How late in the year do you cut/split?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I say you are crazy if you don't think cutting frozen wood is harder on chains. I didn't say that I don't still do it I like to cut in the cold but I know from experience that I have to sharpen much more often when the wood is frozen solid, and I'm talking below zero frozen wood. Take a frozen piece of meat and try and cut it with a sharp knife and see what happens? Ice crystals are now needed to cut through plus the wood and you also get the effect of sawdust gluing (frozen sawdust attached to the cutting edges on the chain) making it take longer to cut though the same piece of wood when not frozen.

Don't put words in my mouth now, I didn't say I didn't think frozen wood is harder on chains, I said I didn't notice having to sharpen more often. But I also touch up the chain at least every time I fill up. Only time I felt like I needed to do it more often than that was in dirty wood. Or when I find little treasures like buried barbed wire.

Don't put words in my mouth now, I didn't say I didn't think frozen wood is harder on chains, I said I didn't notice having to sharpen more often. But I also touch up the chain at least every time I fill up. Only time I felt like I needed to do it more often than that was in dirty wood. Or when I find little treasures like buried barbed wire.

With permission of those in the know, it's time for a solid discussion of cutting frozen wood, and whether or not it dulls chains more than unfrozen wood. In time if no one else does, I'll post to the "other side" on Chainsaws where the big boys hang :jawdrop:.
For now: my take is that frozen wood has NO effect on well sharpened, good chains such as Stihl. This from too many years :givebeer: harvesting ONLY in winter.
Other opinions accepted IF based on experience. I do know that chains get some warm cutting: you can see steam rising out of the cut in frozen wood. Saws are often used to cut up dead moose or deer in below freezing temps with no dull chains going thru bone and meat. PETA would love this. :censored:
JMNSHO

I only cut/split from Oct-Mar. I hate sweating in the hot weather and would rather do other things. Once I get my wood shed up, I'll try to stay a year ahead with my wood, but this year I'll be cutting one day and burning the next.

My vote is for year round also. Though my favorite time of the year is winter.
I feel you get the most comfortable heat then. First you get warm cutting it, second youget warm splitting it, third you get warm stacking it, and forth you get warm by burning it! Besides, it's a good way to get out of the house
and do something in the middle of winter!

I cut and split all year round but, I much perfer doing it when it's cold.
Use the cold weather oil in your saw so you don't take out the oil pump, if you run out you can always mix a little kerosene with summer wt. to thin it out some. Just let the splitter warm up and cycle it a few times empty to get things moving and loose before cracking any rounds. Better yet, get the manual, hand held splitting device out when it's below -20 and have some fun! :fart:

cut all year around!!

Cut all year around! When the kid stuff and work dictate.Hot cold it don't matter.Rain no.

ill cut in anything but 90 degree heat. rain snow cold its all good.

Back