How dou you save the good info tid bits you find here on A.S. ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Subscribe to the thread

If you just subscribe to the thread, it will always be saved under your settings.

Last edited:
If you just subscribe to the thread, it will always be saved under you settings.
And..THEN..EVERYTIME someone posts to the thread for the rest of your life..you will get an e-mail fro AS..!!

I personally don't care to read 999 'goof-ball' postings forever...

Most topics with a good question - and answers...are within the first 20-30 postings - then just crap and squabbling..!!

I'm sure you meant well though..!!
:cheers:
J2F

No E-mails.

I turned off the e-mail option and just get notified through the panel. No problem. To each his own. Just a suggestion. :D

Click and HOLD the icon to the left of the www arboristsite at the top of your browser and drag it to your desktop. Better than a bookmark because it downloads to your PC instead of giving a link that may be dead one day.

So now you have created what looks like a new icon to the internet but is really a link to the folder right next to it, on your desktop. Thus, by dragging, you have created two things : a new folder and an internet icon both instantly named after the topic. I then move both to a folder for such things off of the desktop.

If one were to redo windows on top of an old windows install, one loses everything on the desktop and in all those inane sub folders that windows creates for people. (Some are retrievable but for the most part a pain in the azz or gone). Thus, it is better to save everything in a folder YOU create on your hard drive. Never save anything in any folder YOU did not create. Of course, a complete new install of windows wipes everything...

Saving info

Simple here. I use an Imac 5... I highlight the article...(left click on the top left corner of the article...drag the cursor down until the whole article is highlighted), then C/P ( I use Command/C...to copy and Command/V to paste)...into Text Edit (Open that first)...then "Save as" (from the drop-down File command or when you close Text Edit...option), whatever I want...then I name it and it's saved to my desktop. I then drag that file into my Chainsaw folder. Done...All on my desktop. Maybe 20 seconds. Building a damn library in there!...All my MM info, good posts, whatever is right there...Easy peasy...The other stuff is too high-tech for me...

And..THEN..EVERYTIME someone posts to the thread for the rest of your life..you will get an e-mail fro AS..!!

Most topics with a good question - and answers...are within the first 20-30 postings - then just crap and squabbling..!!

J2F

That's why you don't usually STAY subscribed to a thread forever.... and the rest of your life.... and stuff.:dizzy:

I simply have an AS subfolder in my email client that gets all posts of any given thread I subscribe to. I stay subscribed until the thread runs its course and then eject from the subscription while leaving my last read message from the thread in my AS subfolder.
Everything is then available by subject, date, thread, however I want to search or organize/archive the good stuff for easy reference. I'll stay subbed to certain threads for certain reasons and that activity simply gets filtered into another corresponding subfolder of my AS folder. If I want to revisit an old topic and an un-subbed thread, the link is right there for the clicking with any new info that may have been added since I un-subbed.

Yep. Rocket science.:msp_wink:

If one were to redo windows on top of an old windows install, one loses everything on the desktop and in all those inane sub folders that windows creates for people. (Some are retrievable but for the most part a pain in the azz or gone). Thus, it is better to save everything in a folder YOU create on your hard drive. Never save anything in any folder YOU did not create. Of course, a complete new install of windows wipes everything...
Nay..Nay..!!...I beg to differ..!! - I have TWO email accounts...one with my service provider...the other is..."MSN Hotmail"

That's where I have my "chainsaw" and "Stihl chainsaw") folders.

In 2007..my hard drive failed and I had a complete New Install done...all my folders on "MSN Hotmail" were still there..!!

New hard drive and lost all on old one...nothing important on it...but I lost nothing in my "MSN Hotmail account"..!!

And that's why I do it the way I do by copy (good info)...paste to an e-mail to myself...(maybe 2 minutes)..and it's there..!!

MSN Hotmail isn't a program that you have on your hard drive..it's just a site you subscribed to..and you can't lose it..!!

You could re-intall Microsoft OS with a 100 new hard drives...and you just log back in with your E-mail addy and password..!!

And this way...I only have the very posts to the thread that I find informative...none of the one's that I find worthless..

But good suggestions by all offered..!! - I just think my way is the easiest and secure - and FREE...but that's just me..!!!
J2F

Last edited:
I use an app called Evernote. It has a browser extension called a "clipper". I highlight the information, click the clipper icon and it sends it to Evernote as a new note. If I want the whole page, I don't highlight anything and just click the clipper and it sends the whole page.

They are then searchable and available anywhere.

Check it out ... Remember everything with Evernote, Skitch and our other great apps. | Evernote ... It runs on your phones and tablets as well.

--
Quintin

If I'm on the phone. Just take a picture of the posts you want. Put the picture in the folder.

On the computer? Save screen....

That is the reason I prefer the pdf method. Saving screen takes up a lot of storage space compared to pdf. Further it requires a folder structure. Outside the folder you have the html structure, inside the folder you have the photos etc. I hope that was clear.:dizzy: Not as quick as save screen but much more elegant and free in my opinion the pdf method. Further I can copy onto any mobile device and not worry about compability problems.

That is the reason I prefer the pdf method. Saving screen takes up a lot of storage space compared to pdf. Further it requires a folder structure. Outside the folder you have the html structure, inside the folder you have the photos etc. I hope that was clear.:dizzy: Not as quick as save screen but much more elegant and free in my opinion the pdf method. Further I can copy onto any mobile device and not worry about compability problems.

Just easy for me. I just want one post while reading.....hit both buttons at once and keep reading. Sort pictures when I download to computer later. Storage is no problem.

I'm LOUSY on computers. LOL

Dumb boy way.

Just easy for me. I just want one post while reading.....hit both buttons at once and keep reading. Sort pictures when I download to computer later. Storage is no problem.

I'm LOUSY on computers. LOL

Dumb boy way.

Ahh I misunderstood you. You are talking about screenshots. I understood you were talking about saving webpages. That is a big difference. Of course photos don't take up a lot of space.

I use Evernote ( free ) for the threads i want to keep.Just by hitting the Evernote icon on left of the adress bar,the text you have highlighted or the page is saved automatically as well the URL adress.You can "name" the page you saved.And if you want to have a clean saved page w/o ads or whatever,use the Clearly plugin,also free.He keeps only the text in the page.And best of all,its cloud computing like email clients,so if you lose your HDD some day,you still have your infos.Easy to use and works on your smartphone,it stays syncronized with your PC and your infos are available everywhere.

I'm sure you meant well though..!!
J2F

That can be the case for sure

I just "copy' and then 'paste' the part of the thread I like..in a "Named E-Mail Title" that I choose...

And then send the e-mail to..MYSELF.

Then...I just transfer it to my "chainsaw file"..or my "Stihl" file..!! - in my e-mail account..!!
J2F

I get so frustrated with this peice of crap, I just tried the method above and sent it to myself well guess what I dont exist according to the msg I got .Somthing about msg failed prematurly due to the address not existing? can you imangine that ? it's this windows 7 / crapmaster5000 pos computer.

I get so frustrated with this peice of crap, I just tried the method above and sent it to myself well guess what I dont exist according to the msg I got .Somthing about msg failed prematurly due to the address not existing? can you imangine that ? it's this windows 7 / crapmaster5000 pos computer.

Sounds like operator error. :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Love windows 7 never had a problem on 3 puters so far. Heard 8 is out now, but I like 7 so much I aint switching. :D

Back