How long does it take to sand those plastic covers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mheim1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Giving that sanding and clearcoating a try.
The covers of my 028 are pretty faded and even discolored (black).
I have been using a 200 grit to sand out the little dents, but the black dicoloration is still present in most areas. Just wondering, do I have to send more? And how in the world do you get into the little cracks, corners,...?
I read a lot about people describing their restoration projects, but didn't see any statement like "I was sanding for 3 h".
Am I just not patient enough?
Thanks.

I wet sanded to 1200 grit, but could not get rid of all the black marks. I was worried about sanding threw the plastic trying to remove a few black spots. I then de-greased and shot it with krylon clear. I will post pics soon.

Last edited:
For the 2 I have done, just sanding, nevermind cleaning, I probably spent close to 3 hours per saw. That's doing the tank/rear handle, top cover, and starter cover. 1 came out great, the other... I'm "content" with it, but no more than that.

Try tire gel instead

Hey mheim,

Recently I picked up a used 044 that had plastic sunburned so badly I thought about buying new covers. Wigglesworth suggested I try rubbing it out with Meguiar's Endurance Tire Gel instead. I couldn't find Endurance, but I did buy Meguiar's Hot Shine Tire Gel and tried that instead, which worked out great. I did only a tiny bit of sanding to take out some dark marks. Here are before and after photos:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Just a couple coats restored the color just fine and Wiggs says it lasts a long time. It's sure worth a try before you do much more sanding.

Olyeller

top cover

Before You paint it You might want to check out "plastic adhevise spray" on Google. It comes in a rattle can and helps the paint to stick and stay more flexible on plastic painted surfaces. It is what is used on plastic car body parts and golf carts. That Meguirs's stuff looks real nice also.:clap::cheers:

I have to try this tire gel stuff after some sanding!
I tried some gel without sanding and wasn't impressed (and whatever this stuff was, my wife bought had sparkles in it :dizzy:).
I don't want to paint until absolutely necessary.
The only problem I forsee, is in tight corners and raised letters (as one can see in the picture; top cover not sanded yet).
What do you guys think, polish with a 1000 grit and then put the tire gel over it? That should do it, right?
attachment.php

If you clear coat that sanded piece with several coats of clear enamel, it will look brand new. Tire gel isn't going to cover the plastic fibers or last like paint will. You may have trouble painting it down the road if you put all that oily tire gel on there.

I'd be surprised if anyone has ever polished it back out to even close to its original shine. You can't just make those fibers go away. With several coats of clear enamel, the fibers are cover, and the plastic looks like new again.

I have to buy some clear coat today and try to post some updated pictures later.

I use Rustoleum Crystal Clear. I tried lacquer and it did not work as well. It will take several wet coats to cover the fibers. Just make sure you let it tack up good before recoating, so as to not get runs. You'll also need good light so that you can see when you've got the coat wet.

I'd be surprised if anyone has ever polished it back out to even close to its original shine. You can't just make those fibers go away. With several coats of clear enamel, the fibers are cover, and the plastic looks like new again.

i have came close....... took 3 hours... not even goin into the details.....
it sucked

Do you have pics, Fred? My concern is that the fibers would still be showing, as well as sand marks. I'd also think it's be easy to melt the plastic while buffing, as well as having it take on the color of the polishing compound.

2000 grit
rubbing compound
plastx
polishing compound

did you see my 084? i did the air filter cover
fibers are still very slightly noticable but it shines
if you are willing to put out ~$50 in supplies go for it
hmmm ~$6 for clear coat sounds good right about now

Last edited:
2000 grit
rubbing compound
plastx
polishing compound

did you see my 084? i did the air filter cover
fibers are still very slightly noticable but it shines
if you are willing to put out ~$50 in supplies go for it
hmmm ~$6 for clear coat sounds good right about now

How do you sand/polish the area around raised surfaces (e.g. letters) without destroying them?
Is that the detailing part of it you mentioned?

Latest posts

Back