How many cords do you guess

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwilk

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys (& gals),
I've been around here a while mostly just reading. A few most every now and again. Well my buddy have finally got serious about getting into the commercial firewood business. I run operations. We have a full tree company, but want to have a firewood division.

We didn't realize getting wood would be so tough. We have ran out several times this year. Note: we didn't start 'till september. Anyway, a buddy of mine said we could come get some oaks off his place. We sent the tree crew out to get them on the ground and buck them up.

Here are some of the pics of the logs. How many cords do you think it will make. At the end we'll see who's right.

trailer has total of 5 logs 24' long.. they are in sections, but that is the length when stacked. average diameter is about 22-24"

PICT0005.JPG

PICT0006.JPG

These are logs brought back yesterday..

PICT0015.JPG

This was split yesterday...

PICT0016.JPG

Best part... All the wood was free.

Click here to see more pics and the progress..

Last edited:
No, tell me not again, another "how many cords" ? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. :dizzy:

Now if you'll give up something valuable ( e.g. roundtrip air from Downeast, Maine to N.O., plus free drinks and gumbo during Mardi Gras ), I may, may, tell you. :deadhorse:
:hmm3grin2orange:

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!

A cord is a stack of wood that is 4 feet tall, 4 feet wide and 8 feet long. In three dimensions, this adds up to 128 cubic feet. A tightly packed cord is about 80% wood and 20% air, so you're looking at 102.4 cubic feet of actual wood per tightly packed cord.

The volume of a cylinder is 3.14159xradius (squared)xheight. Just say it as "pie R squared H."

So, a single log that is 2 feet in diameter (1 foot radius) and 24 feet long will occupy a volume of: 3.14159x1x24=75 cubic feet, or about 3/4 cord. If you have five of them, some slightly smaller than 2 feet diameter, you're looking at about 15/4 cords or slightly less than 4 cords.

Best of luck with the firewood biz!

A cord is a stack of wood that is 4 feet tall, 4 feet wide and 8 feet long. In three dimensions, this adds up to 128 cubic feet. A tightly packed cord is about 80% wood and 20% air, so you're looking at 102.4 cubic feet of actual wood per tightly packed cord.

The volume of a cylinder is 3.14159xradius (squared)xheight. Just say it as "pie R squared H."

So, a single log that is 2 feet in diameter (1 foot radius) and 24 feet long will occupy a volume of: 3.14159x1x24=75 cubic feet, or about 3/4 cord. If you have five of them, some slightly smaller than 2 feet diameter, you're looking at about 15/4 cords or slightly less than 4 cords.

:bowdown:

rmihalek: that's some good math... We know about the 128 cubic feet. LA Dept of weight & measures is pretty clear about it.

logbutcher: just wanted a little fun with some guessing the amount. No big prizes, but not betting our business on your answer, but if you're right we'll send you a crawfish.

Tis Better to keep your mouth shut and let others think you a fool ,than to open it and remove all doubt :buttkick:

rmihalek: that's some good math... We know about the 128 cubic feet. LA Dept of weight & measures is pretty clear about it.

logbutcher: just wanted a little fun with some guessing the amount. No big prizes, but not betting our business on your answer, but if you're right we'll send you a crawfish.

One crawfish ?:(

Free Wood?

... there is no such thing as free wood.

Who loaded the flat bed truck, who cut the trees down and cross cut the big logs, how did they make it onto the flat bed, who unloaded the logs, who split the logs, and who paid somebody to do that or who paid for the fuel needed to do all of that?

Anybody repairing the equipment? Who paid him?

Free wood? Poppycock!

Last edited:
Wood Doctor: you are correct it takes money to get the wood, so it's not totally free. But anytime we can get this much wood only for labor. I'm in...

logbutcher: we don't want a northern sensitive stomach to hurt if we sent you too much cajun cookin... Crawfish can be a bit HOT...

If those were mine, they would have been cut into 8', 10' and 12' lengths and hauled to the mill. If your crew just took them down, are you going to sell them this year as green?

... there is no such thing as free wood.

Who loaded the flat bed truck, who cut the trees down and cross cut the big logs, how did they make it onto the flat bed, who unloaded the logs, who split the logs, and who paid somebody to do that or who paid for the fuel needed to do all of that?

Anybody repairing the equipment? Who paid him?

Free wood? Poppycock!

====

An a Happy New Year to you too Doc...:biggrinbounce2:

good for you

--I was going to throw my sixth grade math at this easy problem but you beat me to it.

Latest posts

Back