How much compression should an Echo cs590 and cs400 have?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrassGuerilla

Olympic Piss-reving wanna be.
Reaction score
Friend of a friend is lookin to sell a couple Echo saws. Compression is around 130 on both. Seems a bit low. I was hoping to get an idea of what they should have. Quick search turned up very little.

Friend of a friend is lookin to sell a couple Echo saws. Compression is around 130 on both. Seems a bit low. I was hoping to get an idea of what they should have. Quick search turned up very little.
130 on the 400 is pretty solid. That's getting a little on the lower side for the 590. Although the book actually calls for 110-180. Might want to pull the muffler and check for scoring. Very easy to do on that saw.

Just a general comment, you sure you have the correct adapter on your comp tester? Values can be quite off then.

We are fortunate to have a dealer and Echo sponsor that has joined our ranks. I am trying to learn more about the Echo line of saws. You have commented that the Echo book states 110 psi compression is acceptable. To me, that low amount of compression is close to a saw being unable to run, much less run correctly. Can you please comment as to why Echo would consider that "acceptable" ?

130 on the 400 is pretty solid. That's getting a little on the lower side for the 590. Although the book actually calls for 110-180. Might want to pull the muffler and check for scoring. Very easy to do on that saw.

We are fortunate to have a dealer and Echo sponsor that has joined our ranks. I am trying to learn more about the Echo line of saws. You have commented that the Echo book states 110 psi compression is acceptable. To me, that low amount of compression is close to a saw being unable to run, much less run correctly. Can you please comment as to why Echo would consider that "acceptable" ?
To be honest I can't give 100% definite answer to that. My educated guess would be that if an engine is being troubleshooted for a will not start issue the dealer then knows the lowest compression the engine will start and run at. If a customer borough me a saw with a 110 even 120 reading I would highly recommend a rebuild. That being said I have seen some echos run with no issues at less than 100. I have service update school in a couple months and I will try to remember to ask that question.

Thank youWSE. I assume you can distinguish between a pro echo saw and a homeowner saw by the addition of the "P" after the numeric designation. Is echo similar to the rest of the saw makers in that their line of homeowner saws are the clamshell engine configuration? I have an older 702evl and it is a very solid saw, although heavy. Thank you.

Thank youWSE. I assume you can distinguish between a pro echo saw and a homeowner saw by the addition of the "P" after the numeric designation. Is echo similar to the rest of the saw makers in that their line of homeowner saws are the clamshell engine configuration? I have an older 702evl and it is a very solid saw, although heavy. Thank you.
Yes the P actually stands for professional cutting system. But all the P models are magnesium cased and what I would consider to be "pro saws." Yes their homeowner saws have the clamshell design but the CS-370 and CS-400 are quite bullet proof and used by many tree trimming companies etc. I don't think much of the CS-310
Or 352. Wouldn't sell them to anyone but a homeowner.

Also the CS-590 is not the clamshell design it's all magnesium casing which makes it the very best "non pro" saw on the market especially for the price IMO.

My better CS400 saws will have a little over 140 cold, my in good shape 385 Husky has 165 on the same gauge. The Cs400 muff modded has to be one of the best limbing saws made, starts easy, handles great, light 13# ready to cut, built good and reasonable with reasonable parts. Steve

Also the CS-590 is not the clamshell design it's all magnesium casing which makes it the very best "non pro" saw on the market especially for the price IMO.
I think the 555 is much a better non-pro saw, the price difference not withstanding. The 590/600/620 have a very plasticky feel. I do agree that for the money the 590 is a good buy.

I think the 555 is much a better non-pro saw, the price difference not withstanding. The 590/600/620 have a very plasticky feel. I do agree that for the money the 590 is a good buy.
I guess I consider the 555 a pro saw. Namely because it's the same price range as the Echo 60cc pros and I'm an Echo and Husky dealer. If the two were the same price I would grab the 555. It is a bit lighter and maybe a touch faster. But I just can't see it as a better value.

There was a very brief (a few days) on ebay where the Timberwolf was selling for $299 and free shipping. I regret not recognizing how good that deal was as they regularly sell for over $400 now, which is still a good deal for a 60cc pro saw.

Latest posts

Back