how much will a pickup hold

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another important factor is tires. Pay close attention the maximum load (and correct pressure) on those sidewalls. I always go with "E's". A blowout with a bed full of wood at 55 mph could be ugly!

Agreed... Sometimes we forget about those little details called tires...

How much will a pickup hold?

Enough to cost you a whole pile of money if you fall prey to the "Just One More Piece" disease. I usually cut my firewood on the way home from work and the pickup is already loaded down with saws and tools and spare parts and all the crap I have to carry.

But...it's sure hard to cut up a nice piece of oak and have to leave a few pieces 'til the next day. Just one more piece, and one more, and maybe a couple of little ones and...you guys know the drill. :laugh:

I bet you can fit a cord into a full size bed, stacked in there nicely. Not saying the truck would handle it or that some wouldn't fall out.

How many of You guys sell or measure the wood You cut? A cord of oak wieghs 6300 lbs? I dont belive so on that. We haul 1 1/2 cords of oak on a trailer with car tires and there no way in hell that I'm hauling 9450 lbs of wood and 2000 lbs of trailer. Thats cut, split, stacked, then thrown on the trailer. Wood weght varies on how it split and stacked. The smaller its split the less a cord will wiegh. I dont now where the wieght chart get there info.

I haul 2 ricks in My 1/2 ton ford, Is that 4000 lbs of wood? No way......

The smaller its split the less a cord will wiegh. I dont now where the wieght chart get there info.

I am not sure what you are trying to say. I can see where smaller pieces might mean faster drying times and less weight or that there may be more air gaps in a cord with smaller pieces. However, if all things were equal, if you took 2 similar pieces of wood and split one into smaller pieces and left the other one intact they should have 2 piles that weigh the same.

Next you will have me trying to believe a pound of fat weighs less than a pound of muscle.

I bet you can fit a cord into a full size bed, stacked in there nicely. Not saying the truck would handle it or that some wouldn't fall out.

You can, full cord, dry ash. No sideboards, stacked tight, lost none. Didn't have far to go.:hmm3grin2orange:

woodload1.jpg

I do this all the time... Any guesses as to how much is in there???

attachment.php

I can, because I use one of these... No tweaking, no squatting... Just pure Ford beauty...:hmm3grin2orange:

attachment.php

C'mon Chevy and Dodge boys!!! I just threw out the bait!!! Come get some!!!:msp_wink:

Nice truck! Would you mind posting the specs on that truck? It looks like it has the long box. Specs such as which year model, cab (CC or SC or reg), engine (guessing the 460), rear end gears, and transmission.

Kevin

I fit a full cord neatly stacked (and slightly mounded) in my Silverado 1500 and my cousin's F-150. Both have a 6.5' bed.

Now this I'd like to see a picture of! There is a picture running around on this forum showing my F250 with 10K springs with a full cord on it.

Now this I'd like to see a picture of! There is a picture running around on this forum showing my F250 with 10K springs with a full cord on it.

I'm assuming he meant a full cord between both trucks....I hope so anyway!:eek2:

That said, this is just a touch over a half cord of green oak and yellow birch :)

attachment.php

Your right

that is horse pucky, or you have no idea what a cord is. A cord measures 4ft tall, 4ft wide, and 8ft long.Lets just say you dropped a cord in the bed on its side.It would stick 2 feet out the back, fill the bed from rail to rail, and be 4ft tall.
Some of this figures are to fool the customer. I have put a rank 16 inch deep 4 ft tall and 8 ft long will not fitin a s-10 or a Ranger that is 10 percent moister content It takes a 1 ton with a 8 ft bed. Where I live if the boys in green with the yellow badges it better be what you told you
R customer $2000.00 fine and maybe a little time. So may people are selling S-10 and Ranger P/U as a rankok firewood tossed in. And water running out the. Tail gate suppose to be kiln dry they are not firewood pro they change with the weather. Cut grass then firewood later

How many of You guys sell or measure the wood You cut? A cord of oak wieghs 6300 lbs? I dont belive so on that. We haul 1 1/2 cords of oak on a trailer with car tires and there no way in hell that I'm hauling 9450 lbs of wood and 2000 lbs of trailer. Thats cut, split, stacked, then thrown on the trailer. Wood weght varies on how it split and stacked. The smaller its split the less a cord will wiegh. I dont now where the wieght chart get there info.

I haul 2 ricks in My 1/2 ton ford, Is that 4000 lbs of wood? No way......
a cord of fresh cut oak (I don't care if its "standing dead" either!) weighs 4900 lbs. @ 20% MC after seasoning it'll drop to 3400lbs

and... please tell me you're joking about the smaller splits, less total weight of a cord.

Well check page 4 of this thread and you will find my half ton 8ft box with 2 cords of elm on it.

Nice truck! Would you mind posting the specs on that truck? It looks like it has the long box. Specs such as which year model, cab (CC or SC or reg), engine (guessing the 460), rear end gears, and transmission.

Kevin

It's a SRW F-350... 4 door 4x4.. It's just a 5.8 liter... It's got a second set of overload's... Seems impervious to weight... Has a full size 8' bed... It's a bit garage challenged...

It's a SRW F-350... 4 door 4x4.. It's just a 5.8 liter... It's got a second set of overload's... Seems impervious to weight... Has a full size 8' bed... It's a bit garage challenged...

Thanks. What year model is it? Would you happen to know what gears it has (3.55 or 4.10)?

Kevin

I guess it just depends on how big of a Pu....Wussy you are:jester:

Back