How far have you gone .............. ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tshanefreeman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a confesion to make ............................ I have a serious problem! I am obsessed with trees. Tall, small, mature, or juvenile, it does not matter. No longer can I simply take the dog for a leasurely walk around town. Everywhere where I go, I find myself looking side to side, up and down, at the trees making up the landscapes of the local citizens. I strive to learn more, either through the classes I am taking inorder to fulfill my post-secondary degrees, the extra-corricular text material I read, or the discussion groups that I interact in.

Are there any fellow arborists or students that can relate to the pre-described disorder? Or is it a disorder? Or am I the only person that bores family and friends with monotanous gibberish?

One day while driving home, I decided to venture down a street seldom travelled. This particular street's boulivard is lined with 75 foot spruce trees. This is not an oddity for my neighborhood, however, I quickly noticed that these trees were not the typical Colorado Blue, White, or Black Spruces typically found in the area. I immediately pulled my car along side the curb, so that I could get a better look for myself. Norway Spruces, they had to be! But, my memory banks told me that this species of spruce typically grows in zones 3b to 8 and Killarney, Manitoba, Canada is 2/3 transition zone. I had heard my college professor speak of some in the area of North Dakota, but yet he had never seen them. I snapped off a few pictures with my digital camera and headed home. Even though I knew that I was 99.98% positive of my findings, I still wanted physical evidence that I could touch and hold and call my own. I looked up the lady's phone number, called her, explained that I was a Urban Forestry student and that I found some uniqueness in the trees lining the perimeter of her yard. I stated how I was interested in obtaining one of these cones to verify my findings. After expressing some non-lady-like words and hanging up on me, I came to the conclusion that this elderly widow wasn't about to let me supposedly "...rape her trees for my own pleasure." Therefore, if I wanted closer and the ability to sleep at night, I would have to take things into my own hands!

That night at 1:45 in the morning, I headed to her sacred woodlot with nothing more than determination in my heart and a throwbag in hand. With a few attempts, I had obtain my 40 foot goal and was on my way home. What gratification! Who would of thought that I would have taken pride in acting so childish.....................but I did, for my predictions were correct, Norway Spruces.

What relevance does this story have to the discussion postings? Well, I suppose that it doesn't. I just thought that this story was humorous in its own sick and twisted way and that I am sure that others have similar experiences to tell or have hidden away due to embarrassment or inorder to save face. My parents and girlfriend say that I'm far to enthusiastic and idealistist for the majority of society, however, they suppose it is a desirable quality. Hopefully you can see the humor in my experience and that I am not the only 'tree freak' left on this earth.

Shane Freeman

Education doesn't have to end at graduation.........................however, one should try and keep it legal!

i am not sure if it is a disorder but I have it too. I cant go up or down a street weather i am driving or walking without my head being up in the air. In my case I have fantasies about how I would go about ascending a tree ,the perfect spot to tie in at, and then what I would do when I got up there . Ohhh man I am shaking just thinking about it. I was up in a 100 ft. tall red oak today it just gives me chills to think about how exzlerating (wrong spelling) it was
I love trees and i amsure everybody here can say the same .

Tim, I'm the same way, I look for good tie in spots and then plan out how i would remove the tree if it were to be removed:D

CRAZY IS'T IT!!!???

it sure is crazy Who else would constantly have there heads up in the trees except us tree guys and girls There have been times when I am driving down the road and almost get in an accident because i am looking at va big tree. hats crazy but I just cant stop it . Other times I'll tell my wife we need to go for a ride to l;ook at something. The first thing out of her mouth is "It better not be another tree." She just doesnt understand!!!!!

This is hat a Vocation is. A little voice in your head Calling you to climb the tree.

Though I haver not done any Ninja Climbs at the houses of little old ladies:rolleyes:.

What about feild glasses and a book?

Hmmmmmmmmm, how about someone that, dances around like light ballet in tree; and then trips on ground because they are looking up? Almost like they are out of their element? Any deja-vous? Or, how about the customer, thinking your a clutz and tripping before you climb, while looking up looking for anchors, paths and hazards? They might even ask the crew "who's climbing?" when you do! "You guys drinking?"

Of course this never has happenned to me; just made it up, like everything else.............! :eek:

I think that is awsome! really if you are that bad that you need to climb at 1:45 am. well the way i look at it is you/you guys/ us...well we like are jobs!! compare that to the rest of the working stiffs in the country and you will find that we are lucky!
waking up in the morning and getting excited about that days job is a pretty darn good feeling too have!

You think you have it bad!!!
I'll watch movies, any movie and instead of watching the action scenes I'm looking at the trees in the back ground to see if they need attention.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

involuntary commitment

my woife says I should be commited someplace or something. WE were driving to our church mid week tronight when out of nowhere while listening to John DEnvers Take me home Country Roads. I said thast I should make a mini Movie about the love of climbing. The plot would be as follows:wed be driving down some dirt road in a secluded area thwe road being lined with forest. John denver on the radiotak me home country road is playing. When alll the sudden there is an opening ion the forest with the mother of all trees in the middle of it.. There is a jug band playing around the tree. My climbing gear majically appears on me i am ready to go Then the lyrics the jug band are singing are

Let my ropes take me home to the place I belong
In the tree At the topohh let my ropes take me home

Take me home take me home to the place where i am from out on a limb at the tips limb walk mama take me home

now if thats not a crazy scenario then i dont know what is!!!!!!!!

I do much of the same thing. Look at trees and figure out the best methods of taking them down or pruning them. Funny, I really didn't think other guys thought of this too!

Steve

ok its getting a little weird. ive been sing the dinty moore lumberjack song! but john denver! brother we are here for ya! if you need too talk and let us all know whats causing this, we are here to help!

lovin all of these stories! I was laughin so hard almost fell off of my chair! I can really relate, we all must have something in common. How about the dead tree that stands in the middle of nowhere that you would just love to take down. Doesn't it seem like it has just been there for years. One of these days maybe it will fall then we'll have to look at it until it rots. Iv'e run over my share of curbs looking up at trees. I really think that we all suffer this sickness. ......... Any of you know the band Jackyl? Seen them in concert 3 times. There chainsaw playin' is so awsome. They play Josnsered in case you did not know. It was tuned ever so perfectly. Lot's of people got kicked out. Jackyl's chainsaw playin was just too intense -I could relate. Lead singer wore red long johns underwear- and was as crazy as his chainsaw playin. I have there cd's and love to play'm but miss seeing them in concert, for it brings out the real craziness we all have in us. I have found myself countless times trying to play my chainsaw, my stihl does'nt sound like the jonsered though. We stand alone, don't we? Jacq

Last edited:
lovin all of these stories! I was laughin so hard almost fell off of my chair! I can really relate, we all must have something in common. How about the dead tree that stands in the middle of nowhere that you would just love to take down. Doesn't it seem like it has just been there for years. One of these days maybe it will fall then we'll have to look at it until it rots. Iv'e run over my share of curbs looking up at trees. I really think that we all suffer this sickness. ......... Any of you know the band Jackyl? Seen them in concert 3 times. There chainsaw playin' is so awsome. They play Josnsered in case you did not know. It was tuned ever so perfectly. Lot's of people got kicked out. Jackyl's chainsaw playin was just too intense -I could relate. Lead singer wore red long johns underwear- and was as crazy as his chainsaw playin. I have there cd's and love to play'm but miss seeing them in concert, for it brings out the real craziness we all have in us. I have found myself countless times trying to play my chainsaw, my stihl does'nt sound like the jonsered though. We stand alone, don't we? Jacq

Obsession

I also have the sickness, it sometimes turns into jelousy when i see another climber in a tree that i have been noticing. But when i see a tree in my neighborhood has been toped i go insaine:angry:

Hi, my name's Tom. I'm an Arborholic...

When I get cut I don't bleed, I drip sap.

When I shower, I shed bark

When I shave I drop needles

When I get a haircut I shed leaves. Fewer of those lately :(

Every February I go up to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area along the MN/Canada border for a week of ski camping. One year we were skiing out to the cars in a really nasty sleet storm. We came to a portage that wnet through a nice grove of mixed soft/hardwoods so we were shelterd from the sleet and I could look up and around. My buddy Dave was right behind me and he hollared, "Hey Tom! Quit trimming the trees!" He knows my dysfunction!

Last night I got back from this year's pilgrimage to Paradise. We spent a week in an area that was flattened from a windstorm on 7/4/99. Since I got to study the trees that failed, and more important , the ones that didn't fail, I think that there is a good possibility that this trip can be a tax deduction. One of the advantages of teaching. Trees are always around to teach me something that I can bring back to the class room.

Tom

Latest posts

Back