How do you protect your spare bars?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pbuehning

pbuehning

ArboristSite Operative
I have a rubber maid footlocker that I keep most of my cutting supplies in(extra bars, chaps, wedges, helmet and assorted other stuff. I found a couple of different dia. fire hoses that my friend's fire department was throwing out. It is the best for keeping my bars safe and un-nicked. I keep all my bars(in their respective hoses) for the three saws that go out with me in the bottom. That way I have one less thing to remember. All sharp chains go in the bottom of my toolbox and I'm set to go.

When I pack my truck to go cut, I throw in my saws, foot locker, toolbox, milkcrate(with fuel and bar oil), and my ropes; and I'm all set. Works for me, as long as I remember my brain.

pbuehning

pbuehning

ArboristSite Operative
The ones that don't go out into the field with me also hang on a nail - what about your spare? Do you just chuck it in the truck?

I usually don't know what I'll be cutting, that's why I carry short and long bars, 'cause for now, my 361 is my largest saw (w/ an 18")(25" in the footlocker with the spares for the MS200 and my backup 290).

Peacock

Peacock

Addicted to ArboristSite
The ones that don't go out into the field with me also hang on a nail - what about your spare? Do you just chuck it in the truck?

I usually don't know what I'll be cutting, that's why I carry short and long bars, 'cause for now, my 361 is my largest saw (w/ an 18")(25" in the footlocker with the spares for the MS200 and my backup 290).

I don't bring a spare bar. I just bring more saws.:greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

XJWoody

XJWoody

ArboristSite Guru
Odd thought

On the way to work this morning, I thought about a bar & chain case, similar to the plastic 'hang or roll' cases combo wrench sets come in (but made from Cordura, stitched up solidly & with good hardware)

I like the fire-hose idea though, get lengths long enough to fit two or three bars and fold them over on top of each other. One continuous length would be easier to swab bar-oil/chip mung out of than something with closed 'pockets'.

FWIW I use hooks & pegboard :cheers:

Gologit

Gologit

Completely retired...life is good.
. AS Supporting Member.
Protect the bars from what? About the only thing I need to guard against is dropping something heavy on them while they rattle around in the back of my pick-up. I did have one run over by a D-6 but it was attached to the saw at the time and I don't think a bar protector would have helped.

2dogs

2dogs

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I hang them from a nail on the wall.
Same here.

Make sure to use a Stihl nail for your Stihl bars and a Husqvarna nail for your Husqvarna bars. Stihl nails are tough and reliable, get dirty easily and cost $6.95 each. Husky nails are light and nimble and come very sharp and cost 12 cents. It is rumored both are made in China by the same company.

Fire hose is darn near as versatle as duck tape. Pack Shack and True North make very nice bar covers. The link is a source I can vouch for.

http://www.firecache.com/products.asp?dept=50

Scooterbum

Scooterbum

Addicted to ArboristSite
On a more serious note.I have 16" and 24" cardboard tubes that my vinyl comes rolled on that I use.Their about 3.5-4 inches in diameter.Just duct tape the ends.

Any sign shops in your area would probably be glad to give you all you need for free.If not send me an address and I'll ship ya' a few.Just cover shipping.
I throw a boat load of these away all the time.
Another thought would be the cardboard tubes that carpet comes rolled on.Hmmmm.......dumpster diving behind the local carpet shop........

XJWoody

XJWoody

ArboristSite Guru
Ha I wish.

You don't have little lines drawn around all your tools on them hooks by chance?:monkey:

Nope, my little space is a chinese firedrill. But the voc-tech HS Auto class I went to had tool cribs set up by Snap-on. :cheers: At the end of the day, if there was an empty slot, we went into Frantic Search Mode, and/or we all peeled off our leftover lunch money beaver pelts to cover the cost of the tool. Not much got lost forever.

Thread hijack :greenchainsaw: More saws on the job vs spare bar cases :dizzy:

adkranger

adkranger

Addicted to ArboristSite
Nail on the wall guy myself. Don't carry spare bars usually, but do carry plenty of different sized saw/bar combos..... Much quicker to grab another saw then to strip one down in the woods. If I do carry an extra bar it's "placed" in the back of the truck and I don't think twice about it. It's a chainsaw bar, not a glass vase. Come to think of it, I'd probably throw the wife's vase back there too.............:monkey:

Latest posts