How much to pay for a used woodsplitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEA

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a used gas-powered hydraulic woodsplitter and would like to know what amount I should expect to spend? Last weekend I was at an auction that had a used 20 ton H/V Brave with 5 hp Briggs engine. It was in "fair" condition and sold for $750. It started well and could split a 6" piece of elm with 3 knots in it that I had brought along as a test. It appeared that it hadn't been used for several years as it was slowly sinking into the dirt floor of the shed where it sat. Both tires were dry rotted, the hydraulic lines were cracked, and the hydraulic oil and filter needed to be replaced along with the engine oil. So, if one adds up all these additional costs to get it into proper working order, I estimated that the true cost would be around $900. If one looks at the Brave website, a new 22 ton unit with a 5.5 hp Briggs motor costs $1295. So, the used splitter sold for about 69% of the price of a new one and didn't come with any type of warrantly. Plus the time to fix up the used one isn't in the calculations either. Before going to the auction, my expectation was that I should be able to purchase a used splitter in good working order for about 1/2 the price of a new one. Is this expectation realistic or not?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Cost of a unit is going to depend a great deal on a lot of variable.Local demand,brand of unit, condition, etc.But in my experience, most good woodsplitters hold their value fairly well if they are taken care of.Nothing unusual to see a $1500 splitter going for a $1000 used.
But as you noted, you can find a number of units around that need some work, the trick is to find one that can take a little massaging to get into working order without having to sink a ton into parts.Hydralic lines are spendy,doesnt take long to rack up 300 bucks in Hydro lines.

Keep an eye on Craigslist, you will find them from time to time, but be prepared to move fast,especially in the fall and winter months.They go quick.
Be a little wary on Craiglist, splitters are often stolen and sold on Craiglist, a quick call to the local sheriffs office with a serial number and description might save you a lot of grief.

by all means not a representative sample but....

I'm giving my cutting bud a new Oregon 511AX grinder for his homebrew splitter, has 25 ton cylinder, 5 hp Briggs Industial engine...the thang works like a champ, used it the last 2 years..and of course, I can use the grinder anytime I want...

splitter around here are hard to come by its better to buy new.For a good used one will be 750-1100 bucks more than 5 years old

Not much of an answer

First question, do you want a fixed or moving wedge, or do you care?

A lot of the price will depend upon the brand and condition of the machine. Good used American and Timberwolf splitters bring a premium. Don't be shocked if you see one of these used with a higher price tag than a brand new lesser unit.

Used Tractor Supply, (Speeco) seem to be more prevalent at a lower cost.

There are usually a lot of Home Depot, Lowes, Craftsman specials available. If these will meet your requirements they can be bought cheap used and pretty reasonable brand new when coupon or special pricing is available.

Best advice I can give is be patient. Craigslist and Backpage are obvious places to look. If you have a good relationship with any OPE dealers ask them to keep their eye out for something used that may be offered as trade bait.

One last thing, be sure the engine and hydraulics are standard stuff that you can get replacement parts for. A $400 splitter made by a company that's out of business, with a bad cylinder with oddball mounting system is no bargain.

Take Care

by all means not a representative sample but....

I'm giving my cutting bud a new Oregon 511AX grinder for his homebrew splitter, has 25 ton cylinder, 5 hp Briggs Industial engine...the thang works like a champ, used it the last 2 years..and of course, I can use the grinder anytime I want...

Wow you're making out like a bandit! That's an exceptional deal and not the norm since the grinder's worth $300 max. I would say that a good running unit should sell for more than 50% to 60% of what it retailed for new.

This looks decent, I have the same splitter. this is my fourth season with it without any problems yet.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/grd/1159762099.html

20 ton wood splitter - $550 (Wahadams 48049)
Date: 2009-05-07, 6:42PM EDT

I am selling my 20 ton wood splitter. I paid $1100.00 + tax from tractor supply a few years ago. Everything works like new, with no issues.

[email protected]
248-361-3679

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Wow you're making out like a bandit! That's an exceptional deal and not the norm since the grinder's worth $300 max. I would say that a good running unit should sell for more than 50% to 60% of what it retailed for new.

Well Zo, we both are....he also sucked in a nice 20 ton cap. splitter (don't remember the mfr.) with a Wisconsin engine for free, so he has no use for this one...been helping him also since he split up with his wife last year..that's what having good friends and neighbors is all about...

$550 for a speeco or other reliable splitter in good condition is a steal!
speeco are the best of low end splitters. factory will still support you on parts and tech.

I predict splitter below will not last more than few more days at $550.

different regions may have different prices... but what I've been seeing locally is splitters that sell for say $1000 on sale ($1200 retail), will sell quickly on CL for $900 range.

besides watching CL... one needs to be watching sales on TSC or what ever local farm supply. it makes zero sense to buy used for $900, when one can buy new for $100 more.

3na3p43l9ZZZZZZZZZ957d16e586a530d1445.jpg

This looks decent, I have the same splitter. this is my fourth season with it without any problems yet.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/grd/1159762099.html

20 ton wood splitter - $550 (Wahadams 48049)
Date: 2009-05-07, 6:42PM EDT

I am selling my 20 ton wood splitter. I paid $1100.00 + tax from tractor supply a few years ago. Everything works like new, with no issues.

[email protected]
248-361-3679

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Last edited:
What I've seen at farm/estate auctions, is that if three or four guys are bidding on it prices can get out of hand in a hurry. You just have to put your maximum price on it before the bidding starts and be disciplined enough not to exceed it. if nobody else there was bidding on that splitter you probably would have got it for way less that $500. Now getting $750 for that splitter as you described it means the auctioneer was doing his job.

Just keep on looking they are out there.

When I was in the market for a splitter, I told everybody I knew. Eventually a guy knew a guy, and he sold me his Northern splitter with a 5hp Tecumseh for $500. This was 2002 and the thing has run great, just need to play with the carb every now and then. Word of mouth works best in my experience.

How much to pay for a used woodsplitter? Bought One!!!

First, I want to thank everyone for their replies to my initial message. I took the advice and kept watching CL and local auction listings for splitters in my area.

Last week I came across an auction listing with a Huskee splitter about 50 miles away so I called the auctioneer and he told me it was a 20 ton with a 5 hp B/S engine. So, I went to the auction this past Saturday not knowing what to expect, but was happily surprised to find that the log splitter was actually a Huskee 28 ton with 8 hp B/S engine. The splitter was in good shape, had the instruction manual with it, started on the second pull, and split a test piece of elm (with 3 knots in it!) with no problem. I had gotten there early so no one else was around to watch my test.

The auction started at 10 am and the splitter came up around noon. Two other people started bidding on it at a "whopping" $100. One dropped out at $350 then I got in and ended up getting the high bid at $600. I spent yesterday cleaning up the splitter in the morning as it was covered with dust/dirt and then rounded up new hydraulic fluid, hydraulic filter, engine oil, spark plug, and air filter at TSC (about $100 total). I had to special order the new air filter, which means I won't be able to do my first splitting until next weekend.

So, I do believe I got a good deal on the splitter as I currently have about $700 invested versus the $1549 price tag of a new one at TSC.

Let the work (i.e. fun) begin...........

good job on determining what to pay...

$600 is high for a splitter at auction, but a deal for TSC 28 ton splitter in good condition.

The auction started at 10 am and the splitter came up around noon. Two other people started bidding on it at a "whopping" $100. One dropped out at $350 then I got in and ended up getting the high bid at $600. I spent yesterday cleaning up the splitter in the morning as it was covered with dust/dirt and then rounded up new hydraulic fluid, hydraulic filter, engine oil, spark plug, and air filter at TSC (about $100 total). I had to special order the new air filter, which means I won't be able to do my first splitting until next weekend.

So, I do believe I got a good deal on the splitter as I currently have about $700 invested versus the $1549 price tag of a new one at TSC.

Let the work (i.e. fun) begin...........

Latest posts

Back