how much compression should a 044 have?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bester

Reaction score
I've got an 044 that bogs in big wood so I checked the compression.It was 130-135# cold and 115 hot.Is this normal or is it time for a rebuild? How do the BB kits hold up? My dealer suggested trying a smaller drive gear but I'd rather get this thing running right until I can afford a 460 or 660.If anyone has any suggestions to help me decide I'd appreciate hearing them,Thanks

I've got an 044 that bogs in big wood so I checked the compression.It was 130-135# cold and 115 hot.Is this normal or is it time for a rebuild? How do the BB kits hold up? My dealer suggested trying a smaller drive gear but I'd rather get this thing running right until I can afford a 460 or 660.If anyone has any suggestions to help me decide I'd appreciate hearing them,Thanks

pull the muffler and take a looksie you might be able to get away with just rings

I say 150+psi is good. If the piston and jug is good you can just throw in the rings (or piston and rings)and go cut more woods.

Before I would try a BB kit. I think I would looking into just the rings or piston and rings.
If you want more power port the cylinder while you have it off. If you mess it up that gives you a reason to really get a BB kit now.

But I'm willing to bet if you saw was running right you wouldn't be asking about a BB kit anyway.

I answered this for you on TBN but the first step should be a thorough evaluation of the saw with a compression gauge that is good for small displacement engines.

I would do a visual inspection of the P&C followed by a pressure check of the fuel system and a pressure and vacuum check of the saw.

The 044/440 should not be a dog. that's for sure!

How do I port it

I think I'll tear it down today and plan on hopefully a fresh piston.Should I order a Stihl or is one from Baileys O K? What do you suggest as far as porting it? I've never done this but theres a first time for every thing.Where do I take the material from so I dont do more harm than good?I cant wait to get started, Thanks for any help

Pics required

I think I'll tear it down today and plan on hopefully a fresh piston.Should I order a Stihl or is one from Baileys O K? What do you suggest as far as porting it? I've never done this but theres a first time for every thing.Where do I take the material from so I dont do more harm than good?I cant wait to get started, Thanks for any help

I hope you have a camera handy. Shoot as you go!

Dan

Try to find an OEM piston and rings if you can, you will be glad you did. Many threads bewailing the aftermarket stuff.

I'll second that. I have used both aftermarket and OEM before. I found that the aftermaket fitment has been hit and miss for me. I had one work excellent to one too loose to make good compression on aftermaket pistons. I have not had an aftermarket piston come part on me though.

Back