How much per hour would you charge to split wood??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Using my own equipment-$40 per hour.
Using the customers equipment-$25 per hour.

I have never done it nor have I hired anyone to split my wood. But those would probably be my rates.

i hand split once for a guy in the summer.

did it for $20/hr. course, he was a banker...

I need to show this thread to my buddy who I was helping split yesterday.:clap:

If you brought your own splitter, I would say that $50 an hour for man and machine is what you need to get. I hand split some of my own wood, but I wouldn't do it that way for anyone else.

Like a lot of seemingly simple questions, this is one that gets less simple the more you think about it. How much wood is there to split? How big are the blocks? What kind of wood is it? Straight grained or lots of knots? How small do they want it?

The customer will look at it a little different. Not so much how many hours as much as what will it cost them to get the whole pile split up. If they already have some cost in the wood, that will be factored in.

Sometimes, "by the hour" makes things too complicated with too many "what if's?". Often it's better for both parties to agree on a price for the job itself. You know what you're getting and they know what they are paying.

I've been seeing ads on Craigslist around here for people traveling to your wood with their equipment, and cutting and splitting for $25 / HR. Seems cheap with equipment involved, but there are an awful lot of unemployed folks around these days.

50.00 per cord (4x4x8) or equal pile of lose blocks,chucks what have you.split not stacked!! thats extra or 35.00 per...... time is of no issue easier on the back as well as the machine not to have to be in a hurry!! last job was 51/2 cords of oak and maple for 7.5 hrs and 375.00 trading stamps.........:givebeer::cheers:

Three folks I see advertising on the Craigslists that I usually peruse.

Two are $35/hour machine+operator, 2-1/2 hour minimum. One of them has a Timberwolf and requires one and strongly suggests you have two good, healthy strongbacks to bring and take away wood to maximize his productivity.

Third guy is like $20/hour, but he'll do all the wood handling from the pile to stacking.

I think by the hour is the only fair way to do it. That eliminates the variables of block size, desired split size, knots, etc.

I have not done this, but I'd probably fire up the tractor and splitter for about $40/hr, plus mileage. Mileage charges would be exorbinant after about 5 miles, though as it's either take a scenic tour on the tractor, or find someone to haul it. Helper required to be provided on all blocks over 20", or I will bring one for $15/hr.

Free for one of my neighbors (best in the world)
$65/hr for me to run any of my gas powered equipment. Clock starts when I leave my shop.

Needless to say; not many calls...breaks my heart.

i did it once charged 1/2 load for a load they where happy with 3 loads and i got 2 loads they hald all i did was run the lever worked out good for both of us

i am very surprised with the numbers i see....

yes i do agree that a 100$ / hour is acceptable looking at labour and investment write-off but...

What are you guys paying for your wood?? or what volume are you processing in an hour?

Splitting only i am at 2.5m3 per hour, but those are 1 meter pieces, so you have to count the cutting hours which gave us 1.25 m3 cut and split per hour

Non split wood costs 30 euro/m3
Split wood costs 45 euro/m3

At a rate of 100$ per hour the split wood would cost the owner 30 + 80 (splitting/cutting) = 110 euro/m3

Opposite i would have to process (100/ (45-30))= 6.7 m3 per hour to be at the same price as the stacked on pallets, no dirt own time or stacking necessary ready delivered wood.

If i look at this it seems clear to me why a wood processor is the only commercial way to make sense (in competing the home and side-job offers)

:monkey:

Back