How much do you charge for a cord of wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While Freyeburg is, in fact, in Maine - this guy's screen name is actually Fyrebug (fire bug) and his location states that he's in Canada.

BTW, You're correct about firewood selling in Maine. Under Maine law, firewood must be sold in one of three allowable units: standard cord, cubic foot, or loose thrown cord.

Source:

Maine Department of Agriculture: Welcome

I think from now on, I'll be buying what they call here a full 'bush' cord. In other words a full cord.

I think from now on, I'll be buying what they call here a full 'bush' cord. In other words a full cord.

Where are you seeing bush cord in that link? I see acceptable methods being cubic feet, standard cord or loose thrown cord. Nothing at all about a bush cord.

Damn, with all these different firewood measurements. Even on a site devoted to wood and wood products we can't all agree that a cord is 128 cubic feet??? :bang: A guy could get driven to drink with all the the bush, face, half face, rick, bushel or whatever the hell else is sold in your area!

Last edited:
While Freyeburg is, in fact, in Maine - this guy's screen name is actually Fyrebug (fire bug) and his location states that he's in Canada.

Thanks for pointing that out, I had just popped over from the Chain Saw Forum and reading about the Freyburg Fair this coming week. I edited my post to eliminate my brain fart. By the way, here is a link to the Woodsmen's Day events.

Woodsmen's Day

Damn, with all these different firewood measurements. Even on a site devoted to wood and wood products we can't all agree that a cord is 128 cubic feet??? :bang:

Ricks, ronks, ranks, face cords, bush cords, piles, truck loads, etc. are not units of measurement of wood as none contain any defined dimensions. As you state, a cord is 128 cubic feet of tightly stacked wood (usually measured as 4'x8'x4'). While some may contend that a "face cord" is defined, it would only be in two dimensions while volume requires a third dimension. I could deliver a load of 4" cookies and call it a "face cord" though it only contains a little over 10.5 cubic feet or 8.25% of a full cord and meet the definition.

Use of any term other than cord as a measure of firewood is simply to obfuscate the actual amount and rip off the consumer.

Thanks for pointing that out, I had just popped over from the Chain Saw Forum and reading about the Freyburg Fair this coming week. I edited my post to eliminate my brain fart. By the way, here is a link to the Woodsmen's Day events.

Woodsmen's Day

Cool - thanks for the link! Yeah, the Fryeburg Fair is a pretty big event and has been for longer than any of us has been alive - but unfortunately I have to work this weekend. :mad2:

Ricks, ronks, ranks, face cords, bush cords, piles, truck loads, etc. are not units of measurement of wood as none contain any defined dimensions. As you state, a cord is 128 cubic feet of tightly stacked wood (usually measured as 4'x8'x4'). While some may contend that a "face cord" is defined, it would only be in two dimensions while volume requires a third dimension. I could deliver a load of 4" cookies and call it a "face cord" though it only contains a little over 10.5 cubic feet or 8.25% of a full cord and meet the definition.

Use of any term other than cord as a measure of firewood is simply to obfuscate the actual amount and rip off the consumer.

You go girl. Give 'em hell. :bang:

Origins of the "cord" are varied. One older def is a stack of 4' logs, piled, that measure 4'x4'x8'. Common use for pulp wood. At the mills here pulp is by weight anyhow. You harvest, then have it trucked green; the mills want the wood contents wet.
The 128 cu ft measure is another variable, whether tightly stacked or not, and sometimes loose, sometimes thrown.
The only agreed measure is the overall 4x4x8. We've done this to death.

So G.S. let them rant with their local defs. Have a brew or good single malt on me. It's all meaningless when they don't come down for breakfast.:biggrin:

$225 a cord @ 24" and 30" lengths (only two customers, lol!). Usually sell 2 and a half cord per year. Pocket money!

Less cutting, little more work on the splitting though.

I sell by the full cord... Cause I'm anal about things... $150.00 per... Delivery ranges from $10 - $40 depending on location... I know a few honest fellows selling by the rick... Not trying to cheat anyone, as a matter of fact, they'll cut you a pile 4' high and 8' long to any length you want up to 20"... In that instance, the $50 they charge is actually not enough in my opinion... The rick is all they know... Right wrong, or indifferent... I can't tell you how many folks call me wanting to know how much I'd charge for a rick... I then have to set about explaining to them what an actual "cord" is, and how the term "rick" fits into the picture... Guess what??? About 3 out of 10 give a crap...

I do not sell wood and will continue to refer to my stacks as cords. They are really only face cord stacks but I like to call them cords. Man I love it when someone mentions face cord. Really gets the post count up. We all know when someone is paying around $50-100 for a cord it is a face cord and when it's $200-300 it a full cord. By the way where are you in Canada?

Most wood here is sold by the face cord. Unlike some of the pros here though when someone is selling a face cord they say what the length is so I don't see what the problem is. It's still the buyers decision to take the wood or not so if they take it and get ripped off then oh well. Really doesn't matter what the price or size is as long both sides make the deal I'm thinking it doesn't matter to anyone else. I plan on selling by the trailer load, I have a 5x8 trailer and a 6x10 trailer. It will be so many dollars for the load, I don't care how much is on the trailer or on the pile later when they stack it. See it, like it, pay for it, get it, done deal. They don't like it then don't take it.

Most wood here is sold by the face cord. Unlike some of the pros here though when someone is selling a face cord they say what the length is so I don't see what the problem is. It's still the buyers decision to take the wood or not so if they take it and get ripped off then oh well. Really doesn't matter what the price or size is as long both sides make the deal I'm thinking it doesn't matter to anyone else. I plan on selling by the trailer load, I have a 5x8 trailer and a 6x10 trailer. It will be so many dollars for the load, I don't care how much is on the trailer or on the pile later when they stack it. See it, like it, pay for it, get it, done deal. They don't like it then don't take it.

So? how much you gonna charge for the trailer? And since I can't see it... How much is on it???
:amazed:

One cord of red oak has the heating equivalent of 108 US gallons (90 imperial gallons; 409 litres) of fuel oil. The price for a cord of mixed hard wood in 2010 ranged from $50 in parts of Tennessee, $60 in parts of Michigan, $80 in Kentucky, $200 in the US Pacific Northwest and Atlantic Northeast to $400 on the East Coast. [7] A face cord of fire wood cut to 16", split, delivered and stacked cost $100-125 in Chicago.

The cord is a unit of measure of dry volume used in Canada and the United States to measure firewood and pulpwood. A cord is the amount of wood that, when "ranked and well stowed" (arranged so pieces are aligned, parallel, touching and compact), occupies a volume of 128 cubic feet (3.62 m3).[1] This corresponds to a well stacked woodpile 4 feet (122 cm) wide, 4 feet (122 cm) high, and 8 feet (244 cm) long; or any other arrangement of linear measurements that yields the same volume.
The name cord probably comes from the use of a cord or string to measure it.[2]

Just in case anyone was unable to just google it here it is hope this answers all the questions that you might have. Oh and by the way I sell a "CORD" (128cf) for 135 plus sales tax

Where are you seeing bush cord in that link? I see acceptable methods being cubic feet, standard cord or loose thrown cord. Nothing at all about a bush cord.

Damn, with all these different firewood measurements. Even on a site devoted to wood and wood products we can't all agree that a cord is 128 cubic feet??? :bang: A guy could get driven to drink with all the the bush, face, half face, rick, bushel or whatever the hell else is sold in your area!

A cord is 128 cu.ft. a rick should be 42.66 cu.ft. or 1/3 of a cord.I stack and sell my wood in ricks and price them in ricks.($60) or cords ($150) Discount for volume.My ricks are 18" x4'x8' actually a little more than 1/3 of a cord because I like to give people their moneys worth and I like return customers.People around here know what a rick is and what a cord is.I could say $60 for 1/3 of a cord but it's just easier to say a rick.

Hedgerow, little too far to deliver so no sale. I only plan on delivering within 15 miles and the trailer will be sitting on my laneway, no advertising so only sales will be to people driving past. Like I said I don't care how much is on the trailer, I'll put a price on it and they can take it or leave it.

Hedgerow, little too far to deliver so no sale. I only plan on delivering within 15 miles and the trailer will be sitting on my laneway, no advertising so only sales will be to people driving past. Like I said I don't care how much is on the trailer, I'll put a price on it and they can take it or leave it.

Crap... I was hopping you could just tow it down here to southern MO and just leave the trailer under it... :D

Latest posts

Back