How often should I clean this chimney?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodlumn

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Happy autumn!

Last year I had my chimney lined with a stainless, corrugated liner. The only thing that the chimney services is a small potbelly stove that we use for supplemental heating. Last year I burned maybe 40 fires in it, consisting mostly of black locust and oak. Hot fires.

I'm wondering if I should have the chimney cleaned before I put it to use again this season.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Well, can you get a flashlight and look? Doesn't sound like too much use. Now I am not gonna say you don't need it, but unless you choked down and smoldered all those fires and used green wood, I doubt it is sooted up yet.

You are gonna own it forever, so might as well pop for a brush and rods kit, learn to do it yourself, then you'll know it is good to go every season.

Might as well clean it and get into the habit of doing it every year, when I first started burning I didn't clean it for three years:eek:, my 7x7 clay tiles where choked down to half the size. Since then I clean it every year and get about a quart or so of soot and thats burning 2 to 3 year old season wood.

Latest posts

Back