How much per hour would you charge to split wood??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The amount I charged would be dependent upon the costs associated with the project (gas, food, etc.), the local supply of labor (competition) and my demand for money. I don't prescribe to notion of rigid wages, they should rise and fall according to supply/demand just like prices.

Given MI current unemployment rate, it would probably be between $8.00-$15.00 + expenses if I had time to do it. Since I don't, $100 hr, that way if someone does want to hire me, I won't suffer from opportunity cost. :)

$30 a face, myself and another can do three face an hour on average. The faster we work, the more we make, if we want to move slow that day we don't rip anybody off.

Bucks

It is just work. I would do it for the "going rate" with my current operation I figure that if I am moving wood, then I should be making $12 an hour.
Then I might figure the splitter in for a few bucks...

Make it $20 an hour, and I might even buy the gas... :hmm3grin2orange:

man a bunch of guys work for nothing the spanish here get more then you like i posted before $100.00 pr hrs tom trees:cheers:

I dont charge by the hour, rather by the rick.I split and stack wood for folks for 30 bucks a rick and do pretty good at this rate.

Since firewood goes for 55 a rick around here stacked they save a few bucks having me split their own wood, and I average two ricks split and stacked an hour.Pretty good pay as far as I am concerned.If the wood is straight grain, like red oak or something, then I do real well.Last winter I had a job for an elderly guy that went berserk when he realized that I was making almost 90 bucks an hour, the wood was nice 20 inch red oak and the 4 way head was really cranking out the firewood.:clap:

man a bunch of guys work for nothing the spanish here get more then you like i posted before $100.00 pr hrs

Also have to figure the difference between under-the-table and running a business.

If you take the $35/hour I see folks advertising on Craigslist around here, if you had to add in 40% to cover payroll/self-employment taxes, plus worker's comp in case you hurt yourself, plus liability in case you cut off the homeowner's hand, wouldn't be surprised if it's a taxable service in Connecticut so that's another 6%, etc, etc I wouldn't blink at it running $70-75.

Maybe I was too young, but I don't remember in the 90s thinking very often, "Gee, that's what it paid in the 80s..." I see a lot of jobs posted today that I shake my head at because they're trying to pay what would've been a fair wage in '97. That's not just this recession talking, it's something long term causing us to undervalue ourselves.

I have noticed a few people around here renting there gas powered hyd. splitter for $100 per day. I guess if you you rent it about 12-14 times you have a free splitter.

yes workers comp is $85 on a hundred pay role thats just that

Yeeeoouch! I knew it was high for the industry, I didn't realize it got to those levels.

When are the premiums paid? Do you have to pre-pay a month or a quarter?

I charge $85.00 per hour for on site wood splitting. 1 hour minimum. Includes Splitter, saw, and 2 men. Pete

without busting your gears, 2 guys can split 1 cord per hour if not to far from the splitter....... thats with a duerr 20 toner and 27" max length easy work and no sweat just long hours hey !! lol

Last edited:
Back