How many of you deal with backpain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was a brute, nobody on the crew could out work me. They may have been bigger and stronger, but I just put more back into it. Well I can tell you that back pain is not always from an incident. It is often from a lifetime of bad habits. Sitting, lifting, power toys, etc.... as I was saying I used to be a brute. Now I live in fear everyday of twisting the wrong way. The first time my back locked up, I had just finished throwing a bunch of firewood in a pile. I went and got a drink and carried the ropes up to the truck. I went down the hill and grabbed 2 044s and carried them up. There was one saw left down there, it was a top handled poulan, we called it the Frog. I bent to pick that tiny thing up and fell to the ground. I was out for 2 weeks. Well since then it has been almost an anual thing. Never am I doing something big, it's always when my guard is down. I have 2 hurniated disks and several other bulging ones. If it weren't for Medrol packs, I would probably still be down. My last incident lasted 2 months.
I need to retire.

Here's another angle on this back pain!

Well, as the guy who started this lengthy thread, I have an "update" to pass on and hope that it may help someone else. For several months, my left "side"-lower back, hamstring, knee calf and ankle have been giving me a decent amount of pain. Everything felt too "tight". I'd go to the chiropractor, tell her of this and she'd give me an adjustment and tell me "your back is out"-no kidding!!! I could've gone to her 365 days a year and she'd tell me that. I couldn't help but to think that the problem is NOT my back being out and she can't do anything more for me, so I looked through the Yellow Pages at other Choropractor's ads, and I found this young guy who had in his ad "relief from tight muscles, spasms and pain" so I saw him last night and he told me what I had suspected for months-what I have is a "muscle imbalance" which means that some muscles (the left side) are too tight and others are too weak. He made me do several stretches and decided on a course of some Ultrasound to relax the Piriformis muscle, zapped me with some kind of instrument, and will then proceed to stretch and strengthen several muscle groups. I felt some relief from just that one treatment, but the pain returned while working but not as strong or long as before. I FINALLY feel like I am on the right path, as this guy seems to know his stuff. Sometimes the "younger" doctors are more up to date with things, so keep looking and you may hit on someone who really DOES know how to help you!

In ADDITION to all the work and abuse that our backs have taken over time, just a few things...

Stretching is key, as was just mentioned

Driving is hard on the body. pushing the gas with the right leg means the hips tilt all the time. The body has to compensate. Add to the is a worn out driver's seat in a work truck and that can add considerable complications. I had a GF with an old subaru, previously owned by a large woman. The seat was shot, and leaned toward the door. Holy moley, could that aggravate things. We leveled it out with a towel. An inflatable pillow will level things out really well also, just inflate it a very small amount.

A different GF had back pain for years, when to the chiropractor, Ibuprofen, waking up in the middle of the night, etc. She finally bought a new bed for a few hundred dollars. Presto chango, no more (or at least significantly less) problems.

Try to take the time, with the crew to warm up/ cool down, and stretch your whole body, especially before working all day then sitting relatively still on the ride home. After getting home, stretch some more.

while this will not cure bulging discs/ etc, it probably will help overall for the whole crew to feel better, therefore be more productive, and have less chronic injuries.

Well in the last two years I have had my spine fused twice. C5, C6 from the front in 07. One level did not take, so Feb of 08 I had it fused from behind with a graft from my hip. Sadly the nerve pain has never gotten any better, so I am not convinced yet that fusion is such a great thing.

Soma works quite well at night... a little groggy in the morning, but I get more than 1 or two hour's of sleep at a time. I just got some Flexeral, but I have not tried it yet.. it is susposed to be a whole day drug.

I am interested in any info on SET. Muscle relaxers are no way to go through life.

My recomendation on fusion is do your research and talk to a bunch of doctors, and don't listen to work comp! If any one is considering fusion feel free to contact me and I will forward some info I have.

I had 2 bad discs in my lower back L4/5 and L5/6 and 3 in my neck C4/5 C5/6 and C6/7 i was in very bad shape and all they could offer me was a 3 level fusion in my neck and told me they could not do anythin for my lower. I did my research and went to Germany and had all those discs replaced with artiffical discs at Stenum hospital 2 years ago and i am all better now almost better than ever it was the best thing i have ever done and ALOT better than fusion.

Justice: That sounds pretty rough. Fused cervical sounds like a bad deal no matter which way you turn. (pun intended)

I have naturally fused lumbar vertebra, and they don't bother me at all. No surgery, and I got over the injury quite nicely.

I am interested in any info on SET. Muscle relaxers are no way to go through life.

Justice, first of all: OUCH! Sorry you're in such pain!

SET (Systemic Enzyme Therapy) is actually well documented, especially in European and Japanese medical journals and clinical trials. In Germany an SET product is second only to aspirin in OTC pain/inflammation sales. The essential principle is to take sufficiently high doses that enough of it passes into the blood stream and does its job of enzymatically digesting exogenous proteins in the blood and the tissues. This reduces inflammation, removes inflammatory debris, is somewhat analgesic and removes scar tissue by digesting it as exogenous.

SET consists of various naturally produced, but difficult to manufacture, proteolytic enzymes, packaged in an enteric coating that comes apart only in the pH of the duodenum (upper part of the small intestine) for absorption into the bloodstream there. SET should not be confused with digestive tract enzymes.

Raw proteolytic enzymes would include bromelain, papain, serrapeptase, nattokinase, pancreatic enzymes, etc. While some of these can be taken separately for some good effect, much better I've found (and this is verified by all the research), is to use one of the prepared combination SET products. Such products would include (but are not limited to):
Wobenzym N, VitalZym, Neprinol, W-Zyme, or similar. I find good deals online for these and buy the largest bottles to keep the price down.

The key to taking it for significant injury, disease or pain is to take it in very large doses 3 times a day to maintain blood saturation. SET is macro molecules so absorption is fractional, it takes a lot to get a therapeutic dose of molecules into the bloodstream. For example, when I was at my peak of my chronic pain syndrome, I started with 30 Wobenzym a day for a few weeks. I got substantial relief in several days, but kept at max dose to knock out the symptoms completely before backing down. Now several years later I take 5-7 a day of the less expensive W-Zyme which is a knock-off that came out recently. The important thing is that it is impossible to overdose on SET. A couple years ago I was feeling so good I didn't take them for a few weeks and ended up in the emergency room with my chronic pain syndrome in spades. Needless to say I don't forget them anymore.

The only cautions would be if you're taking any blood thinners... SET will make them more effective and you can bleed out, so work with a doc in the case you take thinners.

The other thing is that since you don't want it digested in the stomach, you take it at least 1/2 hour away from food and with only water or juice (a large glass).

A few nice side effects: lowered my bad cholesterol, I became regular as clockwork, fewer headaches, many fewer and less severe colds, and my wife who takes them no longer has seasonal allergies. (These are all documented effects in the medical journals, btw).

My older brother has found Serrapeptase, which is the enzyme that silk worm catarpillars produce to digest the silk protein cocoons to escape them, (There are several products that have it), to be especially effective for joint and ligament pain. He has plantar fascitis and at large doses it has zapped the symptoms. He also has found Zyflamend (mentioned by an earlier poster) to be helpful. I should point out that Serrapeptase is the active ingredient in the prescription anti-inflammatory with the best name brand recognition by doctors in Europe: Danzen!

Sorry for the long post. If you're interested in my own personal journey into chronic pain and SET as the solution for me, you can click here.

Soma works quite well at night... a little groggy in the morning, but I get more than 1 or two hour's of sleep at a time. I just got some Flexeral, but I have not tried it yet.. it is susposed to be a whole day drug.

I know someone that has a painful urinary/bladder condition that keeps him from sleeping and he sometimes uses Kava Kava in the evening. It's an interesting, fast acting substance that relieves pain, is anti-spasmotic and relaxes agitation while sharpening the senses, unlike opiates. It works well for him for getting sleep when pain is present. Just don't take it with statin drugs, Tylenol, alcohol or if you have liver issues. Also, one shouldn't take it all the time. Maybe a few times a week when pain is particularly an issue at night, then break for a week or so.

Thanks Philobite,

I looked up the products you mentioned, and there are MANY sellers on the net. Would a vitamin shop or GNC sell these products? OR who might you recommend?

The Kava Kava looks interesting, and there is a place right in Hawaii.

Thanks again!

pdqdl... HAHA...lol Its a lot better than walking around with only one level fused and one not fused, and the titanium bracket holding your head on for a year. The bracket tends to move a little when strained so bone on bone in your neck really gets your attention...lol Pain is just something you get used to, not being able to do anything for 2 years is totally different. I can now function quite normally, just with some level of pain.

Thanks!

Recently I've gotten the best prices on W-Zyme (the Wobenzym knockoff) on Amazon.com in 500 count. The best place I've found for Wobenzym is martialmart.com in 800 count. On Serrapeptase, there are many places online.

I don't think GNC carries systemic enzymes, but I may be wrong. I think their stuff will be digestive enzymes.

I'm 38 and cured my chronic back problems by losing 30lbs and getting into very decent shape. In the past year I've been problem free and now i climb like a spider monkey!
:chainsaw:

Justice, first of all: OUCH! Sorry you're in such pain!

SET (Systemic Enzyme Therapy) is actually well documented, especially in European and Japanese medical journals and clinical trials. In Germany an SET product is second only to aspirin in OTC pain/inflammation sales. The essential principle is to take sufficiently high doses that enough of it passes into the blood stream and does its job of enzymatically digesting exogenous proteins in the blood and the tissues. This reduces inflammation, removes inflammatory debris, is somewhat analgesic and removes scar tissue by digesting it as exogenous.

SET consists of various naturally produced, but difficult to manufacture, proteolytic enzymes, packaged in an enteric coating that comes apart only in the pH of the duodenum (upper part of the small intestine) for absorption into the bloodstream there. SET should not be confused with digestive tract enzymes.

Raw proteolytic enzymes would include bromelain, papain, serrapeptase, nattokinase, pancreatic enzymes, etc. While some of these can be taken separately for some good effect, much better I've found (and this is verified by all the research), is to use one of the prepared combination SET products. Such products would include (but are not limited to):
Wobenzym N, VitalZym, Neprinol, W-Zyme, or similar. I find good deals online for these and buy the largest bottles to keep the price down.

The key to taking it for significant injury, disease or pain is to take it in very large doses 3 times a day to maintain blood saturation. SET is macro molecules so absorption is fractional, it takes a lot to get a therapeutic dose of molecules into the bloodstream. For example, when I was at my peak of my chronic pain syndrome, I started with 30 Wobenzym a day for a few weeks. I got substantial relief in several days, but kept at max dose to knock out the symptoms completely before backing down. Now several years later I take 5-7 a day of the less expensive W-Zyme which is a knock-off that came out recently. The important thing is that it is impossible to overdose on SET. A couple years ago I was feeling so good I didn't take them for a few weeks and ended up in the emergency room with my chronic pain syndrome in spades. Needless to say I don't forget them anymore.

The only cautions would be if you're taking any blood thinners... SET will make them more effective and you can bleed out, so work with a doc in the case you take thinners.

The other thing is that since you don't want it digested in the stomach, you take it at least 1/2 hour away from food and with only water or juice (a large glass).

A few nice side effects: lowered my bad cholesterol, I became regular as clockwork, fewer headaches, many fewer and less severe colds, and my wife who takes them no longer has seasonal allergies. (These are all documented effects in the medical journals, btw).

My older brother has found Serrapeptase, which is the enzyme that silk worm catarpillars produce to digest the silk protein cocoons to escape them, (There are several products that have it), to be especially effective for joint and ligament pain. He has plantar fascitis and at large doses it has zapped the symptoms. He also has found Zyflamend (mentioned by an earlier poster) to be helpful. I should point out that Serrapeptase is the active ingredient in the prescription anti-inflammatory with the best name brand recognition by doctors in Europe: Danzen!

Sorry for the long post. If you're interested in my own personal journey into chronic pain and SET as the solution for me, you can click here.

Thanks for the great information; I had forgotten about Wobenzym until I read your post. I had one left in my "medical" box at work and took it and actually felt some "relief" so I bought a bottle on the way home. If it works out I'll buy it cheaper online-thanks again!

You're welcome. I'm glad to hear you got some relief from the Wobs!

Because it's always a question that pops up, here's a pre-emptive strike on dosages as they work for me.

Here's what I would do if I had moderate chronic pain say 2-3 on a scale of 5. If taking Wobenzym or W-Zyme, I'd take 5 tabs in the AM on rising, 5 about a half hour before lunch, and 5 in the evening upon retiring. It must be taken on an empty stomach at least 1/2 hr away from food, and with a tall glass of water. If I missed a dose I'd double up on the next one.

If I were in serious pain I'd start 10 tabs each dose. Yep, 30 tabs a day. In fact, when I had my Chronic Pelvic Pain syndrome I was in such sorry shape that I took 30 Wobenzym plus 15 of the 40,000 unit Serrapeptase tabs a day! I went from sorry shape (4 on a scale of 5 in pain), down to a 1-2 in three to four days and down to 0-1 in a week). And once a good response to the pain had occurred I'd start to back down to 7 at a time, then 5, and so forth.

Thanks again!

You're welcome. I'm glad to hear you got some relief from the Wobs!

Because it's always a question that pops up, here's a pre-emptive strike on dosages as they work for me.

Here's what I would do if I had moderate chronic pain say 2-3 on a scale of 5. If taking Wobenzym or W-Zyme, I'd take 5 tabs in the AM on rising, 5 about a half hour before lunch, and 5 in the evening upon retiring. It must be taken on an empty stomach at least 1/2 hr away from food, and with a tall glass of water. If I missed a dose I'd double up on the next one.

If I were in serious pain I'd start 10 tabs each dose. Yep, 30 tabs a day. In fact, when I had my Chronic Pelvic Pain syndrome I was in such sorry shape that I took 30 Wobenzym plus 15 of the 40,000 unit Serrapeptase tabs a day! I went from sorry shape (4 on a scale of 5 in pain), down to a 1-2 in three to four days and down to 0-1 in a week). And once a good response to the pain had occurred I'd start to back down to 7 at a time, then 5, and so forth.

Another great post; I'm using it to give me relief and to help until I can get this "muscle imbalance" figured out. I'm going to a massage therapist Friday whom I talked to on the phone and he thinks that he can help. Everyone always thinks that it is the back (discs) that is the problem, but many times as in my case it's the muscles that are in spasm and pulling the WRONG way and either too strong or too weak and are pulling and causing the pain. Muscle pain was listed as something that Wobenzym helps, so I will be using it as needed. Thanks again!!

back pain ouch whats a little pain

yes the nack pain thing can totally relate , did my back in in 1984 broke 2 places plus cracked th hip , best I could do is become self employed rather than unemployed , nobody wanted a back injury going somewhere to happen .

I built a small business manufactured houses cottages and trusses and yes a saw mill outfit worked well til the 90s when the wife got a progressive brain illness , that my friends totally broke the spirit of more than a slight bit of back pain ..... but we all do what we must wood cutter type people have great get up and go and big hearts to help without being asked

Back