How much wood so far

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2+ cords of oak for nights
5+ cords of silver maple(80%)/elm(10%)/ash(10%) for day wood

over 1 cord of daywood was small, 3"dia or less, its a cord by volume, but sure burns up fast.

I'm well into next years stash, so I'll be busy once all this snow goes away to get all the drying time I can, probably stacking/storing differently too.

4-5 cords this year. Red oak, Elm, some i don't know what it is and tulip. this years is about gone, soon will be into next years:(

About 3 cords of oak and elm.
I'm using a US 1600 wood furnace and my LP furnace has not been running yet.

Didnt get my boiler going until Dec 1, but I hav e gone through probably 4 cords heating my house, 1500ft pole barn, and my hot water. Propane is turned right off

Four to five for me. Just got an oil delivery: used to use 170-200 gallons a month for hot water and heat--average now--80 gallons! Got to love the Pacific Energy Company!

about 3 cord here so far.. about average for me. Some years a bit more.

Picked up about 3 cords of oak blocks from a local mill around Aug; started using it in nov (still greenish unfortunately) with 1/2 cord of that left. Downside, some of it got left outside and froze under the rest of my wood pile so working back down to that.

Have burnt about 2 cords of oak slab wood and about 1/2 to 3/4 cord of red pine as well.

This season was not well planned, started a new job, which was eating into my free time a lot. Upside is, my brother inlaw is almost finished his own sawmill on his uncles land. Have around 100 arces total combined between his uncles place and his land (mostly hardwood) so should have a nice supply of slab shortly :p Combine that with some of our friends that have hunting land and want to build cabins without paying for the wood, we should have a nice supply of slab for a few years coming in :p

Tes

About 20 -- pieces. It was all I had left. I had a double hernia two summers ago and didn't get in any wood.

My gas bill is KILLING me....AAAARGH.:cry:

8 cords here, appx 3 in the house, Ashling Waterford, and about 5 in the shop, BIG old earth stove. In the house, all Pine, oh no, believe it or not I have not burned my house down using Pine. In the shop, well lets see, mostly cottonwood, some russion olive, some pine, some willow, and some silver maple. Hows that for wood salad? Some great quality wood there to eh?

My brain isn't working here tonight (really under the weather). I have burned so far:

4 ricks measuring 6.5'x12'x1.3' (16 in lengths)
Plus
1/3 of a 6.5' x 12' x 4' woodshed.

I am getting totally rediculous answers and none match and that is using a calculator. That fever must be worse than I thought.

I'm beginning to wonder if I am going to make it through the heating season with what is left without digging into my outside stacks.

I think I need to visit John barleycorn.

Harry K

Just started on cord number 6, dry oak-maple-ash-beech. I have another 4 to 5 cord left to get me through april.
I have a 3000 square foot, nearly 200 year old mill-house and use [only] a FA-455 Dutchwest for heat.
Last year I only burned 7 to 8 cords, this year has been much colder!

I'm with ya Jack. This winters been due for a few years now. We've been lucky the last 2-3 years. I'm downeast and I use a Glenwood C from around 1919 in my 200+ year old house on the coast. I've put 3 cords of stove wood through the Glenwood and maybe another 3 in the Jotul at the other end. I'm two years out on wood but have only got about 3 left in the barn at the moment. The rest is outside. My place is about 2500sq feet (living space) with the barn and garage attached. The cookstove saves electric too as it's always got kettles on it and pots of something cooking and it bakes quite well too as long as you spin your bread at halftime. :cheers:

I've burned between 8 1/2 and 9 cord so far heating a 2200 sq ft house plus all my hot water. Haven't burned a drop of fuel oil all winter :clap: This is my second year with an older royall indoor boiler and it does a nice job.

I am at about 7 cords of seasoned oak and ash. I also have 2 cords of poplar that I am burning in the garage.

I have two indoor forced air furnaces. One for the house, one for the garage.

I will barely make it with the wood I have. Didn't cut much this summer because of the house remodel(from h@$%).:cry:

Probably about 2 1/2 so far, with another one likely to get used up. Normally, most of that would be oak, followed by maple and hickory. This year, about 3/4 of what I've burned is ash. I know that ash has it's good attributes, but for me the weekness of shorter burn times is an issue. Many times when I come home I need to use kindling to relight, where as there would be plenty of coals from the oak or hickory. The lesson to me of course is that I should have mixed in more of the other stuff, but I'm pretty anal about sticking with the first in first out rotation. But like a lot of you guys, when the wood is free, I'm not complaining!

Back