How old to qualify as vintage?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derf

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
How old would you say a saw has to be to qualify as vintage?

For example, I’m a husky guy. Can you say that any saw that has been replaced by a more modern variant is vintage? Is the 394 vintage because it was replaced by the 395xp? Is the 371 vintage because it was replaced by the 372? What about is the 372xp OE being vintage because it was replaced by the 372xp x-torq?

Maybe we should consider production years? They stopped making most of the 3-series saws a few years ago. Do the ones that they discontinued count as vintage? Is a 346xp or 357xp vintage? Does a recently discontinued saw like a 395xp count as vintage now, or must you wait some amount of time?

They definitely stopped making all the 2-series saws a while ago (at least outside of a 288 in Brazil). Do those count as vintage? Is a 262, 266, or 272 vintage?

Is it more about the model, or is it about the year it was made? For example, is a 575, or a recently produced 288 still a vintage saw? Does a saw need to be 10, 20, or 30 years old to qualify?

What’s the consensus opinion on when a saw become vintage?

no anti vibe, no chain brake, points ignition for the ones that have spark plugs. 1976? 25 years old? Just guessing. For registered vehicles my state has something like an early American plate for 25 years old or more and the tax assessment is $500 not what it is really worth.

It's completely subjective, I've seen things as recently made as 1995 referred to as "vintage". It's become an entirely overused and abused word by people selling old junk on Craigslist.
Me personally I think I like to consider anything older than 1980 as vintage.

It's completely subjective, I've seen things as recently made as 1995 referred to as "vintage". It's become an entirely overused and abused word by people selling old junk on Craigslist.
Me personally I think I like to consider anything older than 1980 as vintage.

It really depends on what it is.

I'd consider a box of Mac and Cheese from 1995 to be vintage.
I'd consider a truck from 95 to be fairly new... maybe 1960-early 70s and older for that category.

I bought a 2008 Dodge 5500 last winter from the dealer. After I bought it, they acted like they finally got rid of that "antique" truck.
I checked on a trim piece it needed and was told, "not sure if we can get anything that old"
Huh? It's damn nearg brand new!

As far as chainsaw, anything older than what is consider common parts these days.

Ie, swivel carb, 1/2" chain, no muffler (by design), 2 man.

It really depends on what it is.

I'd consider a box of Mac and Cheese from 1995 to be vintage.
I'd consider a truck from 95 to be fairly new... maybe 1960-early 70s and older for that category.

I bought a 2008 Dodge 5500 last winter from the dealer. After I bought it, they acted like they finally got rid of that "antique" truck.
I checked on a trim piece it needed and was told, "not sure if we can get anything that old"
Huh? It's damn nearg brand new!
My Dad is still driving his 1995 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 8.0 liter v10, he maintains it and its still a good truck that pulls like an ox. Cars have become so disposable, the attitude is to just replace them instead of keeping them on the road.

I consider my poulan 4000s as modern lol and my 10 series Macs are vintage even though there not far apart there sort of a different generation really although the AV 10 series kinda throws that away but still horizontal cylinder. One 4000 has a chain brake too.

A 5 series husky no doubt makes a countervibe rather vintagey lol

My Dad is still driving his 1995 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 8.0 liter v10, he maintains it and its still a good truck that pulls like an ox. Cars have become so disposable, the attitude is to just replace them instead of keeping them on the road.

Maybe one day I'll be able to consider something that costs 20-30k or more as disposable!

A while back, I saw a kid walking out of a hardware store, arms loaded with quarts of oil, and to his car, a vintage chevy Vega... I had to follow him and talk to him, to see if the engine was original.
It was...
I would put a Pinto, Pacer, and Gremlin in that same class.

If we're talking about saw, anything designed and built without the aid of a computer. As said earlier, points ignition, all metal, no anti-vibe, no chain brake.

That’s definitely a class of saws not seen since the late 70’s / early 80’s; definitely 40+ years old at this point. By 1984 my Husqvarna 254 had induction pickup coil ignition, a plastic tank and covers, rubber AV damping and a safety chain brake. The spring AV came in 1990. I guess vintage is being able to say “they don’t make them like that any more.”

Since we’re moving into the age of EPA mandated strato cylinders, computer controlled carbs, fuel injection, and batteries, at what point will our future selves consider ‘vintage’ to simply be anything that has a standard two-stroke cylinder without strato ports, has a basic, non-computer controlled carb you adjust with a screwdriver, and still runs on gas?

"Vintage" is supposed to be paired with a date. Just saying "vintage" alone is a meaningless marketing term. "Vintage 1960" has meaning, "vintage 1920" has meaning, "vintage" alone means "possibly old so I'm charging more when I sell it." Remember there are people walking around for whom 1990 is considered old.

Same way "patina" has a specific meaning in some circumstances, but in most sales ads it means "I didn't clean it".

Maybe one day I'll be able to consider something that costs 20-30k or more as disposable!
I use the word "disposable" in regards to the attitude of auto manufacturers and the average car buyer. Im with you, if I spend 20K on a car I want it to last me. I paid about 18K for my 2011 Camry (stick shift!). Almost 100K miles and going strong, no interest in replacing for at least another 100K miles or 10 years. I have it heavily rustproofed to keep it together as long as possible. The exhaust will probably be the first to fall victim to road salt (the bane of my existence).

I'm 67: my bar isn't what it used to be, if I strain much stuff comes out the exhaust, when I work hard I sound like Chitty Chitty bang bang and I won't start in the morning if I'm not careful of what I take in the night before. I'M VINTAGE.
A little ether in the intake will help get you going .

Back