how have your log splitters died?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldtoolsnewproblems

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
everyone likes to brag about success, but we learn so much more from failure. Do folks have good stories or photos of old log splitters that died from neglect, overwork, or poor design and craftsmanship? compiling those failures into one place would likely be helpful for folks who are building their own to avoid repeat mistakes. I'm trying to compile stuff from online where I can find it

On a long haul on the interstate, I will put the log splitter in the trailer to haul it. Once I had a bad tire on the trailer that made it bounce going down the road. Where the 2 inch trailer coupler is bolted on the 2 x 2 square tubing that is welded to the top of the splitter, the 2 x 2 square tube broke. Too much bouncing around for too long going down the interstate. Trailer failure cause the splitter failure. Splitter was at least 30+ years old at the time.
1692321202759.jpeg

I was young and didn’t know squat about hydraulics when I built my splitter. Someone suggested that I seal up both sides of the H beam and make one side the hydraulic tank and the other side the gas tank. Sounded good so I did. The hydraulic tank was no where near big enough. The first time I really used it, when I shut it off, I heard a hissing, bubbling noise. The hydraulic oil had got so hot that the gasoline was boiling in the gas tank. I decided that this could possibly be a design flaw. 🔥 to fix this possible design flaw, I built a remote gas tank, then drilled out several large holes in he center web of the beam to make both sides the hydraulic tank. Could have been disastrous.

boiling gas is rarely a good thing, knew a lady who did it for work, more brass than I have. oh and nice bus, i got two 73s!

this is some solid carnage guys, thanks for sharing, lets keep it going.

jrm the main beam on that splitter looks surprisingly thin for the ram size, is the photo misleading or is that <.25 thick webs? great looking repairs tho, shame that making the photos bigger doesn't also make the plate thicker!

I'd say you are pretty close on the thickness. It was a Tractor Supply special so lots of em out there that haven't had any issues. Mine has likely split more than avg and been subjected to a lot of big, knotty hard wood. For what I paid for it 10-12 years ago I feel it doesn't owe me anything. The rest of the unit is still untouched, minus maintenance.

Well, I’ve seen many a splitter die do to neglect. Low oil in the engine did in a few
Mine actually blew the return hose today. Didn’t notice as my back was turned until the piston had stopped

Praying I didn’t damage the pump!!

This is my free out of warranty replacement cylinder from Champion. The nut came loose on the piston end. I gave the old cylinder to a friend who took it apart and found the nut laying loose in the end of the cylinder. Champion accidentally sent me a second one two weeks later which I returned after I got my cylinder swapped out. I had a return hose issue which they sent a upgraded hose free to replace also one time. Champion has been very good to me.

Attachments

• 20220922_162223.jpg
    20220922_162223.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Well, I’ve seen many a splitter die do to neglect. Low oil in the engine did in a few
Mine actually blew the return hose today. Didn’t notice as my back was turned until the piston had stopped

Praying I didn’t damage the pump!!
That fluid gets HOT................so I've been told. LOL

Back