how long does it take to split a full cord of wood with a tsc 22 ton

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can take around 6 to 10 beers by myself, when the neighbor helps we measure by the box and we can shoot the whole weekend in the a$$. Really impresses the wives to.

I have a crane/winch welded to the side of my husky to pick up the heavy ones. It usually takes me around 2 hours to split a cord. That's when the wife is helping. I work the crane and keep the cradle full while the wife splits. While she splits i just go around and stack it in the trailer when i have a delivery. So most of the times 1 cord stacked in 2 to 2 1/2 hrs. Also it takes around 2-3 fill ups.

Don't suppose you'd have pics of your crane set up on the Huskee?

I have been pondering doing that to my spiltter.

Don't suppose you'd have pics of your crane set up on the Huskee?

I have been pondering doing that to my spiltter.

Not at the pc atm. Ill post 1 tomorrow. It works better than a ramp I think, no need to roll the big ones close to the splitter.

Crane

I have a crane on two of my splitters on tractor and on my electric table twenty ton. Let them hang above the splitter and cut chunks off. For me the only way. Try it you might like it

I don't think the tonnage of the splitter makes that much difference, as long as it's normal, straight grained, and not stringy wood. All I use is a little Ryobi 4 ton electric splitter ($299 at Home Depot). I can do a face cord in 45 minutes by myself. Splits tossed in a trailer. But in reality, it takes me around 3 hours to do a full cord. That includes reloading the table with rounds, scratching my but, picking my nose, and just generally working at a comfortable pace. I built a table for my splitter, a table to catch the splits for resplitting, and a table to stack the rounds on so everything is at waist level. Cycle time for the little Ryobi is around 10 seconds. I've split well over 50 full cords with this set-up and no break-down of any kind. It's quiet, clean, and cheap to operate.

If I would ever get a hydraulic splitter, I'd opt for the Power Horse 20 ton model from Northern Tool for $949. It even comes with a log table. It splits in both directions. Powerhorse Horizontal Dual Split Log Splitter — 20-Ton, 208cc | Log Splitters | Northern Tool + Equipment Watch the video. You can even get a 4 way wedge for it.

Don

attachment.php

That splitter looks like it has a chinese " Powerhorse" motor . Stay Away . Get a good 'ole Briggs & Strattan 5.5 hp . Mine sips fuel , is reliable , and $200 cheaper than a Honda .

2 hrs. I have the the same splitter and am constantly timing myself.

If the rounds are ready as you say I could split and throw a cord in the truck in 2hrs as long as no mishaps i.e. big rounds that need a vertical or pieces that aren't cut through, beer breaks etc.

That being said it usually takes me longer because I like to drink beer and bs with whoever comes by to see what I'm up to

That splitter looks like it has a chinese " Powerhorse" motor . Stay Away . Get a good 'ole Briggs & Strattan 5.5 hp . Mine sips fuel , is reliable , and $200 cheaper than a Honda .

Hi Stalker:

The 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 in my photo above has a sticker on it that says "Assembled in Mexico". Go figure ???
I'd still visit a HF store and really check out the Powerhorse. Maybe I'd see something to change my mind.
Chinese motors don't bother me. I like to buy "American", but that's hard to do these days. My Dodge Ram is a perfect example. Assembled in Mexico, and only God know where all of its parts were made.

Don <><

How much wood is even in a cord? I don't really know. Just fill the truck up and move it

It takes me about 3 hours to split a cord, but while I am splitting I am also stacking it and catching all the decent break-offs and larger pieces of bark to use as kindling to start my fires with. If I am lucky, my wife will run the lever for me and occasionally help to maneuver a round on the table/splitter. If she helps, I can do a cord in roughly 2 hours.

This is all with the rounds in a trailer or in the pickup bed parked about a foot away from the splitter and the stacks are about 3 foot away from the splitter on the other side so I really just have to turn around unless I need to add to the ends.

But that is me and I usually split elm or bois d'arc (hedge) and enjoy my time doing it.

How much wood is even in a cord? I don't really know. Just fill the truck up and move it

I split this pile the other day and it took me about 2.5 hours and 2 beers. I put a wheelbarrow next to the splitter and let the splits fall into it. Once full I wheel it in the garage and dump it. To save some space once the pile gets big I hand pick it from the barrow and toss it on the pile. I estimate about 1 1/3 cord here. My splits are small to large. I like a random split, gives me more options when burning. There is actually two piles here you just can't see all of the other one. I seperated them into burn this year and burn next year.
View attachment 216250

All done with a 22 ton huskee.
I love the splitter but would upsize given the chance. Need more meat for stringy, gnarly stuff. I worked it so hard on some elm that I now have a little blow by on the rings and can smell oil when she dogs on a log.

Well, there's your problem right there, Bush-

Try these.

1.25 hours and one beer?
Nah.

4 hours four beers, who cares how much I split.
Or stacked.

i was wondering how long it takes to split a full cord of rounds into splits using a huskee tsc 22 ton splitter. just looking for an average to see what it would cost per cord. so if you have a huskee tsc splitter let me know how long it take to split a full cord of wood already cut. the wood is red and white oak and some hickory all straight no knots. 16in to 22in diameter 17in long rounds.

out here we just split that stuff with a maul...

how many cord can you split my hand redneck51587 and how many days can you do it? i cut and split 20 full cord in 2 weeks time and after that i was shot for over 2 weeks. thats why im getting a splitter. i plan on doing over 100 full cords this winter maybe more if i can.

Unlike Skidoo I only cut and split for myself these days and am glad for the axe work. Don't get me wrong I use the splitter when I have to. Back when I was selling wood I hand split for the first 2 years probably 50 cords or so and yeah I was beat all the time and it probably is one of the reasons I have a zipper in my back. I was also young, dumb and full of c**! One of my first purchases when I had some income that wasn't accounted for (food, electricity, baby stuff) was a Didier splitter. Made life much easier! Anybody who sells wood for a living is entitled to make life easier in any way possible! :bowdown:

how many cord can you split my hand redneck51587 and how many days can you do it? i cut and split 20 full cord in 2 weeks time and after that i was shot for over 2 weeks. thats why im getting a splitter. i plan on doing over 100 full cords this winter maybe more if i can.

I've cut, split, and delivered 31 full cords of wood this year and split every piece by hand. There are a couple members on here that know it to be true... No pics sorry. Selling firewood pays for my CAD... and i've had a bad case of it this year. I have 48 acres to cut on of my own... And i contracted 94 down the road for firewood. I can cut and tops left by loggers or standing dead. And whatever is on the ground. Its much easier to split it with a maul then move wood several times... Or jockey the splitter around in the woods. I was raised splitting wood by hand so I don't think about it. I just do it. Im not bragging... Just telling how it is around here.

Splitting wood

I'm a woos fell my basket with chunks set them in my shop which is 64 degrees. Split them put them in another rack. It's only Ash couple days I wrap it put in storage till customer calls. I don't sell bulk where I live a rank is max $50.00 I get over $250.00 a rank not a cord but a rank I am the only fellow in 50 miles that bundles firewood. I tried that bulk selling by the cord didn't make very much money and stayed tired all the time bundle firewood sell year round.later fellows just a few work said no meaning to them

Back