How do you stack your wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rio_Grande

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am starting to bring my wood home from the property and I was wondering how you stack yours? Most of this needs to dry for a year but some will be burned this year. I was thinking about stacking it on pallets but all of my pallets are diffrent shapes and sizes and I am not sure how I would keep it all on there when i went to move it to be burned. Also I can stack it on asphalt, do I still need to get it up off of the ground or will it be fine sitting on the asphalt surface? I need to get on it so i can go play some..

Alternating layers facing the house and then the shed. You're welcome.

I line my pallets up in rows w/ a single row stack of wood in the middle of the pallet row. You can butt one row (of pallets) next to the first & still get plenty of air space between rows. My experience is that making a cross-stacked 1/3-1/2 cord stack in the same "foot print" as the pallet slows drying, but if you are not trying to "speed season" the wood, that may not be an issue for you. If you want to be able to move single pallets around w/ forks, stretch-wrap works well or broken-down cardboard boxes wrapped around all 4 corners & held together w/ ratchet straps. Obviously, stretch-wrap will hold moisture, so I'd only apply that after the wood was seasoned. You can cut a piece of 2 mil poly large enough to cover the top of your pallet-stack & hang a foot or so over the sides, then stretch-wrap it for cheap outside storage.

First off I wanna say that I can't make a nice looking stack to save my arse.

Secondly I'll say to just forget the pallets if they are gonna be a pain. The only thing they do for you is to keep the bottom layer off the ground. I have one of my stacks on pallets and the other one is not. I'll likely just burn the pallets once I use up the one stack.

I am starting to bring my wood home from the property and I was wondering how you stack yours? Most of this needs to dry for a year but some will be burned this year. I was thinking about stacking it on pallets but all of my pallets are diffrent shapes and sizes and I am not sure how I would keep it all on there when i went to move it to be burned. Also I can stack it on asphalt, do I still need to get it up off of the ground or will it be fine sitting on the asphalt surface? I need to get on it so i can go play some..

I stack mine on landscape timbers(3"x 4"x 8' treated, about $3 at the lumber yard)) that are on top of concrete blocks if over the ground. I do the same thing in my woodshed, but without the concrete blocks, as I have a concrete floor in the shed. If you can stack the wood on asphalt, then timbers or pallets would work well. The idea is to just get the bottom row off the surface so the wood doesn't suck up too much water... I don't move pallets with wood on them as a unit, so I can't help there.

View attachment 203111

Last edited:
I stack our firewood like this, on pallets with 4 in or so of air spacing btwn rows

the pallets on the yard have an old tarp under them to keep ground moisture out, and the ones on the driveway don't have any barrier

Perhaps I am just uncoth, but I just stack on the ground, skip the pallets, skip the timbers. I do have "bookends" I use to keep the end of the stack straight. Bugs are not to big a problem in WI, and if the pieces on the ground are a little wet, it hasn't been a problem as they get mixed in with the dry. If I remember it, I will toss them back on to the stack as it gets shorter so they have some chance to dry:eek:uttahere2:

I put pallets on the ground and the splits drop off my conveyor onto them, I move the conveyor as the wood piles up. I also have some wood just dropped onto the ground, I hand pick these up after seasoning and put in my basement. The ones that are on the ground I throw into my wire skids, these are pallets with a coil of concrete reinforcing wire on them. I then set these under the edge of my barn roof so that rain water washes the mud off them, then they are stored in the sun until dry and used the next year. There are pics of the wire pallets on my thread titled "My firewood tools".

here is what i have 12 cords stacked on pallets it works great air runs under and comes up and drys off it works out great here are some pictures let me no thanks jim

My opinion is that pallets suck. Wait till ya break through one of them scrawny boards with an armload of wood, catch your foot under another one, twist your ankle and take a digger with 60-80# of wood landing on top of ya. Been there, done that, ain't doing it again.

I get free 4-5' 4x4s from work, they come as dunnage between pallets of sheet steel. They work great, last a couple seasons, don't stick too hard to frozen ground, and don't take up a ton of space when not in use. I use steel T-posts for the ends of my rows so I don't have to crisscross (except in my woodshed, where I don't want to have to walk around posts going in and out).

When I need to dry it faster I stack on pallets with each layer at 90 degrees form the one below and LOTS of space between pieces.

When I am stacking for next year or already seasoned it goes on top of thin cedar rails that I cut off my property which are in turn placed on larger cedar logs.

I had to work to harvest the "ground" layer of wood too - so I prefer to preserve it.

I went to a lumber yard and asked them for pieces of pressure treated 2x4 lumber that they used to place their bundles of lumber on in their yard. I'd drop in every few weeks and take as many as I needed. When I started to stack my firewood, I laid two parallel lines of treated 2x4s on the ground the length of the woodshed and piled the wood on top of them. I did the same for subsequent rows of firewood. That way, the wood is off the ground and under those conditions, the treated wood will last forever.

Latest posts

Back