How long will AvGas actually store?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the same car, including the same color. 1970 1/2 Chevelle with the LS6 454 and Turbo 400 tranny--even the rims I put on look similar to yours. Stoplight to stoplight it was ferocious with the 4:10 gears........

Casey

Casey, do you realize how much that car would be worth if you still had it?

Nice car you had :)

see if you can find some of the green 115 AV gas, it will be less expensive than race fuel and the chevelle will love it. I've ran it in my 68 camaro that also has a high comp. engine (69 LT1 with decked block/shaved heads)

P.S. they also make 130 octane AV gas, color coded purple, hard to find as usually only military applications. You can cut this with a fair amount of pump gas and still be O.K.

I wish I could find that stuff, our local airport only had the 100 octane and it was okay but not the green 130 octane you are talking about.

:)

oil mix

av gas mix at the same ratio as pump gas? also what is the cost for a gallon of av gas compared to pump.

It's an island cabin, the driveway is the dock so the only leaf blowing that gets done is by the mower - it has no grass box so it shreds them and makes a nice band of grass/leaf mulch from your ankles to your knees.:(
Another reason why I don't cut the grass and rely on my female cousin to do it when she goes over! :D

How about some pics of this Female cousin:)

I haven't yet seen a definative answer to the OPs question. I'm sure tests have been done since it's designed for aviation use. Just yesterday I finished draining the gasoline from all of my saws and refilling them with 100LL. I ran and then retuned them all.

Now I'm curious which fuel will make the most horsepower. 100LL burns cooler so I'm wondering if it makes less power. Anyone know?

av gas mix at the same ratio as pump gas?
Yes, Avgas is "slicker" than fuel with no lead though, lead is like little ball bearings.
also what is the cost for a gallon of av gas compared to pump.
The same, more or less.

I haven't yet seen a definative answer to the OPs question. I'm sure tests have been done since it's designed for aviation use. Just yesterday I finished draining the gasoline from all of my saws and refilling them with 100LL. I ran and then retuned them all.

Now I'm curious which fuel will make the most horsepower. 100LL burns cooler so I'm wondering if it makes less power. Anyone know?

Unless you have the compression and timeing for it, it will not make the power that the octane fuel that you are setup to run will and the farther you get away from your peak octane level, the less performance you will have.

Later,

Last edited:
Octane is a rating of a fuels resistance to ignition and has absolutely no bearing on a fuels potential stored energy...... higher octane ratings will not make more power in an engine unless conditions exist that warrant the higher octane rating. And even then it is the modifications that make the higher octane necessary that are making more power and not the higher octane fuel.

However..... higher octane pump fuels usually have a better additive package than the lower grade cheaper fuels.

Last edited:
What are you all storing your fuel in?
Bulk AV gas airtight 55 gal metal drums.

Mixed 1-gal coleman fuel (white gas/stovegas) cans.

If it's capped it will not "loose octane".

Degradation is caused by heat, light , moisture and oxygen the better you protect it from those, the longer it will last.

Oxygenated ( E10) fuel will degrade faster because of the ethanol , it can also produce acids in the presence of bacteria/yeast (e.g. ethanol + oxygen----> acetic acid).

To the OPs original question..... I believe the old standard for AVgas was two years in proper storage but I think now for whatever reason that has been pushed back to 1 year. In truth I think it will store much longer and there are plenty of reports like propliners of 8,9,10, or even 11 year old Avgas running just fine but in this sue'em all world we live in the lawyers say 1 year. ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back