How much do your saws mean to you??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitch95100

Saw Nut
Reaction score
I was thinking about all these threads on here that mention selling certain chainsaws twords a new one, and i was wondering How much do some of your saws mean to you? I know in my instance the 044, the 660, and the dolly 510 mean ALOT to me beacouse i have memories on how i got them and what they have went through with me.
For example- My stihl 044 is my favorite out of the bunch not only of the power and features it has but becouse it is the FIRST saw i bought by myself from a member on here. It has been through thick and thin and never left me stranded. The MS-660 in my sig is special to me becouse it is the first saw i totally rebuilt from the ground up, it was my first project and turned out really well. The Dolmar 510 is special to me beacouse it was the first thing i drove to pickup when i got my liscense and my old mans favorite. The memories it reminds me of the times we cut together. When ever it crosses my mind to sell one it only takes one memorie to talk me out of it.
So im wondering what saws mean alot to you? Mabey some pics of the kids-
660 before- View attachment 278656
660 After- View attachment 278657
Ill get a few more in a bit

My personal rule is don't get attached to anything, except family. I own my saws because 1. they didn't cost much (most were freebies), and 2. They are tools that I use. I appreciate good tools, and the ones I fix up and keep, I will keep to use, the rest, I will sell. That is why I sold the 044 I got for free. Didn't want to keep it, already had a couple better saws (PM700 and 372XPW). I keep the 075, because I need a saw in the 100+ category, and if I come across one better, (big Mac), I will sell the 075. I have more than one of the mid size class saws, as I do a fair amount of milling, and I can set up one saw to do one job, and another for a different job, for example, one of my 10-10's I use to edge with my home made mini-mill attachment, and the another one is used to trim, or limb or what ever, then the 372 has the mill on it, and the PM700 is free to fell and buck with, the 075 for big wood, and ripping big logs down to sizes to mill. Different tools for different jobs, saves me a bunch of time, rather than having one or 2 saws, and needing to constantly change the attachments and B/C configuration. The way I have it now, I can be really productive producing lumber. I will never pass up a good deal on a saw, though, even if I don't need it, if the deal is good (free, or almost free), fix it then decide if I need it or can pass the saw on to another who has a need for it, plus I am doing my part to keep the old iron going!

The money they make for me through the work they do, determines how much they mean to me. I'm not particularly sentimental about anything besides people (family & friends). They are tools and as such I maintain & care for them because I need them & depend on them. Like dogs & cats, they will die & I'll replace them as necessary. That said, there's something to be said for continuity. Once I get a feel for a saw, where it's comfortable & I know it's tics, strengths, weaknesses, etc., then I'd prefer to keep it as long as possible. It's nice knowing my limitations before I begin a task. I guess they call it, 'familiarity'. Otherwise, as long as I don't lose money on a saw or have to constantly fix it, then i'm happy.

the only 2 i am really close to is the 372 and 346 since my wife seen me drooling over them and TOLD me to get them,,, plus they are masterminded,,, the other ones are just tools that help to keep us warm in the winter,, but on the other hand they are all tools and i love running them,,

Well ya im not worshiping them or anything but just wondering Who liked them beacouse they ment something to you for work, memories, a HAD TO HAVE, ect:) Like for example your dads ol Homelite, It means something to you beacouse it was his and you spent time with him cutting every burning seson hearing that thing wail away in the woods.

Glad that your saws have given you good memories, with more to come...

My Stihl MS260 Pro is my favorite tool, both for how well it performs and how much useful work I've been able to do with it. I get compliments all the time about how our land looks from neighbors, and my wife is thrilled by the open views, trails through the woods, and the substantial piles of firewood that we now have to keep warm for the next 3-4 years. As long as this saw keeps working well, it's not going anywhere.

There's a sense of independence and accomplishment that comes from providing for heating needs and managing one's own land.

When the saws come out, though, it's all business; I have too much respect for bad things that can happen when one's attention wavers from safety.

Last edited:
Glad that your saws have given you good memories, with more to come...

My Stihl MS260 Pro is my favorite tool, both for how well it performs and how much useful work I've been able to do with it. I get compliments all the time about how our land looks from neighbors, and my wife is thrilled by the open views, trails through the woods, and the substantial piles of firewood that we now have to keep warm for the next 3-4 years. As long as this saw keeps working well, it's not going anywhere.

There's a sense of independence and accomplishment that comes from providing for heating needs and managing one's own land.

When the saws come out, though, it's all business; I have too much respect for bad things that can happen when one's attention wavers from safety.

Yes i agree there just like guns.

They are just a tool, I take care of them well so they will work well. I like them well enough but could live without them. Dad's Pro Mac 55 would be hard to part with but that has more to do with him than the actual saw.

I have a Pioneer 650 that belonged to my late Grandpa on my Mom's side, running it reminds me of him. My Grandpa on my Dad's side, who was more like a father to me gave me his SXL and XL years ago. Those saws mean a great deal to me. The rest of my saws are either toys or tools.

means a lot because i heat with wood because im certainly not going out with a hand saw and cutting wood.

i got most of my stuff from my grandad. but everything got so old and warn out. i hhad to get new stuff. i got rid of most of them just became not reliable for me and quit working like they should. i got memories and pics of most everything. sometimes you just got to let go of stuff. in my opinion.

2012-01-08_16-59-24_843_zps39393292.jpg

:msp_wink:

The only saw I will have any attachment to will be the poulan 3300 my dad hands down to me some day that he bought new. Otherwise saws are tools to me and I have no attachment to them. :msp_biggrin:

I just like finding the ones guys are looking for and getting them into the right hands. :msp_wink:

I have a bit of attachment to my 262 as it is one of only two saws left from when my dad logged for a living. He kept an 034 and still uses it to cut firewood. I form a bond with tools that hold memories or at one point or another made me proud to own them and that 262 has done that many times.

The only saw I will have any attachment to will be the poulan 3300 my dad hands down to me some day that he bought new. Otherwise saws are tools to me and I have no attachment to them. :msp_biggrin:

I just like finding the ones guys are looking for and getting them into the right hands. :msp_wink:

The only ones I'm sentimental about are the ones that belonged to my dad and grandpa. Both were hard-headed timber falling contractors for years. They fell some of the biggest trees in the coastal hills here. Of course, I have an 046 that Randy worked on the jug for me- I'll be keeping that one forever. It's a hell of a runner.

Back