How much burnt so far?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much have you burnt to date?

• Well over a cord

Votes: 84 35.6%
  • Half a cord to a cord

Votes: 81 34.3%
  • less than half a cord

Votes: 64 27.1%
  • none or just the occasional fire

Votes: 7 3.0%

• Total voters
I have gone through well over a cord but then again I have a tendency to keep the stove full. I don't like to be cold when I walk around the house in my shorts and t-shirts. My friends were all shocked to see me in jeans last weekend. lol

Well over a full cord so far, been runnin' one stove full time for a month, and fired up the other a couple times when the weather got a little colder.

I've burned about a half cord...maybe less.
It was around 0 this morning maybe a touch warmer. I am burning red/white oak.
I lit my furnace the last week of Oct. and it's been running steady ever since...just refire every morning and night.
We have 6" of ice on the lakes and 6" of snow...looking for another storm tommorow...oh goodie...so much for good ice.

Last edited:
BTW: I never even try to "burn" punky, or rotted wood; it has little if any BTUs for heat. No cellulose left. Dead stands may have some heat in them if not co0mpletely gone. That punky stuff is best left on the ground as fertilizer for future growth. That is my order WB, or N.H. will really be a Live Free AND Die place.:laugh:

Ummmm....no.

It all has a place in the mix. That woofah wood (toss it in, and WHOOF! it's gone) is great in the cookstove to get the water boiling fast or to quicken the oven for baking.

I like our stove, but she and I have an understanding. She eats what I feed her. Lift up the lid over the firebox and in it goes. In the end, she knows she's just a lid - and can be replaced if need be.

How many of you are 100%, 24/7 woodburners -stoves or OWB or masonry ?
How many with oil/gas/electric central heating such as heat pumps or geothermal, heat up from 65 F ?
Another poll ?
I think I'm in the distinct minority of cookstove burners. They heat like nothing, but have small fireboxes.

Upside is free cooking Sep-May.

Downside is the oil furnace kicks in around 2-3am. Last year we used about 65 gallons of oil. Since I 'donate' my time to the cause of wood gathering, total cost of heating was about $200, plus depreciation of equipment and a little wear and tear on the truck.

2 cords so far mostly white ash and hopherbeam some silver maple , getting into my red oak , red maple and some more white ash in about 2 weeks .

We just had some weird weather here in CT got real warm now I woke up and its 32 degrees so the wood furnace is at full capacity again . :clap:

love my wood so does the wife :hmm3grin2orange:

No offense but, do you have any insulation in your home? Are you talking about 128 cu ft cords? It's barely long-sleeve shirt weather here.

1/2 cord so far to take off the morning chill.

Just under a cord so far. Mostly silver maple,walnut and a little cherry...will soon switch to cherry and ash to be followed up by ash, hickory and oak...will save hedge (osage orange) for late jan-feb...I loaded the wood shed in reverse order thinking it would work...I will see...first in will be last out so hopefully I don't get to my (spring) silver maple in Feb...could be fun

1/3 of a cord so far. Not even a pilot light on in the propane sucker since late last December and plan on keeping it that way.

About 12 sticks here in this corner of the middle east, just to see everything is working...
Hard to believe the calendar it's December... Today was around 80F... No rain so far.

SA

I am also proud to be a 24/7 woodburner. Well....not always burning wood 24/7 but when I need it. Got an oil furnace but don't like it or the cost of running it. If the house needs heat, wood is the fuel of choice. Oil furnace has not run in a long time. Probably something like 5 years. Besides, nobody ever roasted chestnuts on the ol' oil furnace.

100% wood, but not 24/7. Usually not cold enough + only heating 600-1000 Sq ft
How many with oil/gas/electric central heating such as heat pumps or geothermal, heat up from 65 F ?

Only use an electric space heater w/ outlet thermostat when out of town to keep house at 45 deg.

My 'light bill' ( that's an electric bill for you normal people ) averages $30.

No offense but, do you have any insulation in your home? Are you talking about 128 cu ft cords? It's barely long-sleeve shirt weather here.

1/2 cord so far to take off the morning chill.

2500 sqft 150 year old house , dont like cold and I:blob2: have lots of wood , why not be warm ?

Started burning in late Sept. (mostly for the hot water) Burned mostly junk wood for the first month or so. I figure I went through 3/4 of a cord total. A little over 1/4 cord was some good oak. Starting to look like some serious temps in the area for the next week so I'll be using about 1/3 of a cord each week.

started sporadically to heat at night back around the first weekend of October. Now I start a fire every night when I get home, and load my insert (Dutchwest DW2500) before I go to bed and let it burn out as I don't have time to load it in the morning. I come home to 60-65 degrees every afternoon. When I am feeding it throughout the night, it will be in the mid 70's in the front half of the house (kitchen, bathroom, living room where the stove is) and in the mid to upper 60's in the back half (the bedrooms and my office) just the way I like it.

I'm at about 2/3 of a cord, mostly ash and some junk wood thrown in.

In a week or so, I may very well get up a little earlier to keep the fire going during the day while I'm at work.

I have a 1000ft ranch w/ a 1000ft finished basement. I'm gonna try to heat upstairs solely w/ wood, and only turn on the oil furnace for weekends away from home (set the 'stat for 50 to not freeze the pipes). The downstairs only really gets turned on for when I have the boys over to watch football and drink beer down in the mancave. I don't even need to heat the basement because of the washover heat from the oil furnace (for hot water) that cycles a few times a day.

As a single guy in his mid 20's, my neighbors find it fascinating that I heat my home w/ wood, as they are what most would consider the hoity toity type. They had no idea I did because I burn only seasoned wood at a controlled rate so there is never any smoke emitted from the chimney. They think it's funny and "hickish" that I have hedgerows of wood stacked around the perimeter of my back yard property. What's not "hickish" is the 3-4 grand I'll save. That money is already earmarked for a January vacation to Hawaii and a Mrch trip to Vegas!:chainsawguy:

a little over 1/2 cord so far of mostly Gum ... starting to get cold
finally backed up with quality Oak ... lots of wood to split yet

cherry wood should be sold for BBQ $$$... relatively rare brings premium price

I got a hook-up yesterday on some fruit cherry trees, Never messed with it before, It should be better than normal cherry wood right, wrong? Anyways buying the wood for $15 per truck load = about two ricks. looks easy to do they just want Me to leave the stump up 3' so they can pull them out. .

Last edited:
Just burnt the last of the light wood for this year (Siberian elm) and have transitioned to the midweight mix of Ash, Red Oak, Hackberry, and some Honeylocust. Have a bunch of Burr Oak for the real cold months.

Probably have burnt just less than a face cord.

Have put in about 1.5 face cord through the old Lopi. We are 24/7 wood burners I hate the sound of our hardly been used since I built the house gas furnace firing up. I run the blower quite a bit though. I have vaulted ceilings over the woodstove with a large cold air return in the peak of the ceiling. When it gets too hot in the kitchen and living room, I turn the blower on to suck the heat out and send it to the rest of the house.

Back