How should a damaged chain be sharpened?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgmagone

Reaction score
I hit a rock (and then threw my chain and it was caught by the chain-catcher) with my chainsaw last weekend. Several teeth were dinged up pretty bad. I estimate the top plate of some of the teeth had .030 to .060 of damaged chrome.

Since I didn't want to work on the chain this much, I took it to the dealer to have it sharpened. They took care of it and I picked up it yesterday. Much to my surprise I still see quite a bit of damage on the chromed top plate and the working corner of the teeth. I asked the dealer and they said no problem, the working corner doesn't do much cutting anyway and it will work fine.

I thought the working corner was the most important thing to have sharp and that any damage on the top plate of the cutter should be completely removed for the chain to work in new condition.

Do any of you have opinions on this? I'd like to trust the dealer but am confused as to why I still see damage on the cutters.

I hit a rock (and then threw my chain and it was caught by the chain-catcher) with my chainsaw last weekend. Several teeth were dinged up pretty bad. I estimate the top plate of some of the teeth had .030 to .060 of damaged chrome.

Since I didn't want to work on the chain this much, I took it to the dealer to have it sharpened. They took care of it and I picked up it yesterday. Much to my surprise I still see quite a bit of damage on the chromed top plate and the working corner of the teeth. I asked the dealer and they said no problem, the working corner doesn't do much cutting anyway and it will work fine.

I thought the working corner was the most important thing to have sharp and that any damage on the top plate of the cutter should be completely removed for the chain to work in new condition.

Do any of you have opinions on this? I'd like to trust the dealer but am confused as to why I still see damage on the cutters.
I renew to new edge. I have seen that kinda sharpening before,
not for me! I will renew the edge and drags if needed.

when in doubt.. pitch the chain!

dealer was trying to save a chain. usually you will grind all teeth to same size. so if you grind bad teeth down enough to take out all damage. most of the tooth will be gone. then if you match up rest of chain with bad tooth. entire chain will be mostly used up.

so dealer probably figured.... it's better to have a chain with a few bad tooth. but still usable, than to end up with a worn out chain. :chainsaw:

when in doubt.. pitch the chain!

I have almost always hucked a rocked out chain in the garbage... if I don't pitch it, I give it to someone who will want to try and save it...

Be my guest... but once a chain is rocked out and some of the cutters are filed down further than the rest the chain can get grabby...

I dunno... I ain't as "thrifty" as most people... I want performance out of my power equipment, and I really don't give a rip to try and save somethin' that is gonna cut like crap in the long run...

I consider myself an above average hand filer, and can bring my chains right up to snuff when needed. But saving chains is a PITA to me... Not that my time is that valuable...

Anyways some of you guys might have got good results from savin' a rocked out chan... I have just never gave to much of a care to save any...

Gary

I have almost always hucked a rocked out chain in the garbage... if I don't pitch it, I give it to someone who will want to try and save it...

Be my guest... but once a chain is rocked out and some of the cutters are filed down further than the rest the chain can get grabby...

I dunno... I ain't as "thrifty" as most people... I want performance out of my power equipment, and I really don't give a rip to try and save somethin' that is gonna cut like crap in the long run...

I consider myself an above average hand filer, and can bring my chains right up to snuff when needed. But saving chains is a PITA to me... Not that my time is that valuable...

Anyways some of you guys might have got good results from savin' a rocked out chan... I have just never gave to much of a care to save any...

Gary

I would feel the same, until I bought my machine sharpener; makes quick
work out of a rocked chain!

I save and fix rocked chains with my Granberg jig. It works good for me. If the chain is getting over half worn out, then I may throw it at the trash can, depending on what mood Im in.

Gary
I feel much the same way Gary, if the chain is above 50% I might try to save it for a rough job or a spare but if it was 50% or under its toast. With the number of chains I have around I don`t need a lot of spares. Pioneerguy600

I'd run it with the understanding that it will require sharpening more frequently than a "good" chain, at least until the resharpenings get it back into the clean chrome.

I'm not as frugal as some people, either, but there's no sense throwing away a good "firewood" chain. I might not use it where perfection matters - felling, paid work, etc - but it'll certainly work for blocking up stuff that I bring home.

A chain filed all the way back to the laser mark on the tooths top plate can cut very quick because of its narrow cut.But of course to cut efficiently the bar rail groove has to be tight ,the depth gauges [rakers] lowered accordingly and the teeths side plate has to have just enough hook. A rocked chain can be discouraging to sharpen especially if the teeth are 1/2 filed down or less.A little advice if your running 24" or longer, run full skip chain it saves alot of filing. Always use sharp files ,throw away the dull files instead of the dull chain its alot cheaper. To keep your files lasting longer,only apply downward pressure on the file on the push stroke .Pressure on the back stroke quickly dulls the file. Tap the end of the file on the guide bar in between each tooth sharpening to clean the file of built up filings.Don't handle the files tooth area with your bare hands. The acids from the sweat and oils of your skin will soften the files teeth.Handle it by the very end or the tang when taking a new one out of the box.
When your chains teeth are filed 1/2 ways back switch to the next size smaller file [example] 7/32" to 13/64".A smaller file makes filing a heck of a lot easier. Always use a good Swiss made file they make life alot easier.You can't beat Baileys' prices.

Back