How many cord fits on a gooseneck trailer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poston5

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Started clearing a fence line and we are hauling with a 25 foot gooseneck trailer. How many cord of wood do you think will fit per load? These are full loads of logs. Just trying to get a rough idea.

whats the height and width ? chances are you wont fill it to the roof but if you do i can give you a ball park figure, we stack wood in a covered gooseneck every winter.

The trailer is a 20+5, which means 20 ft deck length and 5 ft dove tail. It is 10 ft wide. We are loading logs with hoe/skid steer and the trailer is rated at 14K lbs. How many cord of logs will fit. Just guess don't get too scientific.

We are trying to judge the amounts because we burn a lot of wood with 2 OWBs.

My guess would be 3-4 cords. That would depend on how straight the logs are. Also diameter of the logs. Quick figuring in my head 10 wide x25 long x 5 feet deep would be 10 cords if it was split and stacked on.

The trailer is a 20+5, which means 20 ft deck length and 5 ft dove tail. It is 10 ft wide. We are loading logs with hoe/skid steer and the trailer is rated at 14K lbs. How many cord of logs will fit. Just guess don't get too scientific.

Your trailer can't be 10' wide unless you have a oversize load permit to drive on the roads. Your trailer is probably 96" but could be 102" wide.

3 cords is about all you have the axles for, and depending on species, even that is pushing it.. 14,000 LBS of axle weight minus about 4500 for the wieght of the trailer leaves 9500 pounds give or take.

About 2 cords of green oak by trailer capacity. The tires will probably give before the axles any way.

Been awhile since I looked at a chart, but seems Oak (green or fresh cut) ran 5,800 lbs. per cord. Much more than one might expect at any rate. Use a log chart to determine your approximate log weights, then View attachment 286313total weight, species specific. That is the beauty of computers... This log was cut short, but still on 16" centers, to keep its weight within the 2,000 lb. limit of the arch and its components by measuring the dia. at the butt, the end cut, and plugging in the correct species.

3 cords is about all you have the axles for, and depending on species, even that is pushing it.. 14,000 LBS of axle weight minus about 4500 for the wieght of the trailer leaves 9500 pounds give or take.

Why must you assume it only has 7000 lb. axles underneath it? :msp_w00t:

Steve

Hauled 2 loads and have 4 or 5 more to haul once it dries out. Cleared a fence row and got roughly 15 cord of cherry cut into logs and ready to be loaded.

102" or 8.5 is max legal width. I've never seen a ten food wide trailer that wasn't a dedicated oversized load (with permits) hauler.

Definitely take some pictures and post them here!

The pic would only show the couple loads we moved. It was too wet to get to the rest and trailer them out. We had a big track hoe Komatsu PC 180 pushing them over and sorting logs from brush, 2 people brushing and another in a skid steer. It's amazing what horsepower can do. When they are all in a pile at my place I will take a picture right now they are in 10 different piles.

Latest posts

Back