how many of you guys/girls are trained

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am assuming you mean training in woodsmanship/timber felling/logging? I received my timbering education from my father, who learned it from his father (a full time logger). I sometimes wish I was on par with my Dad when it comes to felling. Every once and again, I manage to get a smaller tree hung up out there in the woods, and then wind up with the job of getting it down. Always winds up being several times the work of just dropping it properly the first time. I don't remember a time ever seeing my Dad doing that; says something for skill and experience!

Hum? training? whats that....

All training i've had has been cutting with my dad who has done plenty of logging in his life....

I'm professionally trained to kick A$$., otherwise, the tree cutting stuff is just for fun. :jester:

I was just wondering how many of you out there have some kind of formal training. Some of the best ive ever cut with were not trained.

Hi,

I was trained in the military to cut down or clear trees. The aim being to either create or remove obstacles made up of trees. Thats why I was trained to use just about anything but a penknife. We used the following methods to cut and fall trees:

handsaw/bowsaw
axe
chainsaw
explosives (when a lot of trees needed to be dropped accurately and suddenly, i.e. across roads etc.)

and to clear such obstacles we mainly just used chainsaws and winches (similar to clearing windthrown trees).

On top of that training I've been using saws since spring '87 and had my first safety course this month. It was fun but a waste of time, I could have taught the course myself. Oh well...

Bye

No formal training, but I wouldn't mind taking a course. Anybody know if FLCC has anything?

ciscoguy01, DW & I have canoe'd the St Regis Canoe Area. You around there or further north?

US Forest Service Apprentice Sawyer

I took a short training session (1 night of classroom, 2 days in the woods making noise & chips) put on by the USFS. That session was to get a group of volunteers trained up enough to borrow & use their equipment for recreational trail clean-up/maintenance. A lot of it was common sense mixed with a repetition of lessons learned over the years: PPE, bar control, situational awareness etc... but some -like using felling wedges- was new & valuable info. I'd consider it 'Felling/Bucking 101' - or more like Limbing & Bucking 101 after watching the pro fell the trees for us.

If the opportunity to continue the training towards higher levels of certification comes up, and if my schedule allowed it, I'd attend more in a heartbeat. I'm pretty sure the 'paid' USFS employees get first dibs on the doomed or dead trees... and 99% of that work would be done during their regular M-F working hours, so it may take a while to get the required number of supervised fells to progress. On the other hand, I could probably get "community service leave" (paid time off) to attend if I was aware of the time/date.

How do the OPE mfrs do their factory service tech training? Is it by the prospective techs attending a session away at the company HQ, or do they have some other method (online/correspondence courses, regional seminars?) I'd like to know more about fixing on my equipment... dunno if I could take a week or two off from my day job to do it, but???

Monkeyhanger, were you a Cavalry Scout or a Combat Engineer? I was a 19D3P Scout and we got some of that training in obstacle creation or breaching. Nothing says "We don't love you anymore" like blowing trees down across the road to box in a convoy.

Don

Monkeyhanger, were you a Cavalry Scout or a Combat Engineer? I was a 19D3P Scout and we got some of that training in obstacle creation or breaching. Nothing says "We don't love you anymore" like blowing trees down across the road to box in a convoy.

Don

Hi,

I was first trained as Combat Engineer and later as an Armoured Engineer (32 Armoured Engineer Regt., Corps of Royal Engineers). Explosives and blowing things up was my favourite part of being an Engineer. More fun was to be had when we had visitors from non-Engineer units with us on the demolitions ranges. Their fear of standing next to 100kg of high explosives was quite amusing! They didn't realise that the detonators were far more dangerous than a box of PE4/C4 standing on its own and behaved accordingly. Digging defences, and manually laying or clearing minefields were my least favourite - especially in winter...

The armoured part was even more fun, after all I had a 50 ton "company car" that could dig itself in and still tell people several kilometers away that "I don't like you" to the sound of a .30/.50 and just to underline the "don't" I also had either a 105mm or 165mm depending on the waggon I was in. All good clean fun!

I did train some with our US "Sister" Regiment (can't remember the unit anymore though). They were quite a good bunch (their basketball skills were amazing compared to ours :ices_rofl: ). I also did some escape and evasion with some Rangers, we did the catching and they tried to evade us. They were very surprised at how often we caught them considering we were only an Engineer Regiment. I think they were a bit depressed after a couple days of repeatedly getting caught by us, certainly didn't boost their ego much. Just shows that soldiers are humans too and nobody is perfect.

Anyway knee injuries put a premature end to my Army career.

Bye

Latest posts

Back