How much have you burned this season??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just two cords so far October was wet and cold, November was warm and dry,Dec has been Brutal but was away on Holiday's and I have not been in the shop much, that's a wood hog.

About a Cord of wood so far this year, although it has been a milder winter up until the last few weeks. I'm burning primarily Red Fir with a small amount of Lodgepole mixed in here and there.

It's hard to tell how much wood we burned so far. If I had to guess somewhere around 5 cord. We have been burning about 50/50 hardwood softwood. My uncle on the other had has burned at least 12 cord of all hardwood. We are heating about the same space.I have a hawken owb and he has a central owb.

We started burning around the middle of November here in Northeast Ohio. Once the stove was finally in, there has been a fire in her round the clock. I think we just started into our second cord. The furnace has kicked on twice for about five minutes over the last month. Can't wait to see this next gas bill!!

How many square feet you guys heating??
:)
1,800 sq feet downstairs. The gas furnace handles the other 1,900 sq feet.

I read somewhere that if you take the area that you are heating in square feet and divide it by 300, that will be about how many cords of dry wood that you need to heat a house during a typical midwestern winter.

Just under a cord so far this year. I heat a 3000 Sq ft home built in 92 with little to no draft and dhw. The big thing is we have a boatload of windows on the southern side of the house. If it is sunny at all the house stays at like 74 degrees without calling for heat the entire day.
This is the first year with the CB OWB. We used to use two woodstoves a woodstock soapstone and an old stove that I cannot reacall the manufacturer. We go through about the same amount of wood without the hassle of wood and smoke in the house.

3/4 of a chord. Started burning in middle of October. Burn about 12 hours on weekdays and round the clock on weekends. We are on our 2nd burn ban this month and I cringe every time the electric heat kicks on.

jaroh--- What is a burn ban? It doesn't sound good! :confused:

We heat 2,000 square feet up & 2,000 down and have used about 1 cord so far. Our Napoleon 1900 was well worth the purchase price. I'm hoping to get by with 3 cords or less this heating season! :clap:

The question is simple enough! :)

Ive gone through about 4.5 face cords so far. Burning started early this year in Upstate NY - I recall having the stove on a light simmer as early as the end of September, even during the day.

It's been a cold season thus far. At this rate I'm gonna burn well over 10. I'll probably be in the 12 - 13 range.

:greenchainsaw:

Up here on the St. Lawrence, it has been fairly mild this year. Rained all day yesterday and is in the mid-thirties right now. I have burned right around 3 face cord so far. Normally I have burned five or six by this time.

jaroh--- What is a burn ban? It doesn't sound good! :confused:

"The Puget Sound Clean Air Agency issues temporary bans on indoor and outdoor burning when the weather trends toward stagnant conditions, such as air inversions, which trap fine particle pollution emitted from our chimneys, cars, trucks, and other activities. Our air quality can deteriorate quickly when the weather doesn't give us the breeze we need to clean away our daily air pollution, which is why taking action to curb burning can help keep our air healthy."

www.pscleanair.org/airq/burnban/default.aspx

It really upsets me when I drive down towards Spanaway and I see many houses that do not burn properly. Thick smoke spewing from their green firewood, choked down fireplace/stove.

I am at 6 plus cords so far. It has been extremely cold here. This winter should give me an idea how much the max wood needed will be. It does not get much colder here than it has been.

Up here on the St. Lawrence, it has been fairly mild this year. Rained all day yesterday and is in the mid-thirties right now. I have burned right around 3 face cord so far. Normally I have burned five or six by this time.

I live on the St. Lawrence too and have used about the same amount. I got rid of the white pine I had hanging around 2nd week in December. Glad it's gone and on to the good seasoned hardwood.

About 1.18 cords so far... almost finished up the first row in the woodshed, which is 4.75 cords. Been burning since Dec 1, when it's 40F or cooler outside. It's been pretty mild until we got to December.

Above 40, the wood heat will run you out of the house unless you really choke it down... which I don't care to do.

I've gone through about one and a half cords. Early part of the season didn't require round the clock fires, and it looked like the shed was hardly going down at all. Plus I was mixing in stuff from my chunk boxes, that hold .43 cord. Then when the real cold snap hit in mid December, you could clearly see the rate of usage jump up. Plus the first row in the wood shed was just about all Ash, which isn't all that great for burn times. Now I'm getting into some hard maple and oak which is way better.

And we'll be going through it this week for sure. Tuesday the high is only supposed to hit 17, dropping to 6 Tuesday night.

Back