How many saws would you own if you didn't heat with wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how many?

• zero

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • 1 beater saw

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • 1 good one

Votes: 26 31.7%
  • 1 good one and one beater

Votes: 12 14.6%
  • I'd own just as many - needed for tree work

Votes: 11 13.4%
  • I'd own just as amny - just because!!!

Votes: 18 22.0%

• Total voters
Keeping the farm from turning back into woodland requires sawS (more than one, but 2 would be workable). Sure as heck wouldn't have the 7300, the 271 would still be the big dog, and it's possible the 290 wouldn't be here if not for the hours spent cutting wood.

Many farmers around here regard chainsaws as a necessary but despised tool, and if not for burning wood, I might be in the same group.

Just getting started tinkering on the old projects now, starting to accumulate some parts for them. Once the men's crisis center is finished down in the granary, there will be more quality time with wrenches and old saws. I sure don't need 'em, but I have wild dreams of fixing and selling to finance yet more fancy modern saws. This proves CAD is not necessarily firewood related, since I have 0 need to use these for heating, but it is somewhat brought on by the statement "Yeah I cut wood, I'll take a look at that old ..... you've got. (How my freebie Super 2 and 261 came to me.)

BTW, "Just as many, just because" was closest to my answer, so that's what I voted.

Had them all before burning as just the maintanence around here required one good do-it-all saw. The little limbing saw is just too nice to have.

And the beaters aren't worth anything for sale, but invaluable saw borrowing deterant! :monkey:

Chain saws are like guns, you just can't have too many. I don't heat w/ wood, but would stihl own 1/2 dozen or so.

It would be the same for me as before I installed my wood stove. Just one, and that one would be my trusty Husky 36. I cut trees big enough that required a 4 sided cut and still had to kick the log to break the 2" square left in the middle. That was a rare occasion of course, but for cleaning up around the yard, and other small chores, it met all my needs.

BEFORE I found this site, living in the country, didn't heat with wood...a Stihl 029/290 (as would most likely be recommended by my local dealer).

AFTER finding this site, living in the country, didn't heat with wood...a used Stihl 036/360. If I had to cut firewood for someone else...the 044 and 260.

Kevin

Never met one I didn't like

After inheriting a 009L I bought a husky 350. Did some cleanups for my lawn business and got the chips in my blood...the saw actually caused me to rip out the gas insert and put in a wood burner last year. Now I reap the financial benefits of being self sufficient for my heat, get to spend the weekends doing something productive and REALLY fun, and when I wear the old school hockey mask doing it...keeps the neighbors guessing about my sanity. Who could pass that up?:chainsaw:

Back