How much compression for a Stihl 044?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCB

Reaction score
Hi new to the site. There is a lot of good info here. Well maybe someone could help me out. I have Stihl 044 with 120 # of compression. Was thinkin of putting new piston and rings or maybe a bigbore kit. My 036 Pro has 150# compression. Both @ 4000' elevation. The 044 runs good but maybe not as strong as it once did. What do ya think? Is 120# enough?

Might be close to needing new rings. At 5000' ASL, a new, freshly broke-in 460 pulled over at almost 140. So, I would say you're a little low at 120.

I like to see 140, 120 is getting a little worn. 100 is really worn. I have a little husky thats down to 125, but it still runs good and I'm still using it!

Thanks for the info. I think I will put one of Bailey's big bore kits on it. Has anyone done this? Do I have to make any modifications? Any good or bad things about the kit? Again thanks for any info.

Thanks for the info. I think I will put one of Bailey's big bore kits on it. Has anyone done this? Do I have to make any modifications? Any good or bad things about the kit? Again thanks for any info.

Some have said that the quality control on the aftermarket BB kits is not all that great; some get 140lbs of compression others get 165lbs. Who knows if it's error on the part of the person administering the compression test. I'd like to find out how much machining is necessary to put an OEM 046 p+c on an 044 with the right wrist pin.

Some have said that the quality control on the aftermarket BB kits is not all that great; some get 140lbs of compression others get 165lbs. Who knows if it's error on the part of the person administering the compression test. I'd like to find out how much machining is necessary to put an OEM 046 p+c on an 044 with the right wrist pin.

Elevation changes affect compression readings, as does relative humidity, the type of tester and so-on.

Does anyone know how much machining is necessary to put a bailey's 046 big bore on 044?

Search (046BB), the information is out there! A little filing and grinding...nothing a good shadetree mechanic couldn't handle.

Bailey's has a great instruction set for installing a piston and cylinder for the Big Bore 044. Look for the PDF file at the bottom of this link: http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi-bin/baileys/5183?mv_session_id=nCXoCPIn&product_sku=BB 044

The PDF file has lots of good quality color pictures and the instructions seem pretty complete.

I just checked their site and they say they are sold out of the Big Bore 044 kits. Hopefully, they will get more in soon.

I want to get one for my 044.

My 044 still started & ran real good but compression check was only 125. Pulled the jug off looked good piston was a bit carboned up so soaked it in sea foam overnight. Took some emory cloth to the piston to get the last traces of carbon off couldnt see any thing wrong with it so just ordered a set of stihl rings for it from cheap stihl parts 1/2 the price of the dealer 25 bucks. Hi . The jugs over at the dealer waiting for a light hone job just enough to seat the rings. With the savings I ordered the dual port front cover when I dropped the jug off. Should be good to go & real cheap.

Opps . Allmost forgot. If you add the dual port muffler cover to it will most likely need carburator limiter caps removed & the fuel delivery turned up a tad. If you can go this route it will probably crank out more than just replacing with a big bore kit. :chainsaw:

Back