How do you pronounce Stihl?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you pronounce Stihl?

• Like Bill, Will or Kill?

Votes: 32 31.7%
  • Like Meal, Deal or Wheel?

Votes: 69 68.3%

• Total voters

aandabooks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Everybody I've talked to about saws pronounces Stihl like it rhymes with Wheel, Deal or Meal. Guy at work insists that it is pronounced like it rhymes with Bill, Will or Kill. Which one is right?

The way I pronounce it is still. Don't know if it's right, I'm from down south:D . But in my eyes it is right, and in the end that's what matters to me.:clap: Pronounce it how you want even if its just to aggravate him, I do it all the time.:buttkick:

Um, You should give respect to the man who started the company.

Gustoff Baron Von Steeeeel. Or what ever it was. But you do pronounce it just like "Steel". The Metal.

I still sometimes slip and say "Still." Just the whiskey in me I guess.

It's still steel. Sheesh, everybody knows that, or something.

:popcorn:

Hey Livewire, at least it ain't another "which saw" thread AGAIN. It's been longer since we last did this question. Enjoy!

:)

Yep STeeL!!!!!!

Just like
attachment.php

lol.
I pronounce it like Steel. But I've heard it pronounced, Still, Stall, etc. But it's a lot easier to pronounce than Shindaiwa! Lots of people around here pronounce that like Shenandoah!

What saw?

It's still steel. Sheesh, everybody knows that, or something.

:popcorn:

Hey Livewire, at least it ain't another "which saw" thread AGAIN. It's been longer since we last did this question. Enjoy!

:)

I cut one branch per year, it is from a white pine I believe, and only make 3 cuts in the branch, nothing more than 4 inches in diameter. What saw should I buy?:givebeer:

Yeah, pronounced "steel." You should have seen my brother's face when I was telling him about my Stihl chaps that I bought. He thought I meant they were made of steel lol.

I cut one branch per year, it is from a white pine I believe, and only make 3 cuts in the branch, nothing more than 4 inches in diameter. What saw should I buy?:givebeer:

Well now that depends. What kind of undershorts do you wear - boxers or briefs?

:fart:

Simple answer to your question as well as mine...Depends!

I say it still. I looked and couldn't find an e in the word, so using my education in phonics I say still. I know, I know I'm wrong in my pronunciation, but I just don't speak German.:laugh:
I don't speak sweedish either, so I just say Husky.
And I don't speak Japanees either, so I just say Jap scrap.

Andy

It's steel/steal no moonshine here no still needed. :laugh:

Now on to the more important questions should I be running 40:1 in the blue bottle or 16:1 in the black bottle??? If I use the stuff in the orange bottle can I run it at 50:1 and if I do should I still use the cheap Wally world bar oil or do I need to get the Bio, should I run hemp seed oil, if I do can I still use the compression button thingy or will that clog the air filter????? If I use the sesame seed oil can I get it in the gallon jug or will I have to squeeze my own from my hamburger????? I tried the stuff in the green bottle that my sisters, uncles, cousin's, next-door-neighbor who knows a guy from church that cut down a tree once, told me to use but the kanuter valve kept sticking and I was burning up muffler bearings at an alarming rate, and at 3 cents a piece I was about to go broke. Please help

Signed; Cornfused
:biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2:

Oh and which saw should I buy????……….and that’s all the info you get.

In australia and a few other countries it is like bill or mill, if you said steel over here around pro operators they would think you are talking about somthing else!

Like KILL BILL, its STILL around here in the heart of Doug fir country. Even at the saw shop. Though they tend to float either way, whatever the cussomer thinks is right. :buttkick:

Last edited:
Back