How not to loose E clips

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wow

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm sure I'm not the ONLY one who has had an E clip fly off when taking it off or putting it back on..In this photo you will see an E clip with a piece of dental floss attached..It's about 24 inches long.. When It goes back on the dental floss will be secured to my finger..If the clip flies off I won't be looking for it.. Just passing a Tip I learned the hard way...Some saws use an E clip on the Clutch drum..Have a great day..20210903_192351-01-01.jpeg

Interesting idea.

I hold a rag over the 'E'-clip when removing or installing with a screwdriver or pliers. And I try to carry extras!

For installation on a STIHL drive sprocket, I was shown how to set the 'E'-clip in place; place the large end of the scrench tube over everything; then push it sideways until it snaps. Sort of a captive environment. Your tip would work in a lot of places where this is not possible.

Philbert

This is the smartest thing I've ever seen lol
When installing I often put a socket over the eclip if I can to try and avoid a lunar landing, but it doesn't guarantee anything. My ariens goes thru starter gears more often than I'd like (bad starter fit,I think I finally fixed it) and it has the most evil eclip setup,I actually had to make a tool and I still lost the clip sometimes. I took to slapping a giant magnet on the housing next to it as I worked, it would catch the flying jerk 1 in 3, and made a convenient tool/part holder

Latest posts

Back