How do you think this hickory will do long term?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayArbor

Reaction score
I think it's pignut hickory. The young shagbark in the forest here look different.

Anyhow, this area once had 2 oaks that were cut down. We moved in and I never bothered maintaining the open land and I'm invasives (barberry, multiflora rose, honeysuckle) spread and grew 6-10 feet over 5 or so years.

This line tree was growing above the shrubs. I'm hoping it will stick around since it's decent size (20 feet).

But I'm worried about the crack/hole at the base. It had barberry growing right on its root flare too.

Also, a skid steer drove through to clear the area.

Anyhow, you think it'll do okay?

20220517_181430.jpg20220517_181502.jpg20220514_123316.jpg

I'd keep it!
For sure going to keep it. I hope it lives 100+ years but don't know if should be planning for or planting a replacement close by?

I don't want to fill this area with lots of tree, one large shade tree in center here and smaller, understory trees, shrubs, etc. Elsewhere.

I like hickories so hope this survivor sticks with me!

But curious what you and others think of the damage on the base.

I noticed that.
Looks like it's growing in a bog - is there usually a lot of standing water in that area?
The area does get run off and this tree is close to what I suspect was a seasonal stream. It ultimately grades away completely. Those puddles I think are, in part, because the skid steer compacted the ground. There were 3 large oaks here (2 were growing within 10 feet of another) so those gone also leaves more water.

I'll be digging the stream in so that nothing sticks around here.

Back