How much play should there be on cutter wheel bearing? only 40 hrs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaystihl

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys im trying to change out the cutter wheel on my carlton 5014. i got the wheel dropped with bearings on the shaft and noticed that there is a signifigant amount of play between inner and outer race of the bearing. I am trying to save the bearings since they only have 40 hours on them, but don't want to waste time trying to press them off the shaft( major pita!) if for some reason they are no good. I have no idea why these would be bad, they are almost brand new, just seems like an awful lot of play. i have been trying to press them off with a makeshift press and 20 ton hydro jack, but there was play in the bearings as soon as i dropped the wheel. Stumped!

Was there play in the wheel when everything was socked down?

Is the play in the bearing it self, or the pillow blocks? If they are the pillow blocks, there will be play to account for the jack shaft being slightly off.

Please anyone correct me if I am wrong. That is my understanding and not concrete fact.

No way the bearings are shot. Put it all back together, grease regularly and run the crap out of it. When the bearings are shot they will start heating up and smoking and you will notice a distinct smell like rear end dope. Get you a laser temp gauge at harbor freight and you can monitor heat. Should be running around 125 degrees. When there shot the temp will exceed 200 degrees.

thanks guys, i checked jackshaft bearings as well, and they have about the same amount of play. just seemed like a lot, didn't remember the bearings on my other grinder having that much play

Latest posts

Back