How many of you make your own Chains?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watch e-bay,no kidding.I got an Oregon spinner for $15.I just use a die grinder to cut the rivet heads off and split the chain with a narrow chisel .I also mounted the thing on a board which I clamp to my bench when needed.As I said before,when I need chain anymore I just order them from Baileys.It is seldom,but when I do I take orders localy and order for other folks at the same time.It's too bad about the Stihl chain because at the local shops it's like the national dept.

Thanks David.

I just got my Bailey's catalog today, finally. It's been a while since I've had my hands on one. First glance shows a lot of "I'd like that, and that, and that...."; it'll take a while for me to really go through it.:)

Not a pro but have the tools from Bailley's bought in 1999. The rivet spinner is impressive and always makes good loops even for a guy like me who barely knows what he's doing. The breaker on the other hand was never easy to use. I always seemed to have a hard time lining the chain up on the anvil they provided. I sure bent a love of drive links and tie straps that way. Eventually the base of teh chain breaker split in half and so I am out a breaker. id o have a bench grinder though so if one can break chains that way I suppose I could be at it again pretty easy.

I easily took apart an old loop the other day with nothing more than my bench grinder and basic hand tools. You just have to realize when you do it that way, you REALLY need new tie straps.:) Basically you just need to grind off the rivet heads and use a small punch and some light hammer taps to get it to come apart.

we need some footage

There's a bunch of guys out there who have never seen how the rivets are removed from a chain. I'm sure everyone can imagine how to use a grinder to grind off the heads and then a punch chisel to drive the rivet out, but doing it with the right tool is just a joy. It's silent (more or less), instant (more or less) and effortless (more or less).

I think tomorrow I'll take the video camera out and pop a couple rivets out, just to show how amazingly easy it is when you're using a simple tool designed to do just one thing (press out a rivet). It's cool to see, and the video will be about 3 seconds long.

Should I go ahead and link a loop together as long as I've got the camera out? I've got a 25' reel of 3/8 .058 just waiting to have something done with it.

Hey All,

Gotta agree that making chain is awfully easy to do and can save tons in the long run. The biggest consideration I had to contend with was standardizing my saws. :cry:

I had .063g , .058 and .050 bars on different saws. I also was running 3/8ths and /370. I finally settled on the .050 across the board and decided it was cheaper to buy loops for the .370 chains.

eBay has become my best friend, I'm always looking for rolls of chain, sometimes you can even find it for $1.00 per foot. But, ya gotta know what you are looking at. Not all chain is the same. If you run round chisel then ya want to buy round chisel, not square chisel or maybe not even semi chisel.

Breakers can be found on Ebay too but I ended up going with Baileys for that. They cater to large logging outfits so have just about everything you could want for chain and at fairly reasonable retail prices. They will also sell you chain at a per drivelink price. and they are fairly reasonable on tie straps and presets.

I keep two loops of each chain in service at any given time and when one is damaged beyond repair or can't be sharpened any more, I make a new loop to go on the truck.

Sometimes, when only a few cutters are damaged I'll remove them and splice in some new ones. only a few links off the roll but brings an other wise trashed chain back to service.

I will also save the undamaged parts of a broken chain for splicing into other damaged chains.

I've been told I'm Cheap, and I guess I must be because anywhere I can economize or recycle makes my top ten list of things to do.

Tree Machine said:
There's a bunch of guys out there who have never seen how the rivets are removed from a chain. I'm sure everyone can imagine how to use a grinder to grind off the heads and then a punch chisel to drive the rivet out, but doing it with the right tool is just a joy. It's silent (more or less), instant (more or less) and effortless (more or less).

I think tomorrow I'll take the video camera out and pop a couple rivets out, just to show how amazingly easy it is when you're using a simple tool designed to do just one thing (press out a rivet). It's cool to see, and the video will be about 3 seconds long.

Should I go ahead and link a loop together as long as I've got the camera out? I've got a 25' reel of 3/8 .058 just waiting to have something done with it.

TM

I'm ready and waitin on that video. You must be makin a full length feature film documentary.:)

Jim@turf said:
I'd like to use this thread in the Arboristsite.com column in TREE SERVICES Magazine.

Are you going to use the parts about hiding the expense from the wives? :D

ok walk me thru the steps involved in breaking a chain rivet, and making a new loop of chain from a roll:

1) remove chain from saw (hey pretty easy so far :laugh: )

2: ???

fill in the blanks here, kinda like a make your chain loop course. ( id id search but did'nt have much luck.

SRT-Tech said:
ok walk me thru the steps involved in breaking a chain rivet, and making a new loop of chain from a roll:

1) remove chain from saw (hey pretty easy so far :laugh: )

2: ???

fill in the blanks here, kinda like a make your chain loop course. ( id id search but did'nt have much luck.

After the chain is removed, count the drive links so you know how many you need for the new chain.

Count off the links from the new roll, I always try to never break a chain at a cutter. Use a chain break tool, or a small grinder to grind off the top of the rivet. After the correct link is removed, place new link in the chain, add tie strap to new link, and spin down the rivets with a chain spinner. I have seen some folks use a rounding punch to pean over the rivets. I always add a bit of grease to my spinner head before spinning any rivets. Remount chain. Piece of cake. :)

Making your own loops is easy, and the savings will cover the cost of the tools. We use the Oregon breaker and spinner, they are about 10 years old now, there have been no problems. It saves time not having to run to the shop also.

OK, I got some video of popping chain rivets and linking chain back together using our foresaid benchtop chainsaw chain tools. I am connecting together a ripping chain, though the motions are identical for any commercial chainsaw chain.

Who was it earlier who said to add a bit of lube to the rivet while it is being spun? I never did that before. I put on one single drop of veggie oil and the thing spins smoothly, no creaking sound as the metal is formed. Thank you for that tip.

I must edit the video clips first, and then post it, but right now I have trees to climb.

Back