How short is too short????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tramp bushler

tramp bushler

Addicted to ArboristSite
Interior ,Alaska, Copper River Valley,, Coastal Al
why thank you how nice to be young again :msp_smile: k well you maybe a gun logger that cuts big old growth and needs a long bar but us silly young bucks cut little stuff that only needs short bars... even with my ignorance and inexperiance i think a 20in bar can take on a 18in look out even say 30in log.. i dont see how a 32in bar would do that better..yes fine on big cuts a long bar but really i do not get at all what you said :confused2: LOL...here even a 70in log can be fell with a 24 bar but that might just be my ignorance and inexperiance showing lol...its all good some do it this way some do it that way :msp_smile:

Yup its your ignorance and lack of experience .

tramp bushler

tramp bushler

Addicted to ArboristSite
Regarding cutting speed, obviously, the shorter, the better. For comfort, I have no idea how tall you are, but trial and error will let you know what you want.

I do a decent amount of milling with my saws, and tend to cant the log with one bar & chain, and then slab it with another setup, the shortest possible.

For general use, I like running a McCulloch 7-10a (early 1970's 70cc saw) with a 16" bar. I should mention that I don't live in old growth country by any measure.

I was running a 7-10 McCoulock with a 16" bar in 1975 .. but why once a boy becane a man would he want to stay in boy size timber with a boys length bar . My word !!

tramp bushler

tramp bushler

Addicted to ArboristSite
hey Tramp! awful lot of wieners aren't there?:hmm3grin2orange:

Man . I mean how bone headed . It'de be like me tellin you or Bob how to fall redwood or me tellin Tarzan or Rounder how to cut helicopter timber , or me tellin Bitzer or Hammer or OT or Mingo how to cut hardwood .

Stupid @#$%&*-+$%&)-+(+ . I'de love to have a bunch of these Short bar @#$%&*-+()!"&%$@ buck behind me watch their faces when a buck they were hung up in rolls and pivots and rips the maincasee of their precious short bar pos o

RandyMac

RandyMac

Stiff Member
Man . I mean how bone headed . It'de be like me tellin you or Bob how to fall redwood or me tellin Tarzan or Rounder how to cut helicopter timber , or me tellin Bitzer or Hammer or OT or Mingo how to cut hardwood .

Stupid @#$%&*-+$%&)-+(+ . I'de love to have a bunch of these Short bar @#$%&*-+()!"&%$@ buck behind me watch their faces when a buck they were hung up in rolls and pivots and rips the maincasee of their precious short bar pos o

Lord have mercy!

Buhhahahah!!!

marti384

marti384

ArboristSite Guru
I have a 044 at work that always has a 18" on it with 3/8", .050 gauge. Cut down a couple hundred dead ash this winter from emerald ash borer. I would have preferred a longer bar on the bigger trees, but the employer doesn't make one available. After it is on the ground and you have to cut firewood out of the top, a shorter bar works nice. Never broke a chain.

tramp bushler

tramp bushler

Addicted to ArboristSite
Can you imagine tryin t get the root off of 30" stump diameter fresh blowdown with a 20" bar .

Get right in there and kiss it . Or try limbing nice big Sitka Spruce . I have a deformed stickin out jnuckle on my left hand from a live wire red cedar limb that smashed and crushed the outside half of it . And I was using the tip of a 36" bar on my 394 .

S B M F

Last edited:
tramp bushler

tramp bushler

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have a 044 at work that always has a 18" on it with 3/8", .050 gauge. Cut down a couple hundred dead ash this winter from emerald ash borer. I would have preferred a longer bar on the bigger trees, but the employer doesn't make one available. After it is on the ground and you have to cut firewood out of the top, a shorter bar works nice. Never broke a chain.

Look if your employer is providing the tools then I guess thats what you got goin on . But I can tell you the truth , if you had a 28" bar on it and Sharp chains it would have been better , safer and more fun . I fell a couple hundred White Spruce this past winter with a 20" bar on my 372 Wrap Husky . Because the saw would just fit in the cab of my loader . Finally I just couldn't stand it any more . Ran 28-32" for the rest of the winter , kept the saw behind the cab on the engine cover .

bplust

bplust

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I was running a 7-10 McCoulock with a 16" bar in 1975 .. but why once a boy becane a man would he want to stay in boy size timber with a boys length bar . My word !!

I live in Vermont, there isn't very much large timber. For the occasional larger tree, I'll of course use an appropriately sized saw/bar. But for general use, I stick to a 7-10 with a 16-18" bar, and it's all I need 90% of the time.

tramp bushler

tramp bushler

Addicted to ArboristSite
I live in Vermont, there isn't very much large timber. For the occasional larger tree, I'll of course use an appropriately sized saw/bar. But for general use, I stick to a 7-10 with a 16-18" bar, and it's all I need 90% of the time.

Right . But you qualified your statement with where you live and the size of timber you cut . North America is a Big place . Alot of timber is cut on ground that is anything but flat.
Alot of times . The trees have to be fell accurately . And rapidly . Short bars really don't accecel at that .

Overtrained

Overtrained

Not crazy, Stoopid!

Dont hold back, tell us how you really feel! Decaf coffee only for this man today:hmm3grin2orange:

homelitejim

homelitejim

Full of Scrap
Is it bad when I go to cut wood I grab different saws with different bar lengths instead of just grabbing different length bars and chains for one saw, of which I have a lot of either?

tramp bushler

tramp bushler

Addicted to ArboristSite