how many wear hand and/or shoulder protection?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

God of ArboristSite
Reaction score
Sure most of us wear PPE like chaps and hardhat/ears. but how many of you actually wear hand and/or shoulder protection (stihl protective shirt).

look at this chart of accidents. note hands receive almost identical number of accidents as leg area. Chaps are readily available most any supply house. but look for a usable pair of protective gloves.

they are hard to find... stihl's glove is really a mitt. who can use a mitt to handle most wood and climb too?

anyways.. ended up finding of all places. Harbor freight tools, a nice pair of kevlar backed gloves for $10. good dexterity, have not done a cut test yet. first pair is almost worn out at finger tips. will be doing a cut test after buying another pair.

how many of you wear hand and/or shoulder protection?

attachment.php

Last edited:
All I can say is I were leather gloves all the time. I know they don't offer any protection but I feel naked without them. I wear a a thin glove when bird hunting keeps the Alberta rose thorns away. My hands are alway's what ever the air temp is if it is really cold my hands feel like ice!Other than sharpening my chain. ( I have cut myself doing that) my hands are gripped on the saw and nowhere near the chain.

Gloves and vest

So I started with chaps and simple gloves. Then I took care of an older man with most of his hand turned to hamburger. I bought Baileys chainsaw gloves. They are great, and I work in them all day. But I do have the Husqvarna mitts for the real cold days.

The vest I wear is an older Swede Pro (pre-fire), and I understand that they will be shipping again in April of this year. I have to say that the vest started because of some rogue hunters up in our sugarbush. It's pretty bright, and offers protection, although in my real job I have only had 3 chainsaw accidents to date. The hand guy, another guy who got his femoral, and he was pinned under a relatively small tree, but his 9 year old called 911. And finally, a fatality, but that was a really heavy tree, and no match for his PPE.

I wear ordinary close fitting work gloves. Saves me from my Silky saw and gives good grip.
No arm protection unless working in really scratchy trees, then just long sleeves.

Chainsaw gloves only come with protection on the back of the left hand...

Back