How many different types of climbers are there?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avalontree

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
There are many different kinds of chefs, and carpenters, and skiers, and artists, and dog breeders. What are the differences between tree folk? What is the difference between a person who does line work all day versus a person who is in the backyards "bein' the bucket truck"?

Anybody have a guage? How many trees does it take to say that you kind of know what you're talkin' about, if it takes any at all?

Who is out there and how do you define what you are?

Stay safe!

Welcome, Jason. I was just at the Adirondacks a few days ago, actually, and wondering how much tree work there is up there.

A lot of tree guys have the "I know everything you know nothing" attitude, certainly. But bear these wise words I heard once in mind: "You can have ten years of experience, or you can have one year of experience ten times." Some people learn quick, others slow, still others never. But I haven't heard much in the way of strict divisions.

the "i know everything" folk

max, thanks for the welcome; this is certainly an interesting place to talk about trees and its many tangents. I just heard about this forum and wish that I had known about it back when i was climbing full time in Foxboro, Mass for a very intense company.

We had every type (that I know of).
Guys who refused to use any modern equipment...yeah know, ascenders and porta wraps and webbing for zip lines...some of them refused to use throw balls...but they were amazing climbers..which was amazing to see

that no matter how many "bells and whistles" you have, you might still get the job done in the same amount of time as the person who uses just ropes and the chainsaw.

but we a few that were all about knowing every knot and Tree Climber's Companian trick, but were dead wooding white pine at like a rate of 1: 12 compared to most of us.

That line you had about 10 years experience in one year is very true. The company I worked for was extremely efficient...we took many jobs that (looking back) I dont think I would ever want to do now. But im glad I did them.

Not too many trees to get into in the Dacks, that I know of. I do this on the side with a buddy of mine and we get jobs here and there...mostly removals...But even just driving around is kind of disappointing in terms of getting excited to climb a monster...in Rhode Island and Mass there are massive white oaks and red oaks and HUGE beech trees and all that...i love big prunes and I have yet to do one here. Maybe people who only do tree work up here have a different story.

How are the trees where you are? what does most of your work entail? My buddy and I are hoping to get with some of the camps that are up here on the water...the trees are still limited to big pines and birch and hemlock and stuff, but i would love to climb anything that's right on the water.

There are bold climbers and there are old climbers but there aren't too many old, bold climbers.

Wow..too much coffee..this got a little long.

Good posts all around. I'd say a few months of dedicated spikeless climbing and ANSI standard pruning and you're good to go. I used to put "qualified" on my business card just because I felt like I had weathered a few seasons as the real deal. Now I put "consultation". It's an independant consultation, with reference to text books that I do not charge for. But you have to at least talk to me to find that out. Unless you follow ArboristSite closely. Know this Avalon, and welcome, ANSI pruning standard is the guage.

i like the termonology

"Consulation" sounds more pofessional. George Carlin has a hysterical stand-up bit about the differneces in words, like "toilet paper" versus "bathroom tissue"

I am wondering about these textbooks of which you speak. I used to work for the guy who started TCI magazine's son..super knowledgable. I was lucky to work with a bunch of guys who went to the University of Amherst Arborculture program. They actually had a fraternity for pretty much just tree guys. I learned ablot from those dudes.

But, it seemed like the more I climbed, which sometimes seemed like too much, the more I realized how much there was to learn. Maybe because each tree is different, not as different in the Adirondacks as say the trees of Boston University (which we had a contract with) but none-the-less.

Isnt it amazing how much they way a personclimbs reveals about the person? We had this one dude who used to be smoke jumper...balls to the wall...he would climb out of the bucket truck (which we hardly ever used...i was on the insane backyard prune/take down crew) at full stick with a handsaw in his mouth.

He used to call his hands "vice grips."
Footlocking with the 200t on his saddle.

So, how is business where you are at? I havnt checked your profile, but Im about to. Thanks for the welcome and I would love to chat about some of the knowledge you've gained.

Trees and development by Metheny and Clark is a wealth of information. A technical guide to preservation of trees during land development.

avalontree said:
max, thanks for the welcome; this is certainly an interesting place to talk about trees and its many tangents. I just heard about this forum and wish that I had known about it back when i was climbing full time in Foxboro, Mass for a very intense company.

We had every type (that I know of).
Guys who refused to use any modern equipment...yeah know, ascenders and porta wraps and webbing for zip lines...some of them refused to use throw balls...but they were amazing climbers..which was amazing to see

that no matter how many "bells and whistles" you have, you might still get the job done in the same amount of time as the person who uses just ropes and the chainsaw.

but we a few that were all about knowing every knot and Tree Climber's Companian trick, but were dead wooding white pine at like a rate of 1: 12 compared to most of us.

That line you had about 10 years experience in one year is very true. The company I worked for was extremely efficient...we took many jobs that (looking back) I dont think I would ever want to do now. But im glad I did them.

Not too many trees to get into in the Dacks, that I know of. I do this on the side with a buddy of mine and we get jobs here and there...mostly removals...But even just driving around is kind of disappointing in terms of getting excited to climb a monster...in Rhode Island and Mass there are massive white oaks and red oaks and HUGE beech trees and all that...i love big prunes and I have yet to do one here. Maybe people who only do tree work up here have a different story.

How are the trees where you are? what does most of your work entail? My buddy and I are hoping to get with some of the camps that are up here on the water...the trees are still limited to big pines and birch and hemlock and stuff, but i would love to climb anything that's right on the water.

There are bold climbers and there are old climbers but there aren't too many old, bold climbers.

Wow..too much coffee..this got a little long.
what town are you in?

Welcome, Jason. I was just at the Adirondacks a few days ago, actually, and wondering how much tree work there is up there.
tree work in the 'dacks? goes like this. Lot's of people have trucks and chainsaws. If you do not have one or the other, betcha know someone who does, and will work for beer and gas money. Many peoples yards blend into the woods, most trees are not too old, big, or valued by owners. Lots of removal jobs. Starts from there. Aside from that, there is plenty of work and the future looks good.

here is to the future!

frashdog said:
tree work in the 'dacks? goes like this. Lot's of people have trucks and chainsaws. If you do not have one or the other, betcha know someone who does, and will work for beer and gas money. Many peoples yards blend into the woods, most trees are not too old, big, or valued by owners. Lots of removal jobs. Starts from there. Aside from that, there is plenty of work and the future looks good.

cheers to the future!
love it

How many types of climbers?

avalontree said:
There are many different kinds of chefs, and carpenters, and skiers, and artists, and dog breeders. What are the differences between tree folk? What is the difference between a person who does line work all day versus a person who is in the backyards "bein' the bucket truck"?

Anybody have a guage? How many trees does it take to say that you kind of know what you're talkin' about, if it takes any at all?

Who is out there and how do you define what you are?

Stay safe!

Only 2! Oak men and Euc men

According to Don Blair :rock:

I`m humble, honest and kind. Don`t smoke, don`t have tatoos and my hair is short. I`m older but always looking to learn new things. My family comes first. I like all brands of pro saws. I like sailing and screaming guitars. I prefer diesel over gas. Thats the kind of climber I am.

Glenn

avalontree said:
"

Isnt it amazing how much they way a personclimbs reveals about the person? We had this one dude who used to be smoke jumper...balls to the wall...he would climb out of the bucket truck (which we hardly ever used...i was on the insane backyard prune/take down crew) at full stick with a handsaw in his mouth.

You gotta be talking about Danny Mc. Best climber I ever met..............

TT is a great outfit for sure, they do alot of work for us.

To answer your question, there are treemen and there are wannabe's. TT is full of great treemen, but I remember an ugly red-headed kid who came from the frat you mentioned who is and always will be a wannabe

Danny Mac

Worked with the guy for two years, love him!
Got him a stihl 200 T for a wedding gift
he named it excalibur.
Ive never seen anyone do the kind of stuff he can do.
defying death, for sure, on a daily basis.

wonder if our paths crosses?
he's in sales now, but back in the day he kind of took me under his wing (tattered and powerful) and showed me how mental this tree game can be.

did you go to amherst?

Yes I went to Stockbridge and ATG a few years ahead of him but he's waaaaaay older than me. Don't kid yourself he may be getting paid like a salesman but he is still climbing on a daily basis.

what kind of climber?

I climb every day up the ladder of my yellow 97 alc oil leakin busted winshild ass-plund junk lift:

inztrees said:
I climb every day up the ladder of my yellow 97 alc oil leakin busted winshild ass-plund junk lift:

Awesome, I love it. Being a utility guy I Know where you are coming from, Ass-plunge up here in BC. I read thier mag sometimes and no it doesn't get my orange blood flowing.

Tree gal

Hi ya avalon well im fairly new to climbing .I started climbing in 2001 ,loved it from the first time i went up .I landed a job with the city forestry branch and i wouldnt trade it for any thing.I m mostly involved witrh the dutch elm program ,we do alittle of every thing.Back yard, blvd, riverbank removals . Its mostly all done in the winter months So in the summer I get to do some pruning and storm damage work to. And being one of 3 female climbers we had a hard time breaking in the group at first , but now we are like a big family. Any who thats a little bit about moi .:)

Back