How much would you pay for this splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

litefoot

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
It will auctioned off tomorrow. It looks to be home-made. Has a 5.5 hp Briggs Intek.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Don't have any info on the hydraulic pump. Thanks! Any help would be appreciated

Were you able to give it a crank and try it out? It seems by looking at the picture that the I beam is a little small, not in width but in highth. Or is it just me?

Last edited:
That's about what I was thinking. Of course, with the low availability of splitters and the big demand to heat with wood, I may go $600 if the unit looks like it can operate well. Let us know what it goes for.

Price a four-way valve, a cylinder, hoses, a 5.5hp motor, a pump, a coupler, a wedge, a tank and a junk yard axle......you will be a bit surprised.

Last edited:
Price a four-way valve, a cylinder, hoses, a 5.5hp motor, a pump, a coupler, a wedge, a tank and a junk yard axle......you will be a bit surprised.
+1! That's why I posted the Burden Surplus Center link for quotes. Making a splitter from purchased parts will usually end up costing more than a new one manufactured. If you can find free scrapped parts, that's a different story.

+1! That's why I posted the Burden Surplus Center link for quotes. Making a splitter from purchased parts will usually end up costing more than a new one manufactured. If you can find free scrapped parts, that's a different story.

True but from Surplus Center you are getting new parts. This splitter looks well used with used parts. I would say $500-600 tops.

Last edited:
not so much for the parts, but i figure someone who has wanted a log splitter sees a chance to get this one already made. just bring it home and plug n' play, would be willing to dish out at least $700.

just like anything else, as firewood is taking off in popularity, the price of everything wood related shall rise too.

yes but in 2-3 years alot of peole will say screw this, and sell their gear off nice and cheap cuse its too much work for them.:biggrinbounce2:

lol...yep...i agree. right now, all they can see is cheaper utility bills....until they spend a day in the woods, poison ivy, bug bites, sore backs, expensive saws, etc etc. then burning wood loses it's romanticism.

you gotta be hard core about it or stay away from it.

others are going to think they're getting into a get-rich-quick business, and they, too, find out the competition is tuff and the work is hard.

lol...yep...i agree. right now, all they can see is cheaper utility bills....until they spend a day in the woods, poison ivy, bug bites, sore backs, expensive saws, etc etc. then burning wood loses it's romanticism.

You gotta be hard core about it or stay away from it.

Others are going to think they're getting into a get-rich-quick business, and they, too, find out the competition is tuff and the work is hard.
Interesting, MGA... Here's something else interesting... Fuel prices are suddenly dropping and the heating season is getting closer. Late last spring, people were scrambling for log splitters and wood.

Then they found out that it took work to bring in the "gold". Now we can't even convince someone to spend $500 on a used log splitter at an auction.

Looks like that once again I don't have to worry about people using up all the firewood to live through the winter. It's just too easy to turn on the thermostat and then turn it up a little when it gets cold. Hooray! :cheers:

Interesting, MGA... Here's something else interesting... Fuel prices are suddenly dropping and the heating season is getting closer. Late last spring, people were scrambling for log splitters and wood.

Then they found out that it took work to bring in the "gold". Now we can't even convince someone to spend $500 on a used log splitter at an auction.

Looks like that once again I don't have to worry about people using up all the firewood to live through the winter. It's just too easy to turn on the thermostat and then turn it up a little when it gets cold. Hooray! :cheers:

lol...no argument from me.

but, you think that log splitter in the OP won't sell for $500?

lol...no argument from me.

but, you think that log splitter in the OP won't sell for $500?
With all the tightwads that we have out there who are looking at gasoline prices that just dropped 20%? Heck no. The bidders at that auction will penny pinch until the cows come home and squeeze the original builder of that log splitter to death with hems and haws.

After all, that log splitter means "work" to get an energy cost payback, and work is a 4-letter word. :bowdown:

Latest posts

Back