How much oil or gas did you use

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erik B

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Since I started burning wood many years ago I have gotten by with only using about 25% of the fuel oil I burned before I started burning wood. Winter of 14-15 was typical for western Wisconsin and I used 128 gallons of #2 oil. I know many on here do not get 100% of their heat from wood so I was wondering how much oil or gas did you use this past winter. Cash price for #2 was $2.20/gal.

Put the wood stove in back in '99. Burned about 600 gallons of oil in the 15 years since. We let the furnace run a bit a bit several times a week and of course if we're away for more than about 12 hours. Using 2.5 to 3 cords a year (small house, ~1,200 square foot).

Last year was about 300 gallons of propane.
I supplement the furnace with a wood burner. Stove and water heater are gas.
Before we started burning regularly, we used 600-800 gallons a year, in a 3700 sq ft house.

I burned average of 80 gallons of oil in the house I just moved from. It was 1500' and well insulaated . I'm going to miss feeding the box. We just built our house and installed a heat pump.

Hopefully I will be able to build my shop within a year and it will have a wood fired boiler for heat.

Edit: I averaged 7 cord of hardwood per year.

5 years nothing but wood. $2.20 gal last year? That's where I am this year.

Gas furnace (low-efficiency POS) has been cold-iron since 2005. Use mebbe a couple gallons kero a year in Aladdin lamps for spot-heatng, and 2-3 cords of prime hardwoods per year in the stove. Sell almost as much as I burn- covers beer-money.

Neighbors love it when there's some shagbark, black birch or black cherry cooking in my Morso and there's a southerly wind. So do I, no matter the wind.

Can't tell exactly how much for the simple reason that after I started burning wood in 2008, I used so little oil that I did not bother to monitor it. One thing I do remember is my first full winter in the new house I was getting a $700-800 bill every month from October to April now I think I get two fill ups a year of about $600.

The propane co. Charged me a low usage fee 12 years ago, told them to come get their tank. We heat 100% with wood. Got 3 cords of hedge ready for the coming winter.We have been heating mostly with wood for 35 years.

We filled our lp tank (400 Gallons) over 3 years ago. We are now down to 10% or 50 gallons. Because we've been getting hit with non usage fees, we decided this year to purchase a tank. Our fill price was .99 a gallon just now. We have a LP furnace, stove and dryer. We burn between 5 to 6 cord a year.

i burned around 6 gallons this past winter only because it was very soupy and muddy to get to the wood pile.
though i did burn close to 26 ricks of wood. this past winter was awful and my smoke dragon stove likes the wood.

My Dad asked the same question of me last time they visited, so I'll give the same answer here I gave him - but a little background first: been in this house 15 years (2000 sq. ft., hydronic heat main floor with in-floor in the basement), no natural gas out here so first four years it was 100% propane (have a 500 gal. tank), then in the fall of 2004 I put in an OWB to heat the house and shop and hot water; after the first season with the OWB I shut it down in the spring and let the propane heat our water but after a month of not having the smoke aroma when stepping outside to go to work and not seeing a wisp of smoke from the stack, I guess I was going through withdrawals so I lit the girl up again and it hasn't shut off since the summer of '05, except for the annual top to bottom cleaning and maintenance. With five in the house (two teens and one to be shortly) we go through a ton of hot water so we burn year round. The propane boiler serves as backup and I run it every few months just to ensure it's operational. So far so good.

So, when my Dad was last here and pointed at the OWB and asked how much propane I go through now that we've been using the OWB, I said: "each year I burn more propane in our outdoor grill than I do to heat the house".

At one time we heated the old farm house, the hot water and cooked with LP. We filled the LP tank and a pre-buy a few years ago and installed the OWB around the same time. We still cook with LP gas but the stove is connected to a 40/50 lb tank and the big tank was turned off and never used again. I ran a by-pass on the furnace so we could still heat the water. Because of all the canning we do, we might use a 40 lb pig of LP each year. We heat our house, a 2 car garage and a 20x24 craft room attached to the garage. Our LP supplier charges us $15.00 per year for rent on the tank.

Back