How long for oak to dry?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
12 months from the moment you split up the rounds is my rule of thumb. Some will say 18 months.

There are variables.

Subspecies. I'm thinking in terms of red oak. There might be variables between white, live, burr, chestnut, willow and the other oaks.

Size of splits. I split small for my stove. A bigger split will take more time to season.

Climate. A guy in New Mexico will get his wood to season more quickly than me in the NE. I'd imagine it's pretty damp where you are.

There are differences of opinion regarding seasoning time in a pile versus a stack and whether or not the supply is covered.

It really deoends as woodbooga stated. I like to let it dry for 2-3 years for optimum burn but I am usually burning red oak.

one season is plenty for Oak in Tulsa. but my JUCA wood stove is different from most in it's ability to burn green wood cleanly.

in fact I like mixing green oak with seasoned oak for hotter/longer burntimes.

Depends a lot about your location, humidity temp average etc, but if its green and living, it could take 2 years to split and dry it.

This is true. I just split and stacked some red oak and, based on my sun/wind exposure and geographic location (the fact that we typically have no rain from May to October), I plan to try some out come November (and it should be good to go)

The only thing I can add to what's been said is whether it was cut in the winter when there was no sap flow or was cut when there was sap flow. If it was cut in bitter late December or January, bucked, split into small pieces and stacked in a good spot all summer it likely will be dry enough to burn the next winter. Although letting it season an extra year is probably preferrable if possible.

thanks guys I split it now, it looks like it was dead, pretty wet though, I tend to split small, I hand a good wood shed to stack in, so the wood really dries well in the summer.

thanks guys I split it now, it looks like it was dead, pretty wet though, I tend to split small, I hand a good wood shed to stack in, so the wood really dries well in the summer.

Oak has such tight grain that it just requires a lot of seasoning time, 4-years in a thick log if your going to use it as lumber.

If you split it now, and wait till the real cold days next season, it will have froze and thawed several times by then that seems to help also.

Your going to want to cover it also helps.

Oak is well worth the wait.

i have about 5 or 6 cords split.

red,white ,and pin.it's not stacked but it has been split for 8 months and it's not even close to seasoned.some of the small pieces of pin are burnable but not good as i like.

i say two summers.

Pile it on pallets 3'-4' high in a single row going east to west, put a narrow piece of of metal roofing along the top. The sun beats on the face of it all day and the prevailing winds blow through the pile also With this method being used, Oak should dry in less than 12 months.

It's pretty humid here bieng right next to lake Michigan, and split red Oak seems to be OK to burn after a season, if Cut with the Sap down.

Cutting late Fall through early March is the key though.

Those that have been cut and split spring through summer have been slow burners that resist taking off in a low bed of coals.

I'd say sap up seasoned for less then a year, burns about as good as sap down green!!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

It'll be going in my wood shed, has 3 sides, and a roof. The siding has about 2" gaps between board, so the wind can go through. Our summers are pretty dry.

Latest posts

Back