How much do you charge for a cord of wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also sell buy the basket. I always end up with chunks of odd sizes but it's great wood. I scored some baskets ...
Where can I get some of those baskets ? I am splitting 40,000 pounds of live oak. A lot of it shatters in the splitter because of all the twisted grain and knots and it is coming out in chunks and short pieces. It is Excellent wood, very high BTU, but it doesn't stack well. Your baskets would be Excellent for it.

Because of coastal erosion, hurricanes, man made canals, and other sources of salt water intrusion we have lost thousands of acres of mature live oak down here. Commercial splitters don't like to fool with it because it is so difficult to split, but it is a ready source of high BTU wood for me. I need me some of those Baskets!

Well I read the whole thread. It's so amusing to see how many people get their panties in a wad over the different terms used. If you and the customer are both happy, or you're using a term that is generally accepted in your region, who cares? I'd guess that as with most things, the ones doing the most complaining do the least work.

Where can I get some of those baskets ? I am splitting 40,000 pounds of live oak. A lot of it shatters in the splitter because of all the twisted grain and knots and it is coming out in chunks and short pieces. It is Excellent wood, very high BTU, but it doesn't stack well. Your baskets would be Excellent for it.

Because of coastal erosion, hurricanes, man made canals, and other sources of salt water intrusion we have lost thousands of acres of mature live oak down here. Commercial splitters don't like to fool with it because it is so difficult to split, but it is a ready source of high BTU wood for me. I need me some of those Baskets!

I won't even let live oak on my property. I love the trees and the wood, Just hate splitting it. It does make about the best firewood there is, and many in the hill country use it for smoking. ( I grill with it) It's probably one of the highest BTU oaks out there, but you are correct, the grain is weaved together and doesn't split very well. If it wasn't so hard to split it would be my choice of oak for the fireplace.
I sent you a PM on the baskets.

Well I read the whole thread. It's so amusing to see how many people get their panties in a wad over the different terms used. If you and the customer are both happy, or you're using a term that is generally accepted in your region, who cares? I'd guess that as with most things, the ones doing the most complaining do the least work.

I see your new to the site, so first off, welcome.
Like most other forums, we have our fare share of grimmer/spelling police, along with the "know it all's" It's best to just ignore them. If you feed a troll they just keep coming back for more.
I won't name, names but you'll soon learn who they are.
Enjoy the site!

NormP, congratulations on reading the whole thread. You are the winner of a cord of wood but you have to answer a Skill Testing question 1st. The question is : What size of vehicle will you need to haul your cord of wood home?
A- 2500 GMC truck with 6.5' box.
B- S15 GMC with long box.
C- 1 ton dual rear wheel truck.

NormP, congratulations on reading the whole thread. You are the winner of a cord of wood but you have to answer a Skill Testing question 1st. The question is : What size of vehicle will you need to haul your cord of wood home?
A- 2500 GMC truck with 6.5' box.
B- S15 GMC with long box.
C- 1 ton dual rear wheel truck.

That depends on how many trips you will need to make.

Correct. It takes me only two trips to haul a full cord of firewood in my Ford Ranger. I get 21 mpg. Most 1-ton pickups that might be able to haul a full cord get about 11 mpg or less.

It wouldn't pay well hauling wood like that. I haul 2 cords in my small truck., 5.5 in my big truck. Soon will have 2 more small trucks setup.
Some deliveries are 150+ miles.

~2500lbs on a Ranger is nuts. I hauled a 700lb 4 wheeler in one once, it was on the bumpstops.

This was tonight's smart move. Buddy from work has Friday off and wanted a load of wood so I decided that I could get it done. Yeah well that isn't happening now. Did alright until I hit the path I've been using all winter to go back and forth, looks like the frost was pretty deep and all came out today. It's my wife's truck so I told her she needs to get it out. That also isn't happening. 30 ash logs 13'4" long, smallest is 8" and largest is maybe 15", anybody care to guess the weight?
IMG_20170222_175903.jpg IMG_20170222_180329.jpg

10 cords? Darn I'm selling wood to you. Oh wait, face cords?
I guesstimated 2 3/4 full cords so using your weight about 11,000 lbs on truck and trailer. Well that explains the sinking to the axle issue. I figure my tractor weighs around 7,000 lbs so that isn't going to get it pulled out either. I guess I could have the neighbour plant wheat around it. I guess I'm going truck shopping this weekend.

10 cords? Darn I'm selling wood to you. Oh wait, face cords?
I guesstimated 2 3/4 full cords so using your weight about 11,000 lbs on truck and trailer. Well that explains the sinking to the axle issue. I figure my tractor weighs around 7,000 lbs so that isn't going to get it pulled out either. I guess I could have the neighbour plant wheat around it. I guess I'm going truck shopping this weekend.
So you say that is less than 3 full cords of wood? Seems bigger to me. I guess I overestimated the log lengths. They look like 16 footers on the trailer and 9 footers on the truck bed. You needed a flat bed bunk trailer for that load.

Unloaded about half of the logs and was able to back out and drive across a different spot and then reloaded the logs. I also left 4 logs off the load, it was really really heavy. My buddy is happy, now he has some work to do tomorrow. Drove past 2 cruisers on the way there too.
View attachment 560150

That's a good load for sure. I'm all about getting there safely and without issues. No one like blowing tires, or breaking springs,axles. DOT fines can get pricey too. It's better to make two trips safely then one risky one.

I just bought a used Chevy pickup. Can I still post on ArboristSite?
Edit: I didn't really plan to, it just kind of happened...
I can buy a '94 Chevy today for $500 that runs. Has a new tranny and a big 8' box. Springs and shocks look good. "Only" 180,ooo miles on it and I have a place to park it next to where all my firewood is. Tires are in good shape. I could use it for delivery and buy myself something newer to get to it. Decisions, decisions...

Back