how does 044 compare to ms361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another vote for the 044. When I bought mine (used) the guy had a 361 for sale also for the same price. For $400 w/ a good bar and chain, I took the 044 and haven't looked back.

I used mine recently in a 40"+ white oak pulling a 28" bar w/ skip chain and it did just fine. It wasn't the fastest, but try doing that with a 361....

Now if I'd only had the 288xp I just picked up when I had to cut up that 40" oak....that would have been a different ball game.

If the 044 doesn't look ragged out then I'd say go for it...classic saw to lots of folks. Very versatile and great power to weight ratio.

I read on here sometime back that the 10mm worked well for the fellers , but many ended up seeing heavy use at the landing sites and didn't hold up the best there, therefore Stihl went to 12mm to remedy the issue in that situation, or something like that.

I've been using a 361 for several years. Just picked up a like new 440 last week. HOLY CRAP! 361 is now obsolete for me. I can't really tell the much difference is weight but the power difference is quite noticable. I've achieved the 2 saw holy grail now- ported 261 and a 440.:rock: Some trees just fall over in fright now when I head into woods...

Great coments thank you all!! The 044 i was looking at got sold before i could go look at it...did look at a new 441 reg model---nice at dealer.....

044 stihl in my opinion is one of the best saws ever made . you can have mine right after they take my guns away.

I read on here sometime back that the 10mm worked well for the fellers , but many ended up seeing heavy use at the landing sites and didn't hold up the best there, therefore Stihl went to 12mm to remedy the issue in that situation, or something like that.

Nothing last long at most landing sites. Have you ever seen how most of those guys treat a saw?

I can imagine. A lot of tree service employees probably aren't much different. When they don't pay for the maintenance and really don't know how to take care of a saw but think they do and don't care anyway, not much hope for a chainsaw to remain a good saw long.

044 is a Whale of a Saw

I just finished restoring a Stihl 044 for a customer. It needed massive cleaning up and a carb tune up. The chainbrake was in sad shape, but the owner didn't want that replaced. Not sure why. The coil was shorting out due to muck build up inside the fan housing. I took care of that.

Still had good compression and started like a soldier. After I restored it, I offered to buy it back from him for four times the repair bill. He paid for the repairs and kept the saw. 'nuff said.

There is a reason why 044s sell so quick and for higher prices, they are one of the best all around chainsaw ever made. At my local saw show, an 044 will come in there and is sold within a week. My dad has had one for 15+ years...has the orginial piston rings and cylinder and runs great. I've ran a 24" bar and a 28" bar and its done awesome. That saw is still used every year to get firewood and will almost cut as fast as my 064AV :) If you can find a 044 for a good price get it treat it right and it will last a long time.

044 / the best saw of the last 25 years

I have a 10mm 044 and by far is my favorite saw.This saw has put more wood in the stove than my 024,260 pro,and mighty 660 combined.

Long live the 044!!

The package is right.

Power of a 70cc saw with the handling of a 60cc saw to me. I'd rather have too much power than not enough.

Now if the air filtration was only as good as the 441C. However the Intellicarb sure helps that out a lot.
Stay safe.

The package is right.

Power of a 70cc saw with the handling of a 60cc saw to me. I'd rather have too much power than not enough.

Now if the air filtration was only as good as the 441C. However the Intellicarb sure helps that out a lot.
Stay safe.

I recently tried cutting nylon stockings in strips to pre filter the pre filter. Read it on AS sometime ago. Seems to work very good, so far. Sawdust and chips don't cling near as bad to it and if needed can layer a couple and remove the outer during the course of a day. On the + side, it doesn't take long to service the filter during the course of the day during fill ups. I find my body usually needs much more break time then what that gives me.

I recently tried cutting nylon stockings in strips to pre filter the pre filter. Read it on AS sometime ago. Seems to work very good, so far. Sawdust and chips don't cling near as bad to it and if needed can layer a couple and remove the outer during the course of a day. On the + side, it doesn't take long to service the filter during the course of the day during fill ups. I find my body usually needs much more break time then what that gives me.

thankyou thats some good info right there:msp_biggrin:

Latest posts

Back