How does your Dolmar/Makita oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 6401 tends to oil a bit too much, even with a 32" bar on board. Then it keeps dripping bar oil later like a 3-year old that still needs a diaper. I live with that because everything else that this saw does is superb. That includes run with Stihl bars by using a small bar adapter that I fabricated in my shop:

My 6401 tends to oil a bit too much, even with a 32" bar on board. Then it keeps dripping bar oil later like a 3-year old that still needs a diaper. I live with that because everything else that this saw does is superb. That includes run with Stihl bars by using a small bar adapter that I fabricated in my shop:

No man should run Stihl bars on a Dolmar or Husky.
At least grind the Stihl logo off before posting photos ; )

Well, I have a 24" and a 32" bar with the narrower slot, but I like being able to use any equipment I have in the truck with it as the need arises. That's why I made the adapter, and it works.

Don't worry mate. I'm doing the same thing today with my 7900 :) We just don't want to give the full on Stihl heads any opportunity to think we have a case of saw inbreeding going on.

Sounds like you have an issue. If you have concerns about the vent, use an air hose and blow through the vent. Also try cleaning the oil pickup line in the tank, they can get filled with wood dust. If that doesn't fix the problem, you may need to replace the white plastic adjustment screw. The screw has a knob on the end that regulates the vertical movement of the pomp piston, over time they wear down, it's an easy cheap fix.

I run a 32" bar on my 7900 without any problems. Remember modern saws don't oil like older saws, you're never going to see oil sling off the end of the bar, just a fine mist. Not to put Stihl saws down, but if you think the 7900 oiler is bad, give a 660 a try. The stock oilers are useless on the 660 IMHO.
Repairing my 6421 as we speak, original owner burned up the bar, melted the oil pump drive into a plastic blob....Where is this vent you mentioned? Is it in the cap or cast into the saw case? Wanna get this thing going soon, gotta stock up for the winter. Thanks!

Repairing my 6421 as we speak, original owner burned up the bar, melted the oil pump drive into a plastic blob....Where is this vent you mentioned? Is it in the cap or cast into the saw case? Wanna get this thing going soon, gotta stock up for the winter. Thanks!
Found the vent, it's cast into the saw case. New oil pump, new line with pickup screen and new bar and chain. Cuts like a dream, had to turn oiler down fully, was oiling TOO much after repairs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I stayed with Dolmar as long as I could.

I like to see oil on the bar, and the Dolmar is just plain stingy with the oil, at least my two 7900"s were. The bars were showing burn spots with the oiler turned as high as it would go. I suspect an environmental thing with the German engineers. In Germany they run a mix of 100:1. I guess they would rather burn up a saw than blow a little smoke.

I solved the problem by going to the Husqvarna 372. That saw will actually put oil on the bar that you can see.

I found the Husqvarna had better balance, especially with the full wrap handlebar.

I am not knocking Dolmar, just stating my experience.

I was tuning my 6401 today and after reading this thread started to worry about oiling. As I tuned the saw I kept it the same place on the ground as I kept opening the H screw and reving it. By the time I finished the grass under the bar was soaked. As someone earlier stated it's a fine mist coming off, not a geyser.

I'm dumb. Explain to me what the wood insert on the Stihlkita does. Thanks.
Aligns the bar correctly. Stihl bars have a larger "groove" than Dolmars. Here's Dolmars bar, see how much narrower it is?
a153444df147d2c91413ca1be3c7ae2d.jpg

Aligns the bar correctly. Stihl bars have a larger "groove" than Dolmars. Here's Dolmars bar, see how much narrower it is?
a153444df147d2c91413ca1be3c7ae2d.jpg

Duh! I thought it had something to do pertaining to the thread of how your Dolmar/Makita oiled and it was some kind of fix. Makes sense now. That's why I like comic books, pictures help.

Back