How not to limb a tree out.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kind of follows along this train of thought.
EM2ady6.jpg
im trying to figure out where the rest of the other bobcat is? the loader arms are there, but wheres the rest?!?!?!? haha

911 Call Center: Hello, this is 911 emergency.
Caller: It's BillyJoeJimBob again.
911 Call Center: (sighs) Ok, we'll be out again.

Just curious, what kind of cut would you guys have used. (I know there's a LOT of other things that you would have done differently, but I'm just asking about the cut.)

A simple undercut? A 90* notch from the bottom?

Just curious, what kind of cut would you guys have used. (I know there's a LOT of other things that you would have done differently, but I'm just asking about the cut.)

id prefer this haha
if not then under cut 1/3-1/2 way through, then a top cut about 1" from the under cut, lets the limb fall pretty even to the ground instead of acting like a hinge and swinging the limb into something/someone. but that would apply to a situation like this, where theres nothing to avoid, if there were things to avoid hitting, then different cuts,rigging, etc. would be needed...

While the cut is ugly, that is not the reason for the accident. Being on a ladder is the cause of the accident. Any cut you make has the potential to knock the ladder.

When I was around 14 my dad took me to the log yard to teach me to run a saw, with an old blue and white Homelite that weighed a ton. I think it was an old XL-12. One of the things he told me that day was; " if you mix chainsaws and ladders, it's not a question of IF you'll get hurt, but WHEN". I've seen those words proven out many times.

Years ago... many years ago (young, dumb and bullet-proof), when I lived on the edge of town, I had a huge oak in the back yard. About 20 feet or so up the trunk protruded a monster branch running out near horizontal for probably thirty feet. I wanted that branch gone... and figured the best way would be to drop it in three sections. So I set my extension ladder up leaning against the branch about 2/3 or so out from the trunk... it just barely reached. I climbed up there with my trusty camping bow saw and went to work. When the end of that branch fell the remainder sprung upward lifting me off the ladder (I had my left arm over the branch). The branch sprung up enough that the ladder wasn't long enough any more, sending the ladder crashing to the ground. Luckily my left arm was over the branch or I'd have gone crashing down with the ladder... but unluckily no one else was around. After pulling myself up onto the branch and shimmying over to the trunk, I spend the next 4 friggin' hours sittin' there waiting for a neighbor to come home from work.

That is one of those lessons ya' just never forget.
I'm busting my ass laughing over here.. But not at you.. In my younger years i could see me doing some dumb ass stunt like that..

Heck, it's OK if'n ya' are laughing at me... I do‼
If'n a fella' can't laugh at himself... he shouldn't be laughin' at all.
I laugh at myself all the time.. Life is to short to be serious... unless someone tries to feed ya cheap beer.. Then its time to rethink who your friends are lol

Hey, there's a trick to drinkin' cheap beer... ya' haf'ta prime the system a bit with the "good" stuff first.
If'n ya' have a good prime started ya' hardly notice the difference... but ya' gotta' be careful, prime the system too heavy and ya' won't hardly notice the difference if they feed ya' sour owl pizz (takes a pretty darn heavy priming though).
:D

Tie in above and make the notch/undercut so that it swings away from you

Or walk out and take it in 2 or 3 pieces. Sometimes with that much weight hanging so far away from the trunk.....the saw cant get through the top cut fast enough before the limb snaps (chairs) and you lose control of where you want it to go

Back