How many inches per HP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 3120 cuts faster than my 2100 in any wood that I've tried so far. I've only had the 3120 for 2 months now but its just obviously better at milling. Milling is a big load on a saw and I don't see any advantage to a smaller saw. Maybe small softwood would be an exception and a small saw might keep up with a big one in a 12" spruce. I don't cut anything like that.

My 3120 cuts faster than my 2100 in any wood that I've tried so far. I've only had the 3120 for 2 months now but its just obviously better at milling. Milling is a big load on a saw and I don't see any advantage to a smaller saw.

I agree, buts it's MUCH easier to balance and use smaller saw and mill on smaller logs like this.
attachment.php

But I still don't see how he can be that specific even with his ranges unless he defines an acceptable cutting speed first. My 076 (111cc) will manage a 55" cut in very hard wood - it will be slower than the 880 but it will cut it if the chain is optimized to the wood.

+1 :agree2:

I don't vouch for the veracity of the info that Rail-O-Matic posted. He had some interesting posts here in the milling forum. If you read thru his posts there was also a fair bit of inconsistency to things from post to post. But he had photos to backup alot of what he said. And like so many of us who post here about CSM'ing there is a lot of trial and error involved in the process. The only reason I referred to those 2 particular threads was they did address Geminii's original question. And I think they could be useful as a rule of thumb.

Too bad he isn't posting anymore. He had an interesting approach and some interesting info to share with us. His milling website is also gone too. I enjoyed looking at his pics and his equipment and his approach to milling.

Scott

Last edited:
Too bad he isn't posting anymore. He had an interesting approach and some interesting info to share with us. His milling website is also gone too. I enjoyed looking at his pics and his equipment and his approach to milling.

Yep - I got a lot of ideas from him posts and photos. Many of his photos have disappeared because he used photobucket :( - He also had a very useful and interesting website which has disappeared - I wonder what happened to him?

I agree, buts it's MUCH easier to balance and use smaller saw and mill on smaller logs like this.
attachment.php

Yes.
I like using a shorter bar for smaller wood, it helps balance things out and the mill is much handier. I'll still go for a big motor though.

Yep - I got a lot of ideas from him posts and photos. Many of his photos have disappeared because he used photobucket :( - He also had a very useful and interesting website which has disappeared - I wonder what happened to him?

He also had a website about bagpipes (I think). IIRC, he was making musical instruments from a lot of the wood he was cutting with his CSMs. The last time I looked for his websites, the bagpipe site was still up, but, I've lost the link to it. But I think he was also making and selling the rail mills he came up with and maybe his alaskan style mills with the rollers. I don't have any info on what happened to him. Wish he was still contributing here.

Scott

Latest posts

Back