How Much Wood Did I Stack? Need Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlRockin'

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Ok, so some time went by this Fall and I had a decent firewood pile started. Some of it was already split from some jobs and some just cut to length, so did some splitting as I went along. After working a bit I had stacked one row of good seasoned oak.

Here are the dimensions:

- 14 1/2 feet long
- 5' foot 3" inches high
- Wood length = 20"

I was stacking "by eye" and when I got to the point where I wanted to quit, I did.

Now in your opinion how much wood did I stack?

I would like to see the math you used to get that amount.

After a few replies I'll show you my math to see if I'm on track.

Thanks,

StihlRockin

Last edited:
I say you have yourself a cord of wood.

14.5' x 5.25' x 1.67' = 127 cubic feet

OK, so you're 1 cubic foot short of a cord. Should have split that last round! :msp_tongue:

Wow H-Ranch. I'm impressed.

Here was my math and thoughts...

Stack was 14 1/2 feet long so that equals 14.5
Stack was 5' ft 3" high so that equals 5ft and .25 because 3" is 1/4 of a foot
Stack was 1ft. 8" deep with the 8" equaling .67 because it's 2/3's or .67 of a foot

So my math is 14.5 x 5.25 x 1.67 = 127.12875

Not bad for just guessing "by eye". LOL!

Seriously, I wasn't exactly sure my math was right, but seeing your reply solidifies my guess.

Thanks,

StihlRockin'

Of course had you stacked it before splitting, it would have been a bigger (at least wider or taller or both) stack, and you almost certainly could have called it a cord. Once you split, you get less "air" space between the pieces.

What? Less air space after splitting? No way after splitting you have more air space right?

You take a round, split it up and you can't stack into a space smaller than the original round.

If I have less air space after splitting then my whole world is going to be screwed up.

What? Less air space after splitting? No way after splitting you have more air space right?

You take a round, split it up and you can't stack into a space smaller than the original round.

If I have less air space after splitting then my whole world is going to be screwed up.

What he's talking about is that you can pack it tighter through the entire stack. Obviously, when you split one round, that one round is going to be bigger after it's split.

I believe this has been tested before, it's certainly been discussed to death, but I'm too lazy and uninterested to search for the threads.

Conduct an experiment, buy a cord of rounds, stack it, measure it, then split it, stack it and re-measure it.

Prepare your world.

Ok, so some time went by this Fall and I had a decent firewood pile started. Some of it was already split from some jobs and some just cut to length, so did some splitting as I went along. After working a bit I had stacked one row of good seasoned oak.

Here are the dimensions:

- 14 1/2 feet long
- 5' foot 3" inches high
- Wood length = 20"

I was stacking "by eye" and when I got to the point where I wanted to quit, I did.

Thanks,

StihlRockin

Not enough, git back to stackin! :hmm3grin2orange:

Well if you chip a whole tree it fits in a tighter space namely your truck to exagerate the point!But it seems when you split logs you get more volume from the pieces than whole logs.

Last edited:
What he's talking about is that you can pack it tighter through the entire stack. Obviously, when you split one round, that one round is going to be bigger after it's split. And as you split _each_ round, each one grows. See a problem there?

I believe this has been tested before, it's certainly been discussed to death, but I'm too lazy and uninterested to search for the threads.

Yes, it has been discussed, tested, etc. ad nauseum and each and every time it was proven that splitting makes the pile GROW. But that doesn't keep people from insisting it is the other way around.

Harry K

Yes, it has been discussed, tested, etc. ad nauseum and each and every time it was proven that splitting makes the pile GROW. But that doesn't keep people from insisting it is the other way around.

Harry K

That's because when it gets discussed, half of the people are trying to prove that splitting something makes it larger and the other half are trying to prove they can stack more wood in a space with splits by filling in all the air holes. See a problem there?

That's because when it gets discussed, half of the people are trying to prove that splitting something makes it larger and the other half are trying to prove they can stack more wood in a space with splits by filling in all the air holes. See a problem there?

Why is it that I can dig a hole, put a post in it and never have enough dirt to pack back around it?

Here are the dimensions:

- 14 1/2 feet long
- 5' foot 3" inches high
- Wood length = 20"

Thanks,

StihlRockin

A rick:msp_biggrin:

No because it has been proven by testing that it doesn't pack it tighter. You cn figure the pile will grow about 10% after splitting. There have been several simple experiments proposed that you can try yourself to prove it.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back