How much wood did everyone go through this WINTER !!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still Burning

1500sqft
Avalon Rainer
4 full cord
Cherry, Ash and Maple

About 1" of new snow here in the valley and more to come.

Millman

still using the stove

I used about 4 cord of hard woods in my harman and it was about 80 inside on an average all winter .1400 sq ft. two floor, stove upstairs. have enough to heat next year plus, all cut and split.

1850's two story, 3000sq/ft

DAka wood furnace

>7cords, figured 5 so there's a 2-4 cord defecit for this fall.:chainsaw:

Heated a 1800 sq ft house built in the 1880's, two story on 3 full cord (still have about 1.5 face left) but it's still snowing here! :censored: . Oh and it's an old woodstove built in 1985.
JC

I think around 15 cord.

I never have it all piled up and I am always adding and taking away.
house just under 5000sqft temp 78 avg
shop is 2340sqft 14' ceiling temp 65
hot water plate and propane backup
built in '05
If it's below zero I can burn a cord a week easy.:chainsaw:

If I had to guess, I'd say in the neighborhood of 10 cords of Pine. Never really measured just cut and split piles as I needed it. Mixed in maybe another cord of hardwood "shorts" from the firewood operation. My central boiler has kept our 3000sf toasty at 72 all winter and heated domestic hot water. Sucks to be the oil guy.

Still burning. When all is said and done I probably went through about 4 cords.

- 1900 square feet
- Enviro-Fire Kodiak Insert
- 4 cords: Maple, Birch, Fir, Alder, Cherry

9 to 10, heating about 2000 square foot house, and 750 square foot workshop, plus domestic hot water. Free heat Machine owb. Burned everything from pine slabs to dry maple and elm. Still heating here. Supposed to snow again tonight.:deadhorse:

I should add that I don't have a backup source of heat for either building. OWB is it. How many of you burning only 4 cords also heat with oil or gas?

We burned about 6 cord in our 1500 sq. ft. 1800's house...... thankfully a mild winter here. Though we are still burning now... i hope we will be able to stop soon. I've used a little over a hundred gallons of heating oil this winter, as the furnace kicks on at night.... or mid day when the fire dies down.

owb here

Wood Master 4400 . Being conservative I would say 6 to 7 chord of 70 percent hard wood (including much birch) and 30 percent pine and hemlock. I heat 1400 square feet of living space and a 2 car garage. I also get my domestic hot water for 4 people. All in all it beats the heck out of 800 gallons of propane at 2.30 a gallon.

wood used

i started burnin in october and still burnin..used bout 22 over loaded 3/4 ton truck loads.whatever that is in ricks or cord or inches or feet.??1800 sqf not including the basement..with a clayton 1600..oh ya most of the wood was ash...

About 8 cords(oak, ash and red elm) through my charmaster furnace, another 2 through my stove in my shop and about 100 bushel corn in the corn stove in the basement. Wish I never would have put the corn stove in. I should have added a fireplace insert instead! Corn sure got expensive fast! Alot of good buys on corn stoves though.

Wood Master 4400 . Being conservative I would say 6 to 7 chord of 70 percent hard wood (including much birch) and 30 percent pine and hemlock. I heat 1400 square feet of living space and a 2 car garage. I also get my domestic hot water for 4 people. All in all it beats the heck out of 800 gallons of propane at 2.30 a gallon.

a buck eight y for the propane move to a conservitive state man WOW:buttkick:

Into my 12th face cord so far. That makes 4 cords. Heating a 1800 sq ft 2 story colonial with a lopi freedom fireplace insert.

We burned 6 full cords of oak in the new fireplace and 400 gallons of propane for a 1600 square foot 2 floor house. We also heat the water and cook with the propane. Near as I can tell we saved about 250 to 300 gallons of propane @ 1.53 from other years. But we kept the 1st floor about 6 degrees warmer than normal too. And that heat feels good on older bones. Bring on the global warming, I'm in favor of it.

Last edited:
first year in the house, 2700sf, fireplace xtrordinaire 36. used almost all weekends, and many weeknights after wee got home from work. we burned about 3 cords of mixed woods. about .75 cord i had split myself, and was mostly from 1 silver maple. the rest i bought, as "seasoned firewood" and turned out to be anything but that. lots of hissing, sizzling, and crackling, tough to get going, and tough to keep going. so now i decided to split as much as i can on my own...a little over a cord of oak from one tree so far, with probably another .5 to .75 cord to go from the same tree. probably will try to split a total of 3 for the winter

Latest posts

Back