How much should my 372xp oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutch cut

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been fixing up a 372xp and it is nearly finished except for a few upgrades like new dogs and AV mounts. I have i fitted with a 24" bar and it does not seem to oil as much as I would expect. I am used to a chain throwing a fair amount of oil off the tip easily visible. This saw barely sprays a super fine mist that takes a while to notice on a dry test log. Is this normal? The bar is an Oregon powermatch and a Stihl chain.

Thanks

That is about normal for a 372 on high, when running one of Oregons Hippie approved and Greenpeace certified bars.

Take a dremel or drill bit, and open up the oil passages about 30% and it will slobber like it should.

If you have a GB or other brand bar, check and see how it oils. Dadgum Oregon has lost thier friggin minds lately, and is not indicative of your saws oiler working properly.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

If you run the saw without a bar, the oiler output should gush plenty of oil, say a tablespoon of oil in 10 seconds or so... if it doesn't then the oiler has a problem.
Have you pulled the clutch drum and clutch to see the oiler drive, and the oiler's brass tube condition? Sometimes the tips (or tip depending on the age of your saw) of the driver wear off and/or the brass tube for the output can leak due to the brake band wearing through it. I usually bend the tube so it has more clearance from the brake band and solder the leak in the tube -being careful not to seal the whole tube off with solder. Usually the 372's oiler pumps out more oil than a ms460 would even with the Oregon's tiny bar oiler hole.

Just to cover the obvious, the oiler is adjustable, what is it set to? Make sure its turned all the way counter clockwise for max oil flow.

I run a Stihl 84 driver bar on my 372 and it oils fine. I did, like Dingeryote mentioned, open up the hole in the bar some. If it is using about a tank of oil per tank of fuel you are probably good to go regardless. This depends on the type of wood you often cut however.

Thanks for the replies, my oiler was all the way up and I have dad the oiler apart and everything looks fine. I will try reaming out the oiler hole on the bar as it does seem like enough oil comes out of the oiler with the bar off, maybe try another bar first to make sure thats the problem.

Thanks again

Case Closed. It was the small oil way on my Oregon bar that was the issue; I opened it up and it flows much better.

Latest posts

Back