How long before you dump your mixed Gas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How Long before you dump your mixed Gas

• 1 to 15 days

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • 16 to 30 days

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • 31 to 90 days

Votes: 51 46.4%
  • 91 and on up

Votes: 34 30.9%

• Total voters
usually a couple days, then its gone and I mix more. but I only mix 5 gallons at a time.. once in a while it sits a few days at a gallon or so and I dump it into the chipper to make more, I hate adding to a jug of mixed gas with more. I like to mix each batch fresh.
-Ralph

Glad to see this discussion. Both my Stihl manuals say to only mix a couple day's worth, then say not to let it get more than 90 days old. Uh... little ambiguous there. I used to mix a gallon at a time, and it rarely sat more than a couple days. Now I have some 50:1 that's approaching 6 weeks old...

The 40:1 for the milling saw never gets a chance to age. :rockn:

Usually between the saws, mower, and weedwhacker, I can burn up a couple of gallons in a couple of months without much problem. If not, the van gets a little extra top end lube when it gets to the end. A fraction of a gallon of mix in a 22 gallon tank makes no difference at all.

Mark

2 weeks

If for some reason I haven't used it in 2 weeks, in the tractor it goes, and I make a fresh batch. Even with gas near $3 a gallon, its still cheaper than frying a saw:rock:

I don't usually have much left but if I do it goes in the mower or
ranch pickup after a week. California gas is full of all kinds of stuff that isn't really gas. Why take a chance? Even California gas is cheap compared to the cost and downtime involved in frying a saw.

usually a couple days, then its gone and I mix more. but I only mix 5 gallons at a time.. once in a while it sits a few days at a gallon or so and I dump it into the chipper to make more, I hate adding to a jug of mixed gas with more. I like to mix each batch fresh.
-Ralph
I really wish I could mix5 gallons and use it in a few day's!That would be a lot of sawing for me = allot of fun also! I keep any left overs no longer than 2 months it has fuel stabilizer in it then it goes in the old truck or lawn mower.

2.5 gallons does not usually last that long, but in a pinch a few months isn't gonna hurt anything. The mix has some fuel stabilizer and if it has been a little while i just slosh it around and pour a tank. I have never had an issue with burning any saws that way, or really burning saws in general. Worn out is completely different.

Used to be that I'd mix up 2.5 gal at a time. But it seemed to go bad real quick (like 10-14 days (could be the crappy container I had it in)). I only mix 1 gal. at a time now and thats gone in less than a week. I believe we're getting bad gas at the pump (2 different stations across from each other) so I use premium and use it quickly. If it's gonna sit more than a week I'll put in the beater Chevy.

I add stabilizer recomennded for two years but will switch it out if left for 1 year. After a year I'll empty out my saws, two cycle water pumps, and other stuff and put in fresh mix even though it hasn't gone bad. Same with the 4 cycle ope and motorcycles.

Never had a problem with it going bad for up to a year (mix or regular premium in 4 cycle ope). I use 93 octane and stabilizer.

How old is new gas?

I'm in the 1-2 months camp... usually closer to a month. If I don't use it in the saws or the whacker, it'll get used up in the pressure washer, mower, or in the Jeep. Unless I have a bunch of cutting lined up, I only mix 1gl at a time.

How old is typical gas before getting to the retailer? I suppose it depends on the indiv. stations' sales volume how long it sits in their tanks, but before that? Does it come straight from the refinery into the 5000gl haul tankers that carry it to the gas stations, or does it sit in storage between the refining and retail delivery?

Also is race gas 'stabilized' (in 5gl cans like VP) and what's the shelf life on that stuff?

Mine never gets to 90 days, but if it did, in the truck it goes..

YUP! And +1!~

Edit> I can see real 'race gas' lasting a bit longer but from what I understand of todays mixes you are lucky if its good after 1-2 months. I like the deck protection idea lol, but at least a week before the next BBQ :p If it smells like varnish, it is firestarter imho.

Last edited:
Gasoline age

I use Stabil in any gas I put into a can. I'll keep what's left over from one fall until the next spring/summer, and have never had a problem with either chainsaws, string trimmer, brush cutter, or outboard motors. I did keep some for the outboard for two years once, but it was cloudy when I checked it, so I kept it for parts cleaning, and didn't take a chance in a motor. Gene Gauss

Latest posts

Back