How many of you wash your saws regularly?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't expect that to come off, but with only straight Castrol Superclean and a paper towel, it came right off!!! Very impressive.

Thanks! I'll give it a try. I have spots on the front of my 7900 where the paint has come off from the scrubbing. The Simple Green, soap and water, and the air compressor work great on every thing else, but that crud on the front is stubborn stuff.

I'm a weekend warrior also. I'll use a saw for a day or three, then wash it using a bucket filled with a weak solution of water and purple cleaner. I avoid the hose as I'm a bit concerned with forcing water where it doesn't belong. I DO take all the covers off and get as much of the buildup as I can. I figure it helps with heat dissipation. Having said that, I really don't get them squeaky clean.... I save that for when I'm selling a saw.

I blow off/out my saws well once back at the shop before putting them away, occasionally give a quick wipe with a paper towel and swap out air filters to be cleaned later, but I am not really great about making the saws pretty as I usually have used at least three at a time.

The one exception I learned the hard way is after cutting a really pitchy wood like monkey puzzle (which makes regular pines and fir look pitchless) I find I better clean off the pitch within a few days or it eventually sets up like epoxy.

With my 7900s, every now again the black spots from the starter handle drive me crazy to look at and I give them a wipe with diluted superclean.

Those saws only see bio bar oil, and they clean up very easily.

at work are u running your own saws or theirs? how about sharpening chains, is that part of the day or part of your 20 mins? just curious we don't have any actual rules on loggin around here, i could go out and cut for 20 hours straight if i wanted, couldn't do it-but there isn't anyone saying i can't.....as for cleaning the saws it is usually my sunday thing, work on them dress the chainsaw bars clean them up yada yada yada. i do know what u mean i bought a new 660 about 2 months ago and it is looking used, granted it has cut more than 500,000 bft. but i still need to give it a good cleaning
Our own saws. We get a NZ$40 per day allowance for having our own saw. Sharpening is not included in the 20 min. Sunday is when I pull my covers clutch hub etc off etc for a decent clean up.

Each day of use, I blow off the saw and clean the air filter with comp. air. Also, I flip the bar, so I have the cover off and dig out any oily gunk there. At the end of the season, I completely clean with Simple Green. Pitchy stuff on the front of the crankcase sometimes also gets a bit of turpentine soaking on it, then gently take off the biggest gunk with a scraper [not the real sharp kind].

Latest posts

Back